IGNORED

Brain Damage

Guest fiznuthian

Also nothing wrong with exercising a lot as long as you're not injuring yourself.

with exercising a lot you are injuring yourself and especially in this state it's not good for him, especially for his brain and mind

Exercising a lot properly should cause no injury. Exercise releases plenty of happy chemicals in the brain, and the psychological benefits of exercise have been pretty extensively documented.

....releases plenty of happy chemical? yes, and brain habituates to a certain level of those very soon and person can get addicted to those levels too.

another thing that happens is a production of oxidants that can injure his brain now more than ever.

third, during periods of depression and anxiety a lot of energy is required for subconscious mechanisms to work their own in adaptive modifications of ego structures/strengths so over exhaustions would not help here either.

4th, did i said that exercise is something to avoid? no! psychological benefits of exercise is something that i'm aware of and that's way i said him to exercise moderately so he could have benefits of it but at the same time avoiding the possible noxiousness

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the definition of lots of exercise needs to be clarified?

I'm not talking about running two marathons a week. More like an hour of cycling a day, or something equivalent to that.

15-30 minutes for someone like fiz (who has exercised regularly for a while) is not moderate exercise, it's more like a warm-up

I'm on my phone, so not gonna bring up links to the non-addictiveness of body endorphins, but from what I've read, it's only a problem if the individual pursues exercise in a destructive manner.

And, as you might recall, I said exercise as long as you're not causing injury.

Regardless:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/depression-and-exercise/art-20046495

Guest fiznuthian

Ah, darn.. haha

Yeah it's nothing extreme by anyone's measures.. "A lot", meaning a 20-30 mile bike ride maybe 1-2 times a week, I run around the yard a bit with my dog, do some pullups on the tree whenever I feel like it, pushups occasionally, and lots of dog walking and sprinting around infrequently.. I'm completely unregimented, but very fit regardless. In my mind, nutrition is much more important.

It's all good though! No depression.. i'm a happy son of a bitch. Seriously, I think the mention here that health anxiety was doing my head in was spot on.. jumped in that rabbit hole for a while..

endorphins them self don't cause an opiate type of addiction but can lead to exercise addiction. it's more of a psychological addiction not a physical one.

second, one can do a lot in 15-30 min and other not so much in 2 hrs of exercise. that's way i said 15-30 of moderate exercise daily; a middle road approach. he can walk 2 hrs, speed walking 30 min or do a kettlebell exercise for a 3-5 min.

but i guess we do understand each other now

Ah, darn.. haha

Yeah it's nothing extreme by anyone's measures.. "A lot", meaning a 20-30 mile bike ride maybe 1-2 times a week, I run around the yard a bit with my dog, do some pullups on the tree whenever I feel like it, pushups occasionally, and lots of dog walking and sprinting around infrequently.. I'm completely unregimented, but very fit regardless. In my mind, nutrition is much more important.

It's all good though! No depression.. i'm a happy son of a bitch. Seriously, I think the mention here that health anxiety was doing my head in was spot on.. jumped in that rabbit hole for a while..

heh... that's much better, i mean that's an appropriate level of exercise i'd say

glad to hear you're feeling better ;)

btw, is that vladimir kush's art as your avatar?

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah people definitely get addicted to exercise, especially if they have irritating thoughts on their mind. Great way to numb it out I guess.

I quit smoking cigarettes years ago by running until cravings went away.. at the time ended up clearing anywhere from 5 to 10 or more miles a day.. which as you suggest would probably accumulate a tremendous amount of oxidative damage to tissues. Rest is so important...

couple of thoughts that I'm not sure have been mentioned yet -

1) I remember from your past posts that you like experimenting with your diet - eating a bunch of fungus, or obsessing about carbs, etc. Perhaps you introduced something to your diet in excess, that is leading to these symptoms? Such as any herbal remedies, supplements, etc etc? I would do a complete inventory of what you put in your body and see if you added anything new recently. If so, start removing things one by one and see if you improve.

2) chocolate. I went through a period where I developed muscle twitching from eating too much of a particular brand of chocolate. It did some weird shit to my internal wiring, no idea why. I cut out the chocolate and went back to normal quickly.

