IGNORED

Aleatoric/generative/algorithmic composition apps/plugins/etc

modey

Guest pafr

I'm mainly interested in music feature extraction and recognition and music generation. For instance each artist has a certain 'style', works with genres especially, like all country music sound the same. You can extract that from midi for instance. Train a machine learning classifier for each category (e.g. Bach style classifier, modern pop melody classifier, etc.) kern humdrum seems like a pretty cool tool for extracting those styles.

The recognition part helps in the automatic generation part. Theoretically, I can generate Bach style music automatically if the classifier is good at identifying Bach's style through his midi compositions.

I mainly want to use generated midi notes for polyphonic harmony. Then I'll export the midi to Ableton for edit. Basically, it saves me time from having to actually compose motifs and their variations.

Machine learning technology isn't great for completely automated music generation. It's mostly great for assisted music composition by letting computer to do some of the tedious works.

Guest pafr

I don't think Max is the best sound programming language given how much you have to pay for it. PureData is basically the same as Max and is free and has a lot of support. Max is well-known for its graphic interface. Personally, I think CSound is the best and most powerful audio language. I don't like graphical interfaces, feels cumbersome to me other than using Ableton for manual sequencing. SuperCollider has been well-known especially for algorithmic music generation.

I don't think Max is the best sound programming language given how much you have to pay for it. PureData is basically the same as Max and is free and has a lot of support. Max is well-known for its graphic interface. Personally, I think CSound is the best and most powerful audio language. I don't like graphical interfaces, feels cumbersome to me other than using Ableton for manual sequencing. SuperCollider has been well-known especially for algorithmic music generation.

why is Csound better than SuperCollider?

Guest pafr

MATLAB

i'm having a hard time learning it but it's just because my teachers suck...

if you're good at math you'll love it!

Retardation a celebration

Edit: actually I'm sorry. I realized this forum isn't really the best place to talk about musicology and research.

Edited by pafr

Guest pafr

why is Csound better than SuperCollider?

Csound is the most generic music programming language, as far as I know. More popular than SuperCollider, and more users, probably also due to more generic useage. Csound is probably has a steeper learning curve. Generally, the more generic a programming language is, the more you can do. C has always been one of the most powerful programming languages, for instance having pointers in C makes it harder to use than say Java or Python but allows you to do more in C.

MATLAB

Edit: actually I'm sorry. I realized this forum isn't really the best place to talk about musicology and research.

and why would you say that?

Guest pafr

MATLAB

because MATLAB isn't really good for music production. It's great for programming your mom to cum.

because MATLAB isn't really good for music production. It's great for programming Aleatoric/generative/algorithmic composition apps/plugins/etc though...

i'm not saying it's better than anything sugested till now...

i've used csound and in a semester i was able to build my own synth from sctratch, and the nice thing about it, was that i was really understanding what i was doing, i felt in control!

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Guest pafr

because MATLAB isn't really good for music production. It's great for programming Aleatoric/generative/algorithmic composition apps/plugins/etc though...

i've used csound and in a semester i was able to build my own synth from sctratch, and the nice thing about it, was that i was really understanding what i was doing, i felt in control!

ok that's fine. Thanks for letting me know that you've built a synth in Csound.

ok that's fine. Thanks for letting me know that you've built a synth in Csound.

why do you sound so condescending? have we talked before?

the main thing about my reply was not me informing you i made a synth, it was me correcting you. care to elaborate about that?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Guest pafr

ok, so you've made synth in Csound, and you suck at learning MATLAB. Those are good examples to justify that MATLAB is better than Csound. I've not made synth in Csound, and I've never used MATLAB, so you have a bigger dick. Happy now?

I was condescending because I thought you were trolling since MATLAB is probably one of the least used for music production. You are better off with programming languages in Python, C (you have Csound), Java, etc, than MATLAB.

Yes, MATLAB is used in machine learning and algorithms. So are other programming languages. In algorithmic music, music is the most important part, algorithmic is the second most important part. So simply it makes sense to find a programming language that has a lot of sound/music support and generic/flexible enough to do algorithmic generation.

Guest pafr

glad to know it was nothing personal :)

why would it be personal? who the fuck are you? I've already wasted my time and energy explaining to you, oh well... I didn't really feel like responding anyways. Cheers.

I realized this forum isn't really the best place to talk about musicology and research.

cause MATLAB It's great for programming your mom to cum. I fucking hate men

i'm really sorry i've made you waste your time and energy. cheers

Edited by xox

I realized this forum isn't really the best place to talk about musicology and research.

cause MATLAB It's great for programming your mom to cum. I fucking hate men

i'm really sorry i've made you waste your time and energy. cheers

wow, folding space time continuum, mindblows :emotawesomepm9:

• 3 years later...

If you can track down a used copy, Koan Pro is still very good. Unless things have changed in the last few years it is long unavailable through legitimate means, unfortunately.

Realtime on the Atari ST IS PRETTY interesting, too, and is available free at Tim's Atari Music Wolrd or whatever that site is called (not going to track it down right now because I'm at work posting from my phone). It's the closest thing to an Ableton Live style performance sequencer that was out there in the early 90s (MIDI only obviously)