IGNORED

Tomorrows Harvest - Today

phudoshin

Out of all the feature artist's recent releases, I personally still believe BOC comes out on top.

TH is such a beautiful album, still haven't got bored with it at all.

And now that it is more than a year old, I can confidently say that it would go into a top 5 of my all-time favorite albums, without feeling silly about it.

I hate sounding like a fanboy, but that's genuinely how I feel... I'm quite passionate about it. Can't really think of an another album, in recent years, that has had such a big place in my consciousness. In a lot of ways I feel like it has been tailored to my taste.

It is a great album, but it's only flaw imo is that it is pretty straight forward. I worked it all out pretty quickly. Their other albums still reveal...

Edited by beerwolf

that's weird, bro. if you go without for a long time you're meant to gush forth geysers of hot manjuice, not little puffs of dust like you've been jerkin' it 10x a day.

that's weird, bro. if you go without for a long time you're meant to gush forth geysers of hot manjuice, not little puffs of dust like you've been jerkin' it 10x a day.

yeeah, that's right, it's known as 'The Gush'

please watch/listen as its very amusing

Edited by beerwolf

• 2 weeks later...

I came here to be a spoilsport and say that I find T.H. hasn't aged well at all.

The longer the break I take from it, the less I think of it the next time round. I've never really "enjoyed" the album in the first place, but I gave it a chance to grow on me, which it did, for a little bit. I guess it was mostly the BoC-Withdrawal speaking, I really wanted it to be good, but I think at this point it's safe to say that IMO it is their weakest release by far. It's also really the only album by them that from start to finish sounds like the kind of music that was made because someone wanted to make it, not because someone HAD to make it., if you know what I mean.

And they have mentioned in interviews how they were going through "darker times" around the time Geogaddi was produced, which is a state of mind that I think either purposely and/or involuntarily found its way into the music they created then. Maybe T.H. is the result of them literary having "not much to say" at the moment. Could also be the reason for their total abscence in the years before. Which is fine really, it's a legitimate development, they're people, not the mystical figures some fans want them to be.

Of course I'd never have said that before hearing T.H. as I am way too curious a person for that type of thing, but having properly digested T.H., I'd even go so far and say I kind of wish they didn't release that album in the first place. I can't imagine them being satisfied with the way it sounds. Then again, I reckon they're the type of artists who are never 100% satisfied with what they created, which is honorable. But some part of them must have told them, this isn't on the same level as some shit we did years ago. So I hope they wait until they're actually inspired until the next release, even if it takes them 20 years. And cut down all the marketing shenanigans and fan service. Just make the type of music you want to make. Maybe I'm completely off with my estimation and they are high-fiving each other about Tomorrow's Harvest every morning, but somehow I don't see that being the case. I mean, listen to Happy Cycling (MHTRT Version), that shit was raw and inspired, not polished and hollow.

Okay watmm I'm out again for a bit. See you in some weeks probably!

If you have listened to BOC for many years then one thing we should understand is their music is another level and I guess perhaps timeless.

So perhaps consider that though you may not like an album now and at this present time, maybe in a few years (or ten years) time find you appreciate it far more than now. I've had TCH in my possession for over a decade and never liked it, somehow it never fitted my frame of mind. Yet now I see it totally different.

So maybe some of you will pick up Tomorrows Harvest in the future and put it on and it will just be perfect. And BOC will make you will eat your words. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Most of the criticism of any of their music is not that the tunes are crap but the vibe being wrong.