3) stress. I was convinced I had MS for a while, I had tremors in my hands and pins and needles in my feet, one of my legs even went limp! It was all due to stress, my job was extremely stressful at the time. So check to see if you have any new stressors in your life - bosses being dicks, a break up, death of a relative, etc

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah, I still research the polysaccharides in a bunch of mushroom species, but don't eat them regularly anymore. When this stuff started happening I was eating a lot more fruit than usual.. I'm very much a non-supplement and non-herbal remedy kinda guy.. Most i'd take is D3, K2, magnesium caps, zinc picolinate, or mushroom extracts but i'm lazy about it and it's been a very long time since i've taken anything. Chocolate is possible maybe, but i'm still eating low-carb, of which a significant source of energy is 90% Lindt bars.

But you're probably dead on about stress.. unemployed, friendless, no girlfriend, living at home, etc.. The fuck man. Haha

Ah, darn.. haha

heh... that's much better, i mean that's an appropriate level of exercise i'd say

glad to hear you're feeling better ;)

btw, is that vladimir kush's art as your avatar?

So close!

Vladimir is a lot like Jacek Yerka, who is the artist in my avatar. :)

http://www.yerkaland.com/

Also nothing wrong with exercising a lot as long as you're not injuring yourself.

with exercising a lot you are injuring yourself and especially in this state it's not good for him, especially for his brain and mind

Exercising a lot properly should cause no injury. Exercise releases plenty of happy chemicals in the brain, and the psychological benefits of exercise have been pretty extensively documented.

....releases plenty of happy chemical? yes, and brain habituates to a certain level of those very soon and person can get addicted to those levels too.

another thing that happens is a production of oxidants that can injure his brain now more than ever.

third, during periods of depression and anxiety a lot of energy is required for subconscious mechanisms to work their own in adaptive modifications of ego structures/strengths so over exhaustions would not help here either.

4th, did i said that exercise is something to avoid? no! psychological benefits of exercise is something that i'm aware of and that's way i said him to exercise moderately so he could have benefits of it but at the same time avoiding the possible noxiousness

exercise actually causes neurogenesis so if anything you would want to exercise if you are afraid of neurodegeneration.

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah, some scans through pubmed seemed to suggest that as well, exercise being a potent stimulator of neurogenesis, but isolated to certain regions..

exercise actually causes neurogenesis so if anything you would want to exercise if you are afraid of neurodegeneration.

i don't thing he has one. as i said it already, exercise is good but always moderate. why moderate? ah...

btw, medicine is not that simple. you can't isolate one feature or agent with an expectation to solve a multi-causal problem

also, pubmed articles are hard to read if you're not into medicine. one can easily come to wrong conclusions; not about subject in one or two article but to understand something complex like why more exercising = neuroplasticity is not entirely true you need to read and understand a lot more while integrating that knowledge with experience. that's why we still need medical doctors. otherwise internet would be all we need.

Guest fiznuthian

I don't know.. I tend to disagree.
I can't speak for anything else, and i'm not banking on neurogenesis (it's just something i looked into out of curiosity), but when it comes to nutrition there is so much bullshit out there you might actually be better off reading lots of scientific literature anyway. It takes a lot of digging, learning terminology, and generally just trying to piece of all together.

There's so much "journalism" out there that takes a chunk of a study and twists it into a clever headline/article.. why bother with that crap? Medical doctors often aren't very informed about nutrition either, and yet it's probably my best bet for ensuring I will not have to go on statins, metformin, or whatever at the ripe old age of 50. Cholesterol is linked with CVD! Saturated fat causes atherosclerosis! Sugar causes diabetes! Hearty whole grains are good for your heart! It's because of my obsession with research that I now know these things are not necessarily true and that the metabolism of nutrient is more complex than any dietician would let on about..

Don't get me wrong. I'm still very much a layman looking in and have no background in any of this.. but i'm not stupid either and can at least try to understand methodology, data, results, and dig my way through a seemingly endless stream of research with conflicting evidence.

I don't know.. I tend to disagree.

I can't speak for anything else, and i'm not banking on neurogenesis (it's just something i looked into out of curiosity), but when it comes to nutrition there is so much bullshit out there you might actually be better off reading lots of scientific literature anyway. It takes a lot of digging, learning terminology, and generally just trying to piece of all together.

