IGNORED

Recommend some headphones to me, please.

NorthernFusion

I've got the grado ps1000. Expensive but quite good.

Edit: I'm kidding, those are like $1700.

zole, here I was umming and ahhing about possibly spending $270 on headphones yesterday—I nearly caved and bought some ridiculous SOL REPUBLIC headphones just because they were super comfy and METALLIC BLUE; luckily I went into an actual headphone store and tried the AIAIAI headphones, which sounded quite noticeably better.

$1700 headphones just sounds excessive, imo. I'd say $500 would be my absolute upper limit, but even then they'd have to be orgasmically amazing for me to even consider buying them.

Same here, except my budget is more like, say... $50? :/

Do you want something for home listening or mobile?

Home - the more studio/monitor minded the better. Cheap earbuds at work suffice, as do my car speakers on the road.

Koss PortaPro

This. The portapro's pack pretty killer sound, if you can get down with the design (i dig it). I use them for on-the-go pair, and have grado sr60's for home / stereo listening.

Sweet, I'll keep these in mind for I do want better "on the go" headphones.

Save some more money; I haven't found any decent headphones under $50. Sennheiser canalphones are alright but they break easily.

+1 Cheap Sennheisers are great value for money, but they're incredibly short term.

Good to know. I'll look at the other recs

Do you want something for home listening or mobile?

Home - the more studio/monitor minded the better. Cheap earbuds at work suffice, as do my car speakers on the road.

Koss PortaPro

This. The portapro's pack pretty killer sound, if you can get down with the design (i dig it). I use them for on-the-go pair, and have grado sr60's for home / stereo listening.

Sweet, I'll keep these in mind for I do want better "on the go" headphones.

Save some more money; I haven't found any decent headphones under $50. Sennheiser canalphones are alright but they break easily.

+1 Cheap Sennheisers are great value for money, but they're incredibly short term.

Good to know. I'll look at the other recs

In that price range the Audio-Technica ATH M-30's are pretty good. If you can wait a bit and spend ~$80 the AKG K240's really highly regarded, but I don't have a pair.

I've got the grado ps1000. Expensive but quite good.

Edit: I'm kidding, those are like $1700.

zole, here I was umming and ahhing about possibly spending $270 on headphones yesterday—I nearly caved and bought some ridiculous SOL REPUBLIC headphones just because they were super comfy and METALLIC BLUE; luckily I went into an actual headphone store and tried the AIAIAI headphones, which sounded quite noticeably better.

$1700 headphones just sounds excessive, imo. I'd say $500 would be my absolute upper limit, but even then they'd have to be orgasmically amazing for me to even consider buying them.

What I actually own is the sony xbr-1000. I think they were $500. People may laugh, but I think they're incredible headphones. The huge earpads distance the driver from your eardrum, and create a HUGE soundstage. This makes the listening experience great, even at lower volumes. They are the best headphones I've owned or heard, even though "audiophiles" will laugh.

highly recommended.

Huh, interesting. My experience with Sony headphones was that they were overpriced brand-name bullshit (that said, I did have a pair of MDR-P180s that lasted me a long time and weren't terrible for the $30 price). I'll have to try them sometime!

Huh, interesting. My experience with Sony headphones was that they were overpriced brand-name bullshit (that said, I did have a pair of MDR-P180s that lasted me a long time and weren't terrible for the $30 price). I'll have to try them sometime!

I recommend the higher end ones. Like I said, so called "audiophiles" will laugh but I really really enjoy the soundstage and freq range + sensitivity. The xbr-1000s are great. It's too bad they're discontinued.

I use Grado SR-60s for "cheap" but decent headphones at work. You guys with isolating headphones on the job must work in some magical fairyland where your boss doesn't yell for you from down the hall every 6 minutes.

Bastards.

Edit: I modded the headband with a nice leather piece. The stock SR-60 headband is light enough but not padded at all.

Grados are fun to mod.

I use Grado SR-60s for "cheap" but decent headphones at work. You guys with isolating headphones on the job must work in some magical fairyland where your boss doesn't yell for you from down the hall every 6 minutes.

Bastards.

Edit: I modded the headband with a nice leather piece. The stock SR-60 headband is light enough but not padded at all.

Grados are fun to mod.

heh, I work in a super-open office where it's usually so quiet that any leakage from headphones (or yeah, loud voices) would be frowned upon. As a result, I'd usually wear canalphones, but when my Sennheisers started to die I decided to not buy another pair, because they don't last very long at all (6 months–1 year).

But yeah, everyone's used to me not being able to hear them so they just don't bother trying to get my attention verbally anymore.

edit: yeah, I wasn't impressed with the comfort level on stock Grados. The Alessandro series is a bit better; the MS-1 headband is a little padded and the stock earpads are pretty comfy (I swapped them out with some yellow ones though which are a bit more firm but not uncomfortable).

Archived