Edited by beerwolf

Guest transmisiones ferox

Yeah what just been said, but also, for me even more important, that the band actually released it and I can enjoy it now! And it feels very honest and simple, I'm actually don't get the people who said, that their previous work are better and this hardly suck, I'm get the same vibe from TH like the first time I heard Geogaddi and MHRTC, yes the same very simple and universal approach, on the surface of course! I dunno I'm not that long BOC listener, I'm actually first heard them in 2008 and then only got in right before TH announcing, just got hooked by Geogaddi article, "Brainwashing, Misanthropy and Society: an analysis of Boards Of Canada Geogaddi" you can search it, pretty exciting stuff, dunno, don't wanna sound very fancy, but there's is something about their approach to the music for my ears and this is very much on TH! It's only more prime, like the pre-historic paintings on the caves, those are simple, but nonetheless impressive!

also you may listen to this guy podcast, he made some interesting points about the album,

http://boccast.com/2014/02/boccast-episode-2-tomorrows-harvest-analysis-part-1/

http://boccast.com/2014/03/tomorrows-harvest-part-2/

Edited by arvy Ictal

What can i say about Tomorrow's Harvest today.... i wanna a new BoC ep here's what i say!!!!! GRRRRRRR

btw TH is astonishing in every aspect, i like this death/backinsidethecunt/welcometotheotherside concept... it's all about dead semen, weird egyptian rituals, mass society implodes, try to find and escape. I can imagine a whole different setting of this death/survival theme everytime, it's like watching a different "death trip/society collapsed" themed movie everytime.

Still i'm here expecting a new ep. Or a wonderful remix (i miss the good ol BoC remixes).

If you have listened to BOC for many years then one thing we should understand is their music is another level and I guess perhaps timeless.

So perhaps consider that though you may not like an album now and at this present time, maybe in a few years (or ten years) time find you appreciate it far more than now. I've had TCH in my possession for over a decade and never liked it, somehow it never fitted my frame of mind. Yet now I see it totally different.

So maybe some of you will pick up Tomorrows Harvest in the future and put it on and it will just be perfect. And BOC will make you will eat your words. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Most of the criticism of any of their music is not that the tunes are crap but the vibe being wrong.

I agree with you 100% about TCH. It was the only boc I ever passed up. At the time of its release I was just in a totally different place musically. I Was playing a lot of live music with a older friend who opened me up to a whole new world of 70's fusion. A boc atmosphere or tempo was the last thing I wanted to hear. But recently when they reprinted all their albums, I picked up tch to fill out the discography and I really have been listening to it a ton. Mostly while working. It really is a beautiful album. Boc haven't let me down yet, it's always a pleasant treat.

I came here to be a spoilsport and say that I find T.H. hasn't aged well at all.

The longer the break I take from it, the less I think of it the next time round. I've never really "enjoyed" the album in the first place, but I gave it a chance to grow on me, which it did, for a little bit. I guess it was mostly the BoC-Withdrawal speaking, I really wanted it to be good, but I think at this point it's safe to say that IMO it is their weakest release by far. It's also really the only album by them that from start to finish sounds like the kind of music that was made because someone wanted to make it, not because someone HAD to make it., if you know what I mean.

And they have mentioned in interviews how they were going through "darker times" around the time Geogaddi was produced, which is a state of mind that I think either purposely and/or involuntarily found its way into the music they created then. Maybe T.H. is the result of them literary having "not much to say" at the moment. Could also be the reason for their total abscence in the years before. Which is fine really, it's a legitimate development, they're people, not the mystical figures some fans want them to be.

Of course I'd never have said that before hearing T.H. as I am way too curious a person for that type of thing, but having properly digested T.H., I'd even go so far and say I kind of wish they didn't release that album in the first place. I can't imagine them being satisfied with the way it sounds. Then again, I reckon they're the type of artists who are never 100% satisfied with what they created, which is honorable. But some part of them must have told them, this isn't on the same level as some shit we did years ago. So I hope they wait until they're actually inspired until the next release, even if it takes them 20 years. And cut down all the marketing shenanigans and fan service. Just make the type of music you want to make. Maybe I'm completely off with my estimation and they are high-fiving each other about Tomorrow's Harvest every morning, but somehow I don't see that being the case. I mean, listen to Happy Cycling (MHTRT Version), that shit was raw and inspired, not polished and hollow.

Absolutely agree with this.

