IGNORED

Plaid - Reachy Prints

Guest Individ

Give it time Plaided: those Japanese contracts can be stifling, so they're probably not allowed to for a few years. Look at Tekkonkinkreet + Heaven's Door, now available on Bleep!

At least we'll be getting the Urbance OST as soon as the film's released! :D

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Classic album.

I purposely deleted it off my Sony mp3 player at the end of Autumn so it would be fresh as a daisy for this year late Spring and early Summer. I can just taste those fresh, zesty drops of Plaid goodness tickling my earbuds in the next few weeks.

Can't wait tbh

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the Plaid party here, but I've been listening to this on repeat for the last month. I was never that keen on them before but this is a consistently brilliant album and I love it.

Guest Chesney

^^^ Great news.

I have been listening again this week. It is a beauty. Wallet has snuck into top spot for me.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I completely ran it into the ground for 6 months when it was first released. It is such a nice day out today I think its time for a long overdue spin!

• 2 years later...
On 5/29/2014 at 1:31 PM, modey said:

The bassline in the second half of Nafovanny sounds super familiar. I'm sure I've heard it in another song. Anyone share the same thought?

Years late but honestly I hear Closer by Nine Inch Nails in the beat once it kicks up

• 3 months later...

I keep coming back to Wallet a lot. I think it's one of my favorite Plaid tracks ever right now. That fucking 8bit synth in the background sounds like fucking 80's post-apocalyptic vibes, kinda like something in Tomorrow's Harvest from Boards of Canada. I want to see Plaid use that type of synth again. An the beat is so fucking cool. I also love how the last notes of the tracks sound like a Black Dog-era sound.

As much as I want Plaid to do something that's more filled with textures and stuff like the amazing Spokes or the albums before that one, this is one of their albums that fucking NAILS the minimalist touches they've been going for since Scintilli. Digging Remedy is a bit of a step down, while good, but I feel the tracks are a bit shorter to really grow and it feels less cohesive as an album. Polymer I love more than Reachy Prints but Polymer I don't replay as much.

Polymer did work with a more cohesive, darker project that had songs that suited their lengths more and is a step up from Digging Remedy. I also appreciate that album was longer, but I would kill for another cohesive projects like this that feels like it fits altogether. Liverpool St is fucking bliss but I'm sad it's way too short.

Hell yeah. Plaid really are the black sheep of IDM. Not a lot of people who care to discover their music, makes me sad too. Sure, they're not as experimental as the other big name IDM artists, but they have such a unique sound of their own and have a nice taste in melody and continue to craft their sound a little bit. Seeing people on Twitter legit saying "Who" or people calling albums like this on RYM boring sucks to hear as a big fan.

sorry to bump this again but now this is my 4th favorite Plaid album ever. Spokes, Rest Proof Clockwork and Polymer are other 3. The score for this album on Rateyourmusic really depresses me. Deserves to be rated more than 339 ratings and deserves a 3.50 score at least god damn... way superior over jon Hopkins's immunity, which is one of the highest rated IDM albums on this site. Made a review on this album but I can't describe music for the life of me and I should probably learn music production to be able to explain it.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/plaid/reachy-prints-1/

I'm often revisiting Tekkon and Heaven's Door recently. They're both proper and awesome albums and have all what's Plaid about. Mystery and Magic in my opinion.

Of the later albums, Scintilli is the one I listen to the least. Unbank, my thoughts were like "Erm really, you doing Scooter, Hyper Hyper stuff?" - I only listen to "at last" sometimes.

19 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

I'm often revisiting Tekkon and Heaven's Door recently. They're both proper and awesome albums and have all what's Plaid about. Mystery and Magic in my opinion.

Of the later albums, Scintilli is the one I listen to the least. Unbank, my thoughts were like "Erm really, you doing Scooter, Hyper Hyper stuff?" - I only listen to "at last" sometimes.

Those film soundtrack albums are amazing! I need to relisten to Tekkon and I'm sad it's not on digital yet. Greedy Baby is a grower album for me right now. That one has a lot of interesting songs, E.M.R. and Super Positions for example. The audiovisual videos from Bob Jaroc I love also, fits really great with the tunes. Makes me wish Plaid did another project like that since it's very experimental of them and has a lot of complex touches to the sound.

I like the site rateyourmusic a lot, but yeah it's a bit down on Plaid.

What I find is surprising is the average listener per month figure on Spotify (I think this is quite a honest reflection on the popularity of a band) Plaid is very high indeed at 190,000. That's a lot higher than I would think. Autechre for example has recently been rising steadily for a few years from 85,00 to now 120,000. Squarepusher had a massive jump from what was a steady 130,000 to 265,000 overnight when Be Up A Hello was released. Aphex also has been rising to a massive 1,800,000. Boards of Canada take the second spot at roughly 800,000.

I think Plaid come a little undone as unlike Aphex, BOC, Squarepusher and AE, they have never curated an image that makes them a little more interesting. Aphex and BOC being the masters of creating the IDM Edgelord Image through video, myth and fiction/non-fiction stories. So Plaid, without all the voodoo to back it up kind of get forgotten about. But as their Spotify figures reveal, have a large and dedicated fanbase ?

5 hours ago, beer badger said:

I like the site rateyourmusic a lot, but yeah it's a bit down on Plaid.

What I find is surprising is the average listener per month figure on Spotify (I think this is quite a honest reflection on the popularity of a band) Plaid is very high indeed at 190,000. That's a lot higher than I would think. Autechre for example has recently been rising steadily for a few years from 85,00 to now 120,000. Squarepusher had a massive jump from what was a steady 130,000 to 265,000 overnight when Be Up A Hello was released. Aphex also has been rising to a massive 1,800,000. Boards of Canada take the second spot at roughly 800,000.

I think Plaid come a little undone as unlike Aphex, BOC, Squarepusher and AE, they have never curated an image that makes them a little more interesting. Aphex and BOC being the masters of creating the IDM Edgelord Image through video, myth and fiction/non-fiction stories. So Plaid, without all the voodoo to back it up kind of get forgotten about. But as their Spotify figures reveal, have a large and dedicated fanbase ?

I know right? I've noticed that with Plaid too... I swear back when Polymer first came out they had about 290,000 listeners. If only those listeners were on RYM haha. I also noticed most of the plays seem to go to their top listened tracks such as Do Matter, Ralome, CLOCK, etc, which are great tracks, but I would love to see the numbers rise on the other tracks.

Archived