IGNORED

Earth - Primitive and Deadly

usagi

new album's coming, as per this interview with Dylan. I'm already excited at seeing them next month (possible pre-release CDs available at shows!).

... we just finished the new record, just approved the CD master and now waiting for the vinyl. We were hoping to get it out in time for the tour, but the release date will be September 2nd. I’m hoping we’ll have some CDs at the shows, at least. We’ve got the reissued vinyl for Hex; [Or Printing in the Infernal Method] and The Bees [Made Honey in the Lion’s Skull] and then we’ll be playing most of the new album on the tour. One of the songs on the new album we actually wrote in Perth.

What can we expect from the new album? You’ve said it’s going to be heavier.

It’s called Primitive and Deadly, and yeah it’s more of a return to the hard rock/heavy metal roots of the band. There’s three tracks with vocals, two of which have Mark Lanegan singing and one with Rabia Qazi from Rose Windows. I guess it’s harking back to the Pentastar [in the Style of Demons] era.

I was very fond of what they were doing with Hex through to Angels but I'm looking forward to hear what they will sound like returning to Pentastar-era rocking. hope it doesn't sound like dated 90s rock though.

awwwwwwesome

probably one of my most treasured bands that I've discovered (thanks to these forums) in recent years

they truly are a gift that keeps on giving

any word on (Irish) tour dates?

• 3 weeks later...

I was worried that they were get really 90's in their sound (I've never been interested in their music from back then), but this is very much in line with the past few albums. Each album(s) have featured some extra component that rotates: piano, cello, now vocals perhaps? I'm of course assuming that there'll be vocals featured on most or all of this album.

The vocalist is good, but she doesn't hang back quite as much as I'd expect or hope for. But it works, looking forward to this album!

Guest Araungzeb

I was really lucky to see them in Poland last September, all of the new tracks we fantastic. I especially can't wait to hear the studio version of Badger:

• 1 month later...

I was really lucky to see them in Poland last September, all of the new tracks we fantastic. I especially can't wait to hear the studio version of Badger:

Same here, saw them last night in Utrecht and it was amazing and LOUD. He played four new tracks, all of them incredible. Earth has ended doom metal with the last track they played (the first track on the new album), the genre is finished now. Amazing.

The new album was already for sale luckily so I'm putting it on the decks now! :)

Ok, so this new album is pretty much incredible! 3 tracks out of 5 (out of 6 if you count the vinyl-only track) have vocals, but it completely fits the vibe and nowhere are the vocalists overdoing it. Still a lot of elements left from the style of the previous albums, but it's evolving again, definitely getting heavier. Sometimes I hear Pentastar stuff, sometimes Bees stuff. "Even Hell Has Its Heroes" is my favourite track on the album, the last two chords of that main riff floored me when I heard it live, this version is just as great. The first track was amazing live, but the studio version was a tad dissapointing (not as heavy).

8/10 on the first listen.

Make sure you get the vinyl for a great bonus track.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this new album is pretty much incredible! 3 tracks out of 5 (out of 6 if you count the vinyl-only track) have vocals, but it completely fits the vibe and nowhere are the vocalists overdoing it. Still a lot of elements left from the style of the previous albums, but it's evolving again, definitely getting heavier. Sometimes I hear Pentastar stuff, sometimes Bees stuff. "Even Hell Has Its Heroes" is my favourite track on the album, the last two chords of that main riff floored me when I heard it live, this version is just as great. The first track was amazing live, but the studio version was a tad dissapointing (not as heavy).

8/10 on the first listen.

Make sure you get the vinyl for a great bonus track.

wait what? is it out? has it leaked?

I don't really like the sound of these :S

wait what? is it out? has it leaked?

Same here, saw them last night in Utrecht and it was amazing and LOUD. He played four new tracks, all of them incredible. Earth has ended doom metal with the last track they played (the first track on the new album), the genre is finished now. Amazing.

The new album was already for sale luckily so I'm putting it on the decks now! :)

So that first track really is a world of difference compared to experiencing it live. I still go with the 8/10, although I would rate the gig higher than the album itself.

Archived