IGNORED

Tomorrows Harvest - Today

phudoshin

Guest Black Calx

Absolutely love this record, fits in nicely with everything else they have written. They probably had one of the finest pre-release campaigns that i have ever had the pleasure of being (kinda) a part of, my fav had to be sat on YouTube with another 20,000+ fans listening to it for the first time and chatting in the comments, sublime!!!

I can't believe how wrong candiru is on this one. I don't understand the arrogance people feel entitled to when it comes to negatively attacking the artistic works of others. show some godamn respect mate, you couldn't produce shit half as good as this so I'd advise you to can it immediately.

I exaggerated my opinion for effect to contradict a lot of what I and some others see as blind hero worship. I don't think it's this offensively bad album, but I do think it's surprisingly tame and is "just enough". I don't have automatic respect for musicians or artists and nobody should. You won't find inspiration that way.

it's not automatic respect and I don't know who made you the sage of inspiration. it's more courteous to take the stance of 'I don't like this and here's why' than 'this is why this thing sucks and boc should feel bad'. I don't care if it's a message board, it just makes you look like you're determined to make others as negative about something as you are. there are times for calling out more obvious bullshit but I think it is clear this is was a pretty satisfying release for most people. the notion that you are 'countering the praise' seems bitter and childish to me.

I don't think Candiru is necessarily aiming his comments directly at you here, but making comment towards a general sense of blind worship that certainly was happening around the time of the release. I mean, for fuck sake, there was a thread on twoism about sending "The Brothers" a present to thank them for an album no-one had even heard yet.

If that's not blind worship, I don't know what is!

I can't believe how wrong candiru is on this one. I don't understand the arrogance people feel entitled to when it comes to negatively attacking the artistic works of others. show some godamn respect mate, you couldn't produce shit half as good as this so I'd advise you to can it immediately.

I exaggerated my opinion for effect to contradict a lot of what I and some others see as blind hero worship. I don't think it's this offensively bad album, but I do think it's surprisingly tame and is "just enough". I don't have automatic respect for musicians or artists and nobody should. You won't find inspiration that way.

it's not automatic respect and I don't know who made you the sage of inspiration. it's more courteous to take the stance of 'I don't like this and here's why' than 'this is why this thing sucks and boc should feel bad'. I don't care if it's a message board, it just makes you look like you're determined to make others as negative about something as you are. there are times for calling out more obvious bullshit but I think it is clear this is was a pretty satisfying release for most people. the notion that you are 'countering the praise' seems bitter and childish to me.

I don't think Candiru is necessarily aiming his comments directly at you here, but making comment towards a general sense of blind worship that certainly was happening around the time of the release. I mean, for fuck sake, there was a thread on twoism about sending "The Brothers" a present to thank them for an album no-one had even heard yet.

from that point of view it does sound silly.

then again, it is just the outcome of us boc fanboys getting to finally hear something new after 8 years of silence. It might have been "blind worship" but hey, people are like that.

then again, it is just the outcome of us boc fanboys getting to finally hear something new after 8 years of silence. It might have been "blind worship" but hey, people are like that.

so, with that very same reasoning you're saying there, is it not even remotely plausible that the praise this album seems to get almost universally, is actually tinged with this "omg it's been 8 years, this is awesome" mentality?

so, with that very same reasoning you're saying there, is it not even remotely plausible that the praise this album seems to get almost universally, is actually tinged with this "omg it's been 8 years, this is awesome" mentality?

yeah, it obviously is affected by that. same would happen if aphex released something again, people (or I least I would) feel they must like it.

but there is also genuine enjoyment involved I guess, is a bit like that saying "we like the music we hear, not the music we like".

yeah, it obviously is affected by that. same would happen if aphex released something again, people (or I least I would) feel they must like it.

but there is also genuine enjoyment involved I guess, is a bit like that saying "we like the music we hear, not the music we like".

there is no black or white, only shades of grey.

there is no black or white, only blakanyelloblakanyelloblakanyelloblakanyello.

