IGNORED

Hello

Quextal

Guest bitroast

Ultravisitor was the first album to really coin the term psybreaks I believe. Psychedelic breaks as fuck.

Guest bitroast

this looks like kind of the music my finnish psytrance dj housemate from last years sharehouse would listen to and try and explain using his hands.

Psybreaks means different things to different people. My definition of it is pretty broad but first and foremost it's derived from (nuskool) breaks, so bpm is typically 130-140. Neither downtempo nor drum'n'bass/breakcore speeds qualify.

A lot of what is called psybreaks these days is more accurately psychedelic tech-funk, as it has a regular kick-snare-kick-snare rather than a breaks style beat, and relies on the bassline to provide the groove. The most well known "psybreaks" label, Broken Robot, and best known artist Hedflux, usually