DeepChord - Lanterns

Cat: AI 01

Double 180 gram Crystal/Red/Blue coloured vinyl 12" + poster

20th May 2014

A1 Red Lantern (parts 1 & 2)
B1 Red Lantern (part 3)

C1 Blue Lantern (part 1)
D1 Blue Lantern (part 2)

"DeepChord has a new album on the way called Lanterns.

The LP sees Rod Modell move away from his favoured outlets in recent years, Soma and his own echospace [detroit], to provide the first release on Astral Industries, a new London-based label and club night. The party launched back in August 2013 with a party in Brixton headlined by Modell.

The label has gone all-out on the packaging for Lanterns, which will be released on double 180gm coloured vinyl, with hand-drawn artwork and a bonus poster. The three-part "Red Lantern" suite that opens the album "is an ode to the eerie red glow that once beckoned sailors to the port of Amsterdam," a press release says. The two-part "Blue Lantern" that follows is pitched as classic DeepChord, "merging dub techno and ambient experimentation." "

Hurray for vinyl fetishism. Will wait for the vinyl rip to surface since these guys have sworn off digital (and CD). Cunts. Looking forward to it though!

Guest jasondonervan

ipMGRJYCsWTYT.jpg

Statement from the label:

"Hi guys,

Just a few things I want to address here.

Unfortunately the amount a shop wants to mark up our product is totally out of our hands. I am not going to go into details here but I can tell you that the mark-up is significant – I can only apologise as there is absolutely nothing we can do about this. That said, there are a number of ways we have tried to make sure people parting with a bit more money for our product is a bit less painful:

1. We have tried to create a product that is art both in terms of the music on there but also the physical product itself. The vinyl is 180g crystal clear with flecks of blue on one 12 and flecks of red on the other 12. The artwork is entirely hand-drawn and there is a high quality matte finish poster in there too. The label ethos will always be to go for a premium product with more love and care put into the creative process.

2. Rod has included over an hours worth of music on here and there will never, ever be any re-presses or a digital release.

3.This is a gatefold release and not just a 2x12”.

I completely understand that the price is high and a lot to ask of money to ask people to part with. I will look to try and clear this up through our distro as it isn’t really fair on anyone - neither the consumers nor those involved in the creative process.

We look forward to getting this out and look forward to providing something a little bit unique with every release in future. Thanks all for the support."

Yeah saw that. It continues.

I appreciate the comments and understand where everyone is coming from. Ultimately it isn't in my hands and I am just trying to remain a little bit accountable by explaining our side of things as nicely as possible. If people don't want to buy it then no problem. Just to clarify Woony, it isn't coloured vinyl, it is crystal vinyl, which is significantly more expensive to produce.

Thanks all for the support,

AI

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=24596

Haha, "crystal vinyl". Isn't the verdict that colored vinyl doesn't sound as good as traditional black anyways? Who actually cares about the color of the record after the first 15 secs of looking at it?

Yeah saw that. It continues.

I appreciate the comments and understand where everyone is coming from. Ultimately it isn't in my hands and I am just trying to remain a little bit accountable by explaining our side of things as nicely as possible. If people don't want to buy it then no problem. Just to clarify Woony, it isn't coloured vinyl, it is crystal vinyl, which is significantly more expensive to produce.

Thanks all for the support,

AI

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=24596

Haha, "crystal vinyl". Isn't the verdict that colored vinyl doesn't sound as good as traditional black anyways? Who actually cares about the color of the record after the first 15 secs of looking at it?

Playing devil's advocate here - I'm not sure if what they mean by "crystal" vinyl is actually just clear vinyl, but for what it's worth, clear vinyl is the default "original" form of vinyl, and not black like everyone thinks.

Fair enough, though black is enough of a standard. I have a feeling they're talking about that marbled vinyl with the speckles and what not in it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jasondonervan

For some reason all echospace and deepchord stuff is insanely expensive on vinyl. It seems to sell anyway so I guess the model works for them. Count me out though.

It is a tiny label in the grand scheme of things. Anyone into their output knows by know how meticulous Rod is with quality control on the mastering and production of everything released, sometimes (all the time?) to the detriment of the label's bottom line. Vinyl pricing has gone way up across the board, which obviously affects smaller labels the hardest. It staggers me to see 12"s released generally the wrong side of a tenner, but them's the times we live in now...

Could be worse I suppose... http://boomkat.com/vinyl/690432-deepchord-10-11-12-remastered

Like I said, if it works for them they can charge what they like. I know a couple of people who are involved with small labels and none of them make much money from it.

For me though, I'd have picked it up for normal 2x12" price but 33 + postage is just too much.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasondonervan

Turned up nice 'n' early. Yeah, it was silly expensive... but it is a bit lush in the flesh.

izwbXyzh9eAwT.jpg

ij4zN4M2LZpAu.jpg

ibwwj8YmyEuDaH.jpg

i4Ha0hXXgXoq4.jpg

iJExMxXT1xqFF.jpg

i7Jwdjlbk77jw.jpg

i6oWKVKOajYTa.jpg

ihEJHHZE9F2o3.jpg

It's presumably an ongoing artwork style that will be a part of Astral Industries' brand or identity.

I thought it was oddly inappropriate too at first, but having seen further images of the complete set I actually think it looks superb.

ipMGRJYCsWTYT.jpg

Statement from the label:

"Hi guys,

Just a few things I want to address here.

Unfortunately the amount a shop wants to mark up our product is totally out of our hands. I am not going to go into details here but I can tell you that the mark-up is significant – I can only apologise as there is absolutely nothing we can do about this. That said, there are a number of ways we have tried to make sure people parting with a bit more money for our product is a bit less painful:

[snip]

2. Rod has included over an hours worth of music on here and there will never, ever be any re-presses or a digital release.

So, basically, "we know it costs a ton, and we wish it didn't, but we'll make sure no one is ever able to get a hold of this (legally) in a more cost efficient way"

Helluva business model, there, chachi. Let's see how this plays out for you.

(and obviously the above is aimed at the label, not jasondonervan)

• 9 months later...

Can't stop listening to Deepchord these days. This one is a nice mix of psychedelic ambient techno. Is it better than Sommer? I wouldn't say so, but I think it's somewhere between Sommer and 20 Electrostatic Soundfields. I don't expect Modell to completely reinvent his sound anyway, so it's only natural that Lanterns doesn't come as a surprise. It feels more like another exploration of the Deepchord universe. Love it.

Can't stop listening to Deepchord these days. This one is a nice mix of psychedelic ambient techno. Is it better than Sommer? I wouldn't say so, but I think it's somewhere between Sommer and 20 Electrostatic Soundfields. I don't expect Modell to completely reinvent his sound anyway, so it's only natural that Lanterns doesn't come as a surprise. It feels more like another exploration of the Deepchord universe. Love it.

Sommer is a masterpiece.

Sommer is a masterpiece.

Indeed, for me too, it's a masterpiece from beginning to end. Perfection. When I first heard Cruising towards dawn, it's like I had always known it. That track speaks to me so clearly. Been listening to Summer all week long. It's the one album by Deepchord I always come back to.

Archived