IGNORED

Renoise 3.0

Guest fiznuthian

Guest fiznuthian

I know there was Renoise 3 beta thread, but since last year Renoise 3.0 went gold in April. I knew nothing about Renoise but recently bought it on a whim because it's cheap. Admittedly i'm still terrible at making things but all in all this is some seriously impressive software.

Here's some jams from the beta. Not too much has changed since I think.. :

[youtubehd]jTkHWzCaJJ4[/youtubehd]

Stuff I like about Renoise:

• Building instruments using it's sampler and a giant pack of 4,300 waveforms I downloaded (adventurekid).. OR you can hand draw your own waveforms with endless variations.. is this thing a sampler or a synth anyway?
  • It has a really modular feel.. I can get a sound going, layer it with others, then go crazy with filters and envelopes and automation and effects chains
  • So far it seems super stable and is perfectly fine with the VSTs i'm throwing at it
  • Still haven't mastered the 'phrase editor' but from what I can tell it's practically a built in arpeggiator.. you can assign drums and create rhythm variations
  • Step sequence all of the things!
  • I think Renoise is actually harder to learn that Ableton. Can't speak for the other DAWs. I'm altogether not very good at this but keep seeing stuff other people made and I know it's possible..

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still haven't installed 3.0 yet, but I fucking love Renoise! I wonder if the new phrase sequencer would play nice with my recently acquired BeatStep.. hmm, something to try today I guess!

I really like all the stuff I hear people make on trackers, it seems like you can get meticulous about detail a bit easier on trackers than the standard grid sequencers (I know they are the same concept, just sayin')

That being said, Renoise gave me a headache, so I quit and went back to the special ed of DAWs- Live 9

Guest mrx

downloaded it awhile back and am almost used to the new interface. Having a lot of fun with the loop control and cdp interface tools.

I really like all the stuff I hear people make on trackers, it seems like you can get meticulous about detail a bit easier on trackers than the standard grid sequencers (I know they are the same concept, just sayin')

That being said, Renoise gave me a headache, so I quit and went back to the special ed of DAWs- Live 9

Doing heavy drum sequencing and breakbeat editing in Renoise has killed my ability to work in any other DAW. I so desperately want to use Reaper after playing around in it for a bit, but it all comes back to sequencing drum patterns which I can't figure out how to do at a reasonable pace. Does anyone know if there's a way to get REALLY in-depth in the piano roll in Reaper? Doing things like shifting drums by milliseconds to create a tighter and more realistic rhythm, for example (and not one of those generally awful "humanize" options).

Guest fiznuthian

can I do ambient in Renoise?

Definitely! There's really nothing it can't do, unless you want to do multi-track recording.

Doing heavy drum sequencing and breakbeat editing in Renoise has killed my ability to work in any other DAW. I so desperately want to use Reaper after playing around in it for a bit, but it all comes back to sequencing drum patterns which I can't figure out how to do at a reasonable pace. Does anyone know if there's a way to get REALLY in-depth in the piano roll in Reaper? Doing things like shifting drums by milliseconds to create a tighter and more realistic rhythm, for example (and not one of those generally awful "humanize" options).

I hated the piano roll in Reaper. People say its a good program, but the thing is a fucking mess in terms of UI. Try ReWire and doing your drums ReWired from renoise (slave) to Reaper?

this might be worth the wait; I know I'm excited:

Oh, wait - one more thing … soon, we will introduce a new member of the Renoise family: a standalone plugin called Redux. For the first time - without resorting to tricks like Rewire - the sample-mangling capabilities of Renoise will be available to any DAW. And any instrument created in Renoise will be fully compatible with Redux, and vice versa.

first ~5 minutes of this I made in Renoise;

It is possible, though with long samples that span a bunch of patterns you'll have to rely more on yer ears instead of eyes, not sure if that is a bad thing though :-)

Just spent a good 30min playing around with assigning phrases to pads on the BeatStep, and it seems I could essentially play an entire liveset from one Renoise file if I set it up correctly.. which I plan to do for a gig I've got coming up in six weeks. Awesome!

It is possible, though with long samples that span a bunch of patterns you'll have to rely more on yer ears instead of eyes, not sure if that is a bad thing though :-)

this is gooodt!

Guest lambda

Inspiring. I only just started with Renoise. Got any tips?

Inspiring. I only just started with Renoise. Got any tips?

indeed! really nice!

I really want to change my workflow. I'm getting a laptop, O I think it's time for it. But, yeah, any tips? Is it thaaaat much different using Renoise than using, let's say FL Studio, Live, Cubase, etc.? non tracker DAWs.

Yep it's pretty different - wouldn't say better of worse just different. I'm coming from the other direction, been using trackers since ~'92 and of the last couple of years have moved to Ableton - things that took such a quick time to do (e.g. complex drum patterns, precise automation) in Trackers seem to take a bit of getting used to in a 'traditional' DAW, but programming melodies (especially inputting live) seem much easier.

With trackers there's a bit of a brick wall learning curve, but as soon as you've leapt that wall then your imagination is really the only sticking point. Best way to learn is to find as many tracks as you can find in the programme you're going to programme with and just see how the numbers and things fit together.

get good with what you're already familiar with

This is absolutely true - though sometimes a change in workflow can get you out of a creative rut

Guest lambda

It's all a matter of expedience for me - at home I like to use a keyboard workstation with onboard sequencer. But at work, or on the train, trackers seem like the way to go.

• 10 months later...

Archived