IGNORED

Tomorrows Harvest - Today

phudoshin

I think, BOC in their earlier days, hit on a world that drew everyone in. This old electronic music world of 60s and 70s which has associations to cartoons, movies, nature, eagles and fuckin natural parks and boyscouts and just general mystery of memories, and they managed to nail it and stick it in a more modern package. I think maybe TCH didn't deliver as much on that mystery, and TH, even though it has, at least to me, a more promising concept, does not, for whatever reason deliver the old horror / thriller type of mood. I still feel like the world is there, and there are tracks that can be created that gives all those emotions, but I just don't feel like this is it. Although, a part of me also knows that the brain is what creates all this stuff and it is subjective, so it could be a matter of a persons life that determines how impactful a record is, but at the same time it feels like there are 'objective' sounds that kind of resonate with a lot of people, it's not like everyone is different about everything. So fuck if I know. I still like several of the tracks, but it's not like a heavyweight I guess.

You did a great job articulating why Campfire Headphase and, to a lesser extent, Tomorrow's Harvest don't hit the same heights as their previous work. The great thing about their previous work is their ability to convey nostalgia with a dark undercurrent.... it was the musical equivalent of thinking back on positive childhood memories as an adult and realizing that the situations might not have been so positive. Songs like Twoism also conveyed a sense of wonderment... there was an honesty to the music that is lacking in later works.

Which isn't to say that Campfire or Harvest are bad albums - they're very good - but they are missing that magic of earlier releases.

I think, BOC in their earlier days, hit on a world that drew everyone in. This old electronic music world of 60s and 70s which has associations to cartoons, movies, nature, eagles and fuckin natural parks and boyscouts and just general mystery of memories, and they managed to nail it and stick it in a more modern package. I think maybe TCH didn't deliver as much on that mystery, and TH, even though it has, at least to me, a more promising concept, does not, for whatever reason deliver the old horror / thriller type of mood. I still feel like the world is there, and there are tracks that can be created that gives all those emotions, but I just don't feel like this is it. Although, a part of me also knows that the brain is what creates all this stuff and it is subjective, so it could be a matter of a persons life that determines how impactful a record is, but at the same time it feels like there are 'objective' sounds that kind of resonate with a lot of people, it's not like everyone is different about everything. So fuck if I know. I still like several of the tracks, but it's not like a heavyweight I guess.

I very much agree with this. Very well put.

I would add that I think if you stripped their most powerful songs down to their essences (composition, chords, melodies) they would still resonate deeply. Doing it with de-tuned beautiful eerie synth work as well as mutilated self-sampled work pushed it to a new dimension and made it a revelation to a large group of people. And nostalgia is a part of that. But there's more there.

• 3 weeks later...

I just re-listened to TH in its entirety with some new speakers for the first time in ages, and I was blown away. I wasn't expecting to be blown away or even to make it all the way through the entire album - and I didn't have to 'try' to get into it. I was just sucked in, and the music seemed far more layered and detailed than I remembered it. Actually, it's interesting to me that I used to find the album too minimalistic in comparison to their previous works and somewhat sonically/musically tame, because during this listen many of the tracks came across as ridiculously detailed and full of clever nuances. The album's structure seemed pitched brilliantly and the atmosphere was wonderfully potent. I love it when albums 'click' like this!

I just re-listened to TH in its entirety with some new speakers for the first time in ages, and I was blown away. I wasn't expecting to be blown away or even to make it all the way through the entire album - and I didn't have to 'try' to get into it. I was just sucked in, and the music seemed far more layered and detailed than I remembered it. Actually, it's interesting to me that I used to find the album too minimalistic in comparison to their previous works and somewhat sonically/musically tame, because during this listen many of the tracks came across as ridiculously detailed and full of clever nuances. The album's structure seemed pitched brilliantly and the atmosphere was wonderfully potent. I love it when albums 'click' like this!

I'm still waiting for this to happen. Just like you, when I listen to Geogaddi & Campfire Headphase, I hear layer upon layer upon layer of sonic beauty, yet when I listen to Tomorrow's Harvest, I'm just not getting that depth. It seems muddled and shallow to my ears. I'm sure it will hit me at some point too.

Edited by ryetronics

I'm still waiting for this to happen. Just like you, when I listen to Geogaddi & Campfire Headphase, I hear layer upon layer upon layer of sonic beauty, yet when I listen to Tomorrow's Harvest, I'm just not getting that depth. It seems muddled and shallow to my ears. I'm sure it will hit me at some point too.

It will. Keep listening.

It won't. The album is just empty. That's what the band wanted to go with

• 2 weeks later...