There's so much "journalism" out there that takes a chunk of a study and twists it into a clever headline/article.. why bother with that crap? Medical doctors often aren't very informed about nutrition either, and yet it's probably my best bet for ensuring I will not have to go on statins, metformin, or whatever at the ripe old age of 50. Cholesterol is linked with CVD! Saturated fat causes atherosclerosis! Sugar causes diabetes! Hearty whole grains are good for your heart! It's because of my obsession with research that I now know these things are not necessarily true and that the metabolism of nutrient is more complex than any dietician would let on about..

Don't get me wrong. I'm still very much a layman looking in and have no background in any of this.. but i'm not stupid either and can at least try to understand methodology, data, results, and dig my way through a seemingly endless stream of research with conflicting evidence.

shot answer: i agree regarding nutrition

long answer:

the net is full of shit also and that's why we need ppl who are competent to tell us the real story regarding complex matters. even if it's true sometimes it's just too complicated for a layman sometimes and believe me, medicine can be very complex, even depression with all those complex paths in brain, different receptors, and weird unusual symptoms + uniqueness of the patient can be very complex to cure sometimes.

but i agree regarding nutrition, you don't need doctor for that if you know how to use internet but you are talking here about 'basic medical algebra', light medical topics, not discrete math. you can do it on your own, i'm sure. but you did smart move coming here asking for help and advice from us, and you talked to doctor regarding this and still your problem is not that complicated (at least not at a first sight. we can deepen it very easily, what i'm trying to avoid but questioning my advices push me in that direction). now imagine having schizophrenia, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or osteomyelitis. then reading even pubmed articles wouldn't help much.

also, sometimes a person can't solve his problem on it own even if he has a simple problem and iq of 160. it's normal to seek help even for light things. we are social beings, in good and bad and we sucks in solving our own problems the most.

we are more informed today about healthy life (nutrition, avoiding drugs, more sleep, exercise, less stress...) and that's really good. just we need to follow the advices more.

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah I agree xox. The internet is full of shit. You can type in anything health related into google and get thousands of search results that are shit like "natural news" and "livestrong" and even quasi-medical stuff like "medicinenet", etc.. Even the supposed "medical sources" are pretty conventional in their wisdom, and just about all of the aforementioned sites never seem to have references anywhere. The webMD symptom checker blew my fucking mind.. I select "feeling off balance", "tremor", and "pressure in head" and the first things it lists are cancer, multiple-sclerosis, parkinson's, etc. :biggrin:

Probably where I went wrong.. I ignore 100% of that crap for my ideas about nutrition, yet chondriac-like spent days on google searching for answers about feeling shaky. That's one hell of a slippery slope..

I have this rich, text based interaction with people ... and WATMM is included but it's ultimately an ersatz life. It's like eating food that pleases the mouth but leaves the stomach growling.

truth. or like drinking seawater.

Guest fiznuthian

There's numerous fungal mycotoxins that have been discovered on both vegetables and fruits.. Pick your poison, or I mean.. your mycotoxin? :)

That unemployment/friend/girl situation is some serious shit--probably some of the most relevant information you could have given and it was tucked in as an afterthought!

Isolation is almost as bad for you as meth in my opinion and the research is bearing this idea out.

This. People have been handling shit in their lives for tens of thousands of years. Do we really think the secret has just been found in some new fad diet? Take care of that which is closest to your being: your relationship with God/the universe, your relationship with other people, your relationship with your ideal self and your relationship with your environment and you may not be perfectly happy every day, but you'll be happy enough and on your way to greater things (and maybe xxx can join you).

Not to say that diet, brain chemical imbalance, etc aren't important factors -- hell, some people really can not handle gluten or need an snri to stay balanced (hello, self on the latter) -- but be careful not to externalize your problems, as external problems are ultimately unsolvable, where as fundamental self-to-existence problems generally are.

You're on the right track, dude. You can do this.

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah it's all good. I just went out a limb to revive an old best-friendship.. an English lady online has been keeping me company as well. And I joined my local Unitarian Universalist church which has been nice.. they're a lovey dovey bunch. Things are looking up. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest fiznuthian

well i'm fucked guys

basically what used to be mostly nerve pain in my arms turned into a much bigger problem.