Some of the tracks on this album are so forced it's just sad. And a few of them sound like they are just plucked from older work that hasn't been released (which they admitted to doing).

As far as every release this by far my least favorite. Their multitude of amazing stuff just suffocates TH, and therefore I am not upset that I do not enjoy it. Too much to look back upon and smile about.

Absolutely agree with this.

Some of the tracks on this album are so forced it's just sad. And a few of them sound like they are just plucked from older work that hasn't been released (which they admitted to doing).

As far as every release this by far my least favorite. Their multitude of amazing stuff just suffocates TH, and therefore I am not upset that I do not enjoy it. Too much to look back upon and smile about.

same. It's weird how you can seemingly feel the "forced" in a musical effort, and yet when someone who disagrees with you asks you to justify the impression, it can be difficult to do so. You either feel it or you don't...maybe it's projecting but I often feel I can gauge the "sincerity" or "passion" of an artist when they were creating their work...TH sounds like an intellectual exercise,has moments of seeming "fan service" (epic gestures), and is short on emotion and surprises. I'd go so far as to say it is morbid and dry enough that it went a long way to killing my interest in BoC, it just really feels like a headstone - "nothing more to see here, move along..."

in any case, I haven't come back to TH since the first couple of weeks I listened to it. I think that was a fair shake. Campfire Headphase was also arguably overproduced, but it still had enough meat and amazing production and density that I kept coming back to it. I think whether by design or accident, BoC just squeezed all the life out of TH.

Well it's kind of like going to a highly recommended burger place and ordering one of their exalted supreme acclaimed burgers. The wait is unusually long but hey we're all human and we all know this ain't gonna be no half assed burger right?

Then you take a bite and its a veggie burger. And you KNOW it is, you weren't born yesterday. Everyone at your table ordered the same thing and can't shut up about how great their burger is. "It's not a veggie burger you ungrateful bastard!" they all say but I can see that they all have one too.

So some time has gone by for this album to settle but it's still a veggie burger.

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised by the stark division between the loves and not loves (plus amount of dust!?). I think it's a good album, but I'm not head over heels in love, or anything. I have noticed myself skipping tracks when one pops up in a long random playlist. Mostly because it doesn't fit the mood at the time. But even though I can skip the occasional track, I can still hear the things which I consider classic BOC in them. It's still quality, imo. TH just seems more dependent on having the right mood than their other albums. It's in a different place.

The bit about it sounding forced in places, got me thinking for a bit. To me the individual tracks don't sound forced, but I do get that feeling. To me, it's more about the collection as a whole perhaps, which makes it feels forced. Other albums had more different moods. And TH feels a bit fascist in this aspect. Like someone put a gun against his head, saying the tracks should represent a certain mood, in a specific order. And you're not supposed to play it in a different setting.

Edited by goDel

I've found myself listening to the album a LOT recently - I think it works especially well as a complete album (from start to finish), just like a soundtrack to a film, which I heavily suspect that was BOC's intent with the themes on this album.

I really think people may have dismissed this too quickly when it was first released, as I find the tracks as iconic and classic as anything they've put out in the past.

It also shows a clear evolution in their sound, and that might be why some don't like it - they were expecting more of what BOC previously did.

Add to the fact there was an 8-year gap in their last output and Tomorrow's Harvest, I think that even more reinforced the expectation for it to sound more like their prior work.

This album is the definition of a "grower" for me. When I heard it I thought it was pretty good. Not incredible and definitely not bad.. but I listened to it a bit more a couple months later when the hype faded and that's when I "got" it. . Very very good.. and I personally love the theme.. at least the way I interpret it. It feels really mature and not flashy at all.. just solid, atmospheric, and wonderfully subtle. And head and shoulders above Campfire Headphase

Edited by Vaaler9

I've found myself listening to the album a LOT recently - I think it works especially well as a complete album (from start to finish), just like a soundtrack to a film, which I heavily suspect that was BOC's intent with the themes on this album.

They've mentioned it a lot in the interviews...That's exactly what they wanted to make