IGNORED

Can we talk about Amber?

Lost in Amber

Fantastic album, still in my autechre top 3 fo sho. Must admit my buttocks did chafe a bit when they were all dismissive of this earlier period of theirs in an interview (around overteps, maybe? can't remember) - something about it being too simplistic or whatevs

Fantastic album, still in my autechre top 3 fo sho. Must admit my buttocks did chafe a bit when they were all dismissive of this earlier period of theirs in an interview (around overteps, maybe? can't remember) - something about it being too simplistic or whatevs

i know what youa re talking about I remember reading somewhere that they mention that Incunubula and Amber were too predictable and generic or something like that. I dont know what they are talking about.

Guest Gravity

If I'm remembering it right, someone asked them about that in the AAA and they just said they called it simpler or something to that effect, not as an insult but just what it was.

Guest Gravity

Nil

That part where it gets really quiet and the deep bass comes back in followed by strings... mmmm.

Early Autechre stuff is great, but it only really comes properly ALIVE later on!

I find there's a kind of Frankenstein logic to Autechre's catalogue, in that the earilier albums (generally up to Tri Repetae, but probably including CichliSuite, Envane & LP5) are Sean & Rob pottering about their lab a bit at their own pace, easy going early days and all that, creating this monster (Franken'techre).

Then you have their later stuff (esp. Chiastic Slide, Confield, Draft 7.30, Untilted, Quaristice, Exai, L-Event) which sound more like this created monster has gotten a life of its own and is lashing and flailing, constantly trying to break free of its creators constraints.

Though we get to catch glimpses of wailing insanity and the inner gnarliness on St Epreo, Oversteps sees Franken'techre generally heavily sedated, drooling, hallucinating happily about twinkling ice planets and serene stars.

Early Autechre = Rob & Sean creating the beast

Later Autechre = Rob & Sean (attempting to) constrain the beast

i feel like its a shame that some of the big huge 'fat' analog sounds you hear on this album seem to have been totally abandoned by ae, maybe with some rare exceptions. instead most of their sounds are cold, metallic, precise, etc. yet i think it'd maybe be cool if they had a nice combination of both going, have those two types of sounds juxtaposed.

anyway yeah i think this might be in my top 3 or 4 also.

there's still a lot of nice warm analogue sounds rite? they're closer to filtered raw tones though. I don't think ae were ever truly digital but I could be wrong.

yeah they still use loads of Warm Analogue sounds! Guess some of them are pretty mashed up but a pretty recent blatant use of it is Y7.. The lovely Squelch of that acid line gets me everytime!

Also thinking about more recent stuff what about Bladelores!? Cant get much more warm and analogue sounding than that!

oh yeah and on the topic, amber is awesome. Gorgeous album to listen to at night before falling alseep.

Edited by kirm

sweet, cheesy album, though it probably shouldn't be considered as autechre by now. kinda like pablo honey and radiohead and mbv and their first album. i'm pretty sure ae themselves are embarrassed that they made something like that.

• Like 1

sweet, cheesy album, though it probably shouldn't be considered as autechre by now. kinda like pablo honey and radiohead and mbv and their first album. i'm pretty sure ae themselves are embarrassed that they made something like that.

They even said something along the lines of they knew how cheesy it was or were embarrassed. It was in an interview somewhere, or maybe the AAA.

atmosphere and emotion over technical cleverness for me.

I think with LP5 they spliced the 3 together perfectly (atmosphere, emotion and technical cleverness). I love Amber and I love LP5. Those 2 are my favorite.

Amber was a blind buy for me and I remember playing it and sitting there totally stunned! I bought it because it was the only cd in the Autechre rack in HMV. If it had been Draft 7.30 I may not be in an Autechre forum now lol.

Edited by beerwolf

They even said something along the lines of they knew how cheesy it was or were embarrassed. It was in an interview somewhere, or maybe the AAA.

heh, yeah, i'm probably projecting what they said and what i had forgotten as my own opinion.

Guest dcom

Amber has been number one of my best albums list since its release (you'll have to take into account the size and selection of my record collection to understand why this is a big deal for me). I have a metric ton of personal memories and experiences tied to the album and whenever I listen to it, I'm usually unable to do anything else except listen. In my not so humble opinion, Amber is still the most balanced and emotionally charged Autechre album there is.

Cheers, Nuutti.

amber was my entrypoint for ae. Still dig it, but appreciate their later output more. perhaps I should grant it a new listen.

• Like 1