• flares of widespread nerve pain, tingling, numbness, burning, pins and needles, and crawling all over my body from head to toe
  • left arm is growing more numb by the day and often gets really bad
  • right arm is following the same trajectory slowly getting worse
  • left leg is going numb, fluttering, pins and needles, and both legs experience nerve pain that comes and goes and changes location
  • my entire body shakes and tremors 24/7
  • in a lot of positions most muscles on my body will involuntarily move on their own, especially in hands and feet
  • my eyes are twitching all of the time and i can't ever sit still (think parkinsons.. it's like that).. makes it fucking hard to sleep because it wakes me up every 5 seconds
  • about 4 days ago i went through 3 days where what was nerve pain in arms and legs spread to my entire back and neck, especially lower back.. ended up going to the ER and was given 4 percosets.. i ate a bunch and to my surprise it did absolutely nothing to alleviate any of the pain. i was high as a kite but the pain was still 100%
  • i posted before that i feel "pumping" sensations in my muscles, and they still do it. i experience spasms in my muscles a lot too as they convulse on their own, especially my calves and bicep/triceps

i finally found a doctor who is extremely alarmed by all of this and unlike before my shakiness/tremors/involuntaries are MUCH more visible. he's highly alarmed and has decided i need aggressive diagnosis. i go back to my neurologist for nerve conduction study soon. he prescibed a large batch of xanax that i can take daily for anxiety, but i personally am just sparing it for bad days to avoid dependency. i guess it's safe to say this was not anxiety induced problems because even on good days and heavily sedated 100% of the symptoms are still present.

my gut feeling is some kind of degenerative/neurological disorder or disease.. i'm not prepared for this. :sad:

i'm not suicidal right now by any means (actually in good spirit lately thanks to social support) but perhaps the biggest comfort is the realization that nitrogen/helium tanks are legal and if this turns into endless suffering i can make it stop comfortably on my own terms.

Guest fiznuthian

thanks xxx, and also sorry about the euthanasia comments.. autoimmune would be nice i guess, possibly easier to deal with than the list of degenerative diseases anyway.

some 6-8 weeks ago an urgent care doctor sent blood for an ANA test and it came back fine. agreed about the narcotics. thankfully i now know opiates are useless so why bother with them. xanax is both beautifully helpful and really fucking scary. i'm sitting on a bottle of them and plan to only take it if i'm completely freaking out. jesus christ fuck benzo withdrawals.. my doc gave the okay for .5 mg in morning and evening but while nice of him that is just not okay with me on a daily basis. as needed and hording my stash is the plan.

benzos toy with sleep scheduling apparently too. any recommendations for a decent sleep med? diphenhydramine is weird sometimes and cannabis is risky because of my xanax script. they regulate it like they're handing you live grenades and if THC is in my urine my doc can't save me from the government shit-storm.

summary of the last 3 months:

b12 deficiency: normal

folate: normal

thyroid: normal

two ELISA lyme tests: both negative

l-spine and c-spine w/ flex xrays: normal

brain CT w/o contrast: normal but noted cortical shrinkage (supposedly nothing anyway)

ANAs: normal

every sed rate test: normal

creatine kinase: normal

hospital blood and urine panel: every parameter was well within reference ranges

Fiznuthian, my friend, try to stay calm.

Contrary to xxx's advice, I was going to say that the xanax will help with tremors and spasms and seizures (In fact, when you said your doctor had prescribed you xanax I assumed it was for that stuff and not anxiety). And short term use of .5mg of xanax is not likely to cause you much trouble, if any. If it alleviates your symptoms then I'd say the benefits far outweigh the potential harm.

Fiz, let me ask you this: in general, over the course of your life, are you prone to worrying about health issues?

I can't tell you how many times I have gone to the doctor 100% convinced that I was dying. I used to go every 6 months, usually thinking it's cancer. If you think there is something wrong with you...well I used to worry that my liver was failing...and so I would focus so intensely on the sensations near my liver. And it would hurt and feel weird. But then I'd go to the doctor and get everything looked at and my doctor's like "you're fine, as usual." One time I was convinced that I had leukemia, and so it would literally hurt when my cat brushed up against my leg (that was the worse pain I've ever felt, in fact). But I was just focusing so intensely on my body sensations that normal things would be amplified to the point where it was painful.

Also, anxiety and depression literally physical hurt.

Anyway, just some thoughts mate. Hope everything is alright.

Guest fiznuthian

I wish it were anxiety.. Today I'm feeling worse. My throat has been feeling coarse and it's feeling more difficult to talk. I'm having a hard time controlling my arms and face. Widespread loss of feeling in many areas of my body.

Archived