IGNORED

Halt and Catch Fire

MisterE

anyone see this? i've always thought this era of computer tech was really interesting. sometimes i look at articles or interviews about this period and usually i've always been more interested to read about stuff like lesser known figures or events rather than gates/jobs/etc, and that seems to be the kind of thing this show focuses on.

anyway, the first episode to me seemed like it really could've been just about any of the other big time drama type shows that A&E have popularized. the nerdy computer side took a backseat to cut-throat office maneuvers, and it was really just all about establishing the cliched characters- alpha, broody beta, and wizkid. and of course setting up the drama. BUT i think it's kind of cool that someone is making a show like this, and i've always thought there were a lot of great stories from this era, and wondered if they could be tapped for anything besides a nice docu on youtube, and get any success. obviously and unfortunately the nerdier stuff will be left out, leaving mostly just teh drama fo yo mama.

a few cringey cliches aside it seemed OK. i might check out the next one at least.

i give the first episode 6.5 silicons out of 10

Watched bits & pieces last night inbetween hockey game. Seemed ok. For a show set in the 80's I found it odd they closed with Cirrus by Bonobo in the final scene. I was bobbin my head drunkenly in any case.

Saw the previews for this and thought it was yet another retelling of the Jobs and Wozniak story. Is that not the case?

Pirates of Silicon Valley was pretty good.

From what I got, No jobs or wozniak. Some guys work for a small time computer company, 1 of them used to work for IBM, he convinces some nerdy tech guy to reverse engineer coding in an IBM computer unbeknown to their employer. IBM is called by 1 of the dudes saying what they did & puts both companies at odds. Queue Bonobo. Again, I missed most of the beginning due to Hockey. Seemed pretty formulaic characters & plotting.

Archived