IGNORED

Google Threatening to Delist Artist Videos Unless They Agree to Streaming Contract Terms

Joyrex

From The Guardian via Slashdot:

According to a press release issued by WIN, a group representing independent musicians, Google is threatening to de-list musicians' videos from YouTube if they do not agree to the terms for its unannounced streaming music service. The template contracts issued to musicians are described as 'undervalued' relative to other streaming services, and are not open for negotiation. The press release was issued by WIN but rescinded when Google agreed to further discussions; The Associated Free Press and The Guardian have published stories based on that original release.

Do no evil, eh? Sounds pretty evil to me.

I really don't see Dailymotion stepping up to the plate and taking this opportunity to beat Google at their own game. Hopefully, someone else with the innovation and resources will see the potential goldmine here and create a service that is artist-driven (in terms of fair compensation) AND makes shitloads of money for the curators.

I really don't see Dailymotion stepping up to the plate and taking this opportunity to beat Google at their own game. Hopefully, someone else with the innovation and resources will see the potential goldmine here and create a service that is artist-driven (in terms of fair compensation) AND makes shitloads of money for the curators.

like Apple? lol im sure theyre already on it like yesterday, and planning a deal that's only a smidgeon better for artists yet still rips them off, but will most likely saaaave the day, and will be heralded as the brand that saved music again ha.

yay apple, we're so grateful for their amazingness crumbs.

To be fair though, most of the music on youtube received no compensation for the artist. Well the stuff we would all listen to anyway. The place really served as a free promotional tool, for quick access to demo music. Most of us would use ad blocking so there would be no revenue anyway, even for some nebulous new streaming service.

/reads article because there's something he's probably missing as usual

So does this mean that you won't be able to listen to any music on youtube anymore without paying $5 a month!! lol, the russian music streaming services are going to love this. People will just stop using youtube for anything beyond cat videos and TED talks (cause they'll probably start a streaming service that you'll have to pay for for everything else that's on there, like old seasons of the fast show etc.).

As long as there's no music playing in the background I guess, yes.

Archived