I think after giving it a long time to settle in, this could actually be my favourite overall BOC album... maybe there's no standout track that's grabbed me as much as some of their earlier releases, but as an album it's absolutely solid and I haven't got even slightly bored with it despite loads of listens.

• 1 month later...

I think after giving it a long time to settle in, this could actually be my favourite overall BOC album... maybe there's no standout track that's grabbed me as much as some of their earlier releases, but as an album it's absolutely solid and I haven't got even slightly bored with it despite loads of listens.

I second that completely - it was around this time of year 2 years ago when I first heard it and my second kid was due to be born. It has enormous nostalgic (IRONY alert) appeal for me and I've been really loving the vinyl recently on a warm spring evening. One of my favorite albums of albums of all time with a coherent, aesthetic. Also the promotional effort and twitter folloiwng at the time was truly amazing

Heres a vid made at the time

Edited by phudoshin

A strange thing just happened.

I just listened to this album all the way through on vinyl and ready enjoyed it.

Played sides 4 > 2 > 3 then 1 so I could continuously mix through on my decks.

Probably the first time in 6 months ive listened to this album and it sounded great

• 3 weeks later...

People don't really listen to the album, I think. It's like they all say it's great, but they don't actually listen to it lol

I played it last week and really enjoyed it, more so than when it came out I think.

People don't really listen to the album, I think. It's like they all say it's great, but they don't actually listen to it lol

Trust me I still play albums. From beginning to end. And this one is perfect for such quests.

I'm not blowing smoke up the Sandison's arseholes I can assure you.

Edited by beerwolf

Trust me I still play albums. From beginning to end. And this one is perfect for such quests.

I'm not blowing smoke up the Sandison's arseholes I can assure you.

I enjoy it every time I put it on, and sometimes I try to force myself to think of it negatively to see why it got such bad reactions, but even then it still seems to overcome the bad expectations.

I think the album art and some track titles/vague concept turned some people off, yet the music itself is not really that different overall, and if you put some happy 70's nostalgia stuff on the cover it might have had a totally different reaction in terms of the vibes... I don't find the music is really much simpler or less melodic or all these things people mention, if I play a random track back to back with the rest of their material it fits together fine...I also think many of the tracks are pretty uplifting in terms of mood

Most BOC fans that I knew had this same kind of backlash for Geogaddi, a bunch of us would listen to MHTRTC non stop but then with Geogaddi everybody was like "it's just not the same" and kind of gave up on them altogether, now Geogaddi is revered

Also not sure if it's just me but it seems like the overall sound quality and recording/mastering is their best ever, the way all the layers of sound interact is phenomenal, there's some kind of extra richness in the synth chords, so many little details that build up in the background especially on headphones

But maybe I'm just not really listening I guess :)

Also not sure if it's just me but it seems like the overall sound quality and recording/mastering is their best ever, the way all the layers of sound interact is phenomenal, there's some kind of extra richness in the synth chords, so many little details that build up in the background especially on headphones

I'm the opposite. TH sounds so flat to me when compared to Campfire Headphase or Geogaddi. Those two albums I can hear layer after layer but TH still isn't striking that chord with me. Go figure. It must be me because you're not the first person to make that observation.

Edited by ryetronics

I'm the opposite. TH sounds so flat to me when compared to Campfire Headphase or Geogaddi. Those two albums I can hear layer after layer but TH still isn't striking that chord with me. Go figure. It must be me because you're not the first person to make that observation.

Well there's a ton of people on both sides of this angle, so it's definitely not just you :) I feel like I'm in the minority on this one!

Maybe you have to join the dots yourself? Perhaps your imagination needs to fill in those blanks on the canvas? The sounds on the album created just enough to pique footpaths on the maps in your brain.

Book a plane ticket to Alice Springs and go on a journey into the desert. Play this fucking loud. I bet a different beast sounds it's call.

(Drunk post lol :beer: )

Edited by beerwolf

Maybe you have to join the dots yourself? Perhaps your imagination needs to fill in those blanks on the canvas? The sounds on the album created just enough to pique footpaths on the maps in your brain.

Book a plane ticket to Alice Springs and go on a journey into the desert. Play this fucking loud. I bet a different beast sounds it's call.

(Drunk post lol :beer: )

I was in Las Vegas when the desert listening session happened, and when it actually came out I listened to it while driving through the desert from Las Vegas to Denver which I think really enhanced everything from then on

This is a solid release. Honestly hadn't heard it in 6+ months after my initial repeated listens on release - when I saw Mogwai here about a month and a half back the album was played in full while everyone was settling into their seats. Reminded me how good it was.