IGNORED

Skateboarding

gmanyo

i skated from age 11 til 20, took a break and started back in my mid 20's for a few years until i shattered the ball of my heel after numerous other ankle ligament injuries and said fuck that... pushing 40 and i've still got a board.

I like skating but I suck at it.

Someone stole my Natas Kaupas blacklisted board about a year ago :(

I've been riding my son's green penny board lately, but its too small for me. I think I'm going to get myself a bigger one in the future. just for cruising.

I still skate, and I'm turning 40 this summer. I came up skating around 1986. I loved the culture but sucked at skating. I'd fall hard trying to skate ditches, couldn't skate a ramp to save my life, and couldn't even ollie. Bad coordination and no balance unfortunately.

But around 1991 I found a G&S wood/fiberglass mini cruiser board from the '70s at a thrift store. It didn't even have a tail and had big soft Road Rider wheels. I loved bombing hills and carving with it, more in the tradition of sidewalk surfing. Tricks never appealed to me, but I loved the acceleration. I used that board to get around town until I tragically lost it. I found a similar one a couple years later, which I still ride 20 years later.

Nowadays when the weather gets good I usually cruise around the neighborhood or just up and down my driveway, sometimes setting up cones for slalom. I fell hard a couple days ago, and my knee, hip, ribs, elbow, hands and shoulder got pretty messed up. I'm sore and bruised, but I still went out again today though.

My son just turned 9 and rides now. i got him a '70s style board since he was always riding mine. I might have to wear head-to-toe protective gear or something to keep up with him as we get older. I don't have any plans to stop though.

respect.

• 6 years later...

Just caved into my midlife crisis and bought this little fellow for excursions around the local countryside.

First time since 1990 I stood on a skateboard. Took only  fifty meters for it to stop feeling uncomfortable, Just spent an hour getting familiar with it on a nearby sports court. Felt fantastic.

Wife made me buy a helmet, knee guards and elbow guards. Pretty sure I’ll be ditching them soon.

F942B2B5-E69D-4FDD-84F4-344F90E88D1B.jpeg

6 years has passed... My son still scoots and has become well known in the community. Places in competitions and is one step below pro. Covid-19 has stopped competitions but he still goes to parks and has been getting better. He skateboards for fun but can't seem to keep from breaking boards since he loves doing stair sets and rails.

Love it when we roll up to a skatepark, some skater boy with basic skills talks shit, my son walks up to him... takes his board does a couple of tre flips and rails, and gives him back his board without saying a word.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2014 at 11:14 AM, Braintree said:

I like skating but I suck at it.

Someone stole my Natas Kaupas blacklisted board about a year ago ?

I still think about this board often :(:(

Some friends have started going to the skate park again, and once I don't mind embarrassing the fuck out of myself, I'll join them.

6 hours ago, Braintree said:

Some friends have started going to the skate park again, and once I don't mind embarrassing the fuck out of myself, I'll join them.

One of the benefits of middle age is that you stop caring about that sort of thing.

So I went out in full protective gear (pussy) for a longboard trip In the countryside. It was awesome.

• Like 1

Fucking typical for people around Delores park wearing no masks :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, whosebrian said:

Sometimes skaters bomb this one too.

I rode a skateboard down on my ass but couldn't do it standing up.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, whosebrian said:

Best Blondey Mccoy GIFs | Gfycat

Just had a similar experience skating in a parking lot. Other than some scrapes I'm good.

:catsuicide:

I saw a kid get hit by an SUV a few weeks ago. He was alright, but the driver was trying to get around him to keep driving on and one of his buddies smashed the back window in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cloud capture said:

caught Pedro's part yesterday, that ender is pretty insane.  Wish I could still skate my maple deck.

I just picked up skating again. I still have quite a few tricks they just feel rustier. I’ve been watching a lot of those Nine Club podcasts amazed at all the memories they bring back.