IGNORED

Tomorrows Harvest - Today

phudoshin

Mogwai played TH as their walk-on music? amazon.

embarrassingly i said to my partner "i know this... what is it? i can't remember what it is" before realising a few minutes later. some fan i am.

it couldn,t possibly live up to the hype at the time,but now it,s"just another boc album" i listen to it with different ears,still a couple of tracks that don,t do it for me, but some amazing tracks on this

Yeah some tracks are harder than others to get into, especially depending on mood, and I find the second half to be better than the first half which maybe turns some people off when they try to listen to it all the way through ... sometimes Jacquard Causeway's rhythms grate on me but there are tracks that can do that on any of their albums depending on the day... I wasn't expecting it to be perfect, just blown away to have any new BOC after so long.

Certain tracks really can really grab you on certain days/times of year/places, right now I'm surrounded by mountains and currently hooked on Sundown

Cold Earth really is a little slice of perfection. It may not be to everyone's tastes of course, but it is a perfectly constructed, moody, catchy little tune. A little gem that just couldn't possibly be any better at being exactly what it is.

As a whole, that's sort of how I feel about this album. It's a nearly perfect execution of being what it is. Very calculated and surgical, in a lot of ways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a solid release. Honestly hadn't heard it in 6+ months after my initial repeated listens on release - when I saw Mogwai here about a month and a half back the album was played in full while everyone was settling into their seats. Reminded me how good it was.

Ooh missed that post - bloody excellent!

• 1 month later...

Overall a great release.  I'm still surprised by my initial interpretation of Reach for the Dead when the single came out before the album.  At first I thought it was an ok, new BoC style track...and now I think it is truly one for the ages.  There's not many tracks that have blown me away like that one.

I'd rate this a solid 5 bags of buttered popcorn.

The beat on that track is so dogshit it's really what makes it so fun to bash this album(and I don't even really hate the album)

I dunno, it seems like they put the polyrhythm there intentionally to make it less catchy and more discordant or dreadful. There are some nice chords but its all out of sync and there are different time signatures going. I think Goiter's analysis was pretty spot on for the overall mood of the track.

Still not a great track in my opinion. I see what they were going for, but it's pretty hard to listen to. 

Edited by drukqs

Been listening to the album again since this summer, after a long break, could have easily been a year or so.

It's only gotten even better with time, and by association with everything that's changed in the world and in my personal life since it was released.

The album feels shorter than it used to, too. Always a good sign.

Been listening to the album again since this summer, after a long break, could have easily been a year or so.

It's only gotten even better with time, and by association with everything that's changed in the world and in my personal life since it was released.

Agreed - for me, Tomorrow's Harvest has always been a late Summer early Fall album - fits the changing of the seasons well.

It's funny how BOC's albums (for me) seem to resonate with the seasons:

MHTRTC - late December/New Years Winter bliss

Geogaddi - dead of Summer, hot, sweltering claustrophobia

TCH - late Spring/Summer vacation

TH - late Summer early Fall seasons changing

MHTRTC - late December/New Years Winter bliss

Geogaddi - dead of Summer, hot, sweltering claustrophobia

TCH - late Spring/Summer vacation

TH - late Summer early Fall seasons changing

Pretty similar to me, though in my mind MHTRTC is more rainy late autumn/early winter and Geogaddi the Autumn circa leaves turning the same colour as the front cover

• 4 weeks later...

What an interesting point. (about perceived duration)

Their most cohesive 'statement', if not their best album.

Agreed, it’s very much ‘of a piece.’ I would actually say the same of Geogaddi too, though there it’s less apparent at first because:

(1) so many tracks are perfectly capable of standing alone as well as meshing with the album proper, and

(2) TH’s cohesion is on par with a cinematic score; the nature of its tightness is dramatic/illustrative, as though it were conceived as complementary to some absent visual or narrative corollary piece. Whereas Geogaddi’s cohesion is paradoxically grounded in a global abstraction, an omnipresent sense of doubt or disbelief akin to magic (n/either angelic n/or diabolic). TH coheres like an operatic suite; G hangs impossibly together like a fever dream.

I love that this album goes so well with the desert as a setting. I don't often listen to it in entirety but I go back and listen to sections regularly. Especially the first and last few tracks. It's great driving music, especially if you live somewhere bleak.

I love that this album goes so well with the desert as a setting. I don't often listen to it in entirety but I go back and listen to sections regularly. Especially the first and last few tracks. It's great driving music, especially if you live somewhere bleak.

yep.. my vid:

yep.. my vid:

lush! that's my favorite track on the album

• 4 weeks later...

The Campfire Headphase is the superior bubblebath sex album. BoC will try to be all cryptic and act like "no. Art. Live in the woods." But come on people, I know it, you know it. Everybody knows it.

• 5 months later...

The album has grown on me in a tremendous way. I was disappointed to the point of being distraught when I first heard it. I've probably only listened to it in full a handful of times, but each listen brings out new subtle details. Listened again today on a long walk, and decided that I love this album. 

The album has grown on me in a tremendous way. I was disappointed to the point of being distraught when I first heard it. I've probably only listened to it in full a handful of times, but each listen brings out new subtle details. Listened again today on a long walk, and decided that I love this album. 

Exactly this feeling. Listened to it when it came out but didn't really get into it. 

A month ago I bought the vinyl and now listening to it on a daily basis. The mood in the album is just fantastic. 

For me this album is their best. 

Jacquard Causeway is definitely my favourite track off the album. 

Edited by Time Tourist

listened to this again recently and yeah it's a damn good underated album, fuck yeah moods

not their best for me but gotta give props for their flawless discograpy