:cerious: Edited by Gocab

I was never a huge fanboy to begin with and I didn't have high or even low expectations, but it was definitely my "blind taste test" first listen that really exposed how much people can overreact to music based on social factors surrounding it. Not saying it like its a fact but... damn I thought it was worth mentioning in some way. I can entertain myself at least.

Nobody thinks a band owes them anything, I was just surprised to hear something so watered down after such a long gestation period, and even more surprised that more people weren't noticing the same thing. So I made a post basically saying we shouldn't hold artists in such high regard on some exalted pedestal if we truly feel our own imaginations are more potent and interesting than this album.

Edited by Candiru

I'm just saying we shouldn't look at this like it's some creative pinnacle just because it was made by a respected band. What's wrong with thinking we can all aim a little bit higher ourselves? Whether it's music or any pursuit. People put so many limitations on themselves and it keeps truly interesting things from happening.

This album is good, but I don't think it's quite great or transformative. It has a nice enough flow and I get the aesthetic and intent. Seems to me that it doesn't always do enough to transcend the soundtrack work that clearly influenced it. Nothing wrong with cribbing off this stuff, but I've lived in that headspace since the 80s, you know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwHQltabnxU

Edited by baph

Guest totemcrackerjack

there is no black or white, only blakanyelloblakanyelloblakanyelloblakanyello.

:cerious:

:boc:

Some of the best albums are ones that divide opinion, especially where it's either a 'love' or 'hate', and where there is no middle ground. It seems TH has that effect. So imo that's a good thing, fan or not.

I think it's good and important that big albums like TH get a retrospective thread after a year.

One thing that has become apparent to me over the last ten years on the subject of Boards is how they are masters of their carefully managed image.

The gushing praise by the media, (most of the twoism board) and a few posters on here is, I think, as someone else as suggested, a symptom of the years of waiting.

As much as I deeply admire their asthetics and sound, there is nothing to suggest that an album of lo-fi electonica should take eight years. These guys are both extremely talented artists (but more importantly in this day and age) they are savvy marketeers. They understand the necessity of limiting their output as a way of generating interest.

Does anyone really believe they would now have the kind of following and admiration they currently have if they released an album roughly every two years?

I know that we could all argue that their particular sound cannot just be called up whenever Warp require something new and artists can't just produce things to any kind of schedule.

As an artist, it must be a risky propostion - release more regularly and lose the cult and mystique or keep them waiting nearly a decade and hope that the music justifies it.

Last June, I spent a good portion of my time literally willing myself to like TH simply because Campfire felt like it had happened a lifetime ago.

</first_world_problems>

I think it's good and important that big albums like TH get a retrospective thread after a year.
One thing that has become apparent to me over the last ten years on the subject of Boards is how they are masters of their carefully managed image.
The gushing praise by the media, (most of the twoism board) and a few posters on here is, I think, as someone else as suggested, a symptom of the years of waiting.
As much as I deeply admire their asthetics and sound, there is nothing to suggest that an album of lo-fi electonica should take eight years. These guys are both extremely talented artists (but more importantly in this day and age) they are savvy marketeers. They understand the necessity of limiting their output as a way of generating interest.
Does anyone really believe they would now have the kind of following and admiration they currently have if they released an album roughly every two years?
I know that we could all argue that their particular sound cannot just be called up whenever Warp require something new and artists can't just produce things to any kind of schedule.
As an artist, it must be a risky propostion - release more regularly and lose the cult and mystique or keep them waiting nearly a decade and hope that the music justifies it.
Last June, I spent a good portion of my time literally willing myself to like TH simply because Campfire felt like it had happened a lifetime ago.
</first_world_problems>

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, man.

Guest Gravity

If people truly think that this album is their best work, I donno what to say but saying that they're just mindlessly following them isn't the right way to go about it. Maybe you and I don't think so, but who are we to say that they're wrong? A lot of people think AE post 98 is straight up random garbage.

Hopefully their next release hits the mark though, hard. The way they limited their tracks on this release hurt it.

Also, I'd say fans getting really excited after waiting 8 years is pretty normal.

edit: and yeah 8 years is definitely too long, but didn't they say in an interview that they actually started this album like 2 years ago? or am i wrong.

Edited by Gravity

Corsair.

edit: I will say this again, there was no "Over the Horizon radar" or "Olson" or "Tears from the Coumpound eye" in TH, not for me at least. That feeling those tracks gave me, I missed it on this release. That's my only complaint.

Edited by MIXL2

I 100% agree BoC would have a very strong following if they released an album every 2 years

Look at Ae

They are alarmingly consistent with albums every 2-3 years and their fan base is immense

But more importantly if they put out an album some are less excited by, you don't feel too upset because you know you just have to wait two years (or less) and you will have something new

8 years and no reason to think there is an immediate follow up, if you feel underwhelmed it stings just a little bit more

Again, i actually like the album

But to say it wasn't devisive... Did you read the reactions on this forum when it came out?

even look at some in this thread

Fumi, lumpy, osc, etc

Edited by fizzkinz

wtf is going on ITT. this isn't a 'divisive release' most people straight up dug this oneas for the statement 'there is no reason to suggest an album of lo fi electronica should take eight years' let me just remind people once more where their place is as the listener. you're not above boc and you're not their manager. they can do whatever the fuck they like and they can release whatever the fuck they like. 'lo fi electronica' is such a misunderstanding and has been applied very flippantly and passively. how incredibly dismissive of you. also, you shouldn't have to 'try' to like something so maybe that's the problem. it is what it is and you can like or dislike it but please learn to distinguish between 'I don't like this' and 'this is a bad release'and yes, they would have the following they have if they released an album every two years. they'd probably have a bigger following. do you really think people only like boc because of the 'mystery'?

Now this is exactly the sort of ridiculous reply that makes me wonder just what sort of individuals post on here.

Of course I'm not their fucking manager and they can release whatever they like - thanks for stating that Captain Obvious.

How has the term lo-fi electronica been applied dismissively? Music has to be called something doesn't it? Stop putting words in my mouth and assuming I'm speaking for everyone on here. I'm not. A great many people adore them - including myself.

Go back and read my post - I've stated both there and elsewhere that I think they are incredibly talented people and maybe the finest artists to appear in almost twenty years. If that's not praise then I don't know what is.

Yes, it is what it is - another great acute observation by you.

My post focused on the marketing aspect and their cleverly marketed image - something that is a symptom of the current age.

There's no need to rush to their defence every time someone posts something that doesn't fIt with your views on them.

I sincerely doubt the band are somehow going to suffer just because you or I said something on an Internet forum.

It's truly sad that even now (almost a year since the release) I make a balanced opinionated post only to have some individual try to make it personal.

Maybe that's just the nature of Internet forums, I guess.

it's not divisive because it's too cutting edge or too future. It's divisive because of the rabid cult like following and others who do not subscribe to that. I don't think it's a stretch to say that music like this isn't terribly unique these days and has been done better over the years, not just by BoC, but increasingly by other artists who take their influence and run with it in more interesting directions. TH felt like someone restating the obvious, that feel of fans finally catching up to their heroes and surpassing them.

BoC's gonna BoC, we get that, but it certainly doesn't hurt to point out that the throne can be taken from people. It does, in fact happen. Even when Scorsese decided to make other films in the vein of Goodfellas, he made sure to crank it up a few notches, not turn it down.

Completely aside (mostly to disperse the negativity I once again seem to have generated), I'd recommend people who enjoyed the mellower moments on TH to check out Mark Isham's 'Film Music' release on Windham Hill.

Yes, I'm aware the Sandisons name checked him during the TH interviews but as a 45 year-old codger, I'm old enough to remember when these pieces first appeared in their respective films, especially 'Mrs Soffel' with the very lovely Diane Keaton starring along side a very young Mel Gibson

The album is a little difficult to find nowadays but not impossible.. There are three pieces - 'Mrs Soffel', 'The Life And Times Of Harvey Milk' and 'Never Cry Wolf'.

As to the mood, think of the synth sequences from the film 'Witness' by Maurice Jarre - also an extremely loved (and not forgotten) master of mood and evocation.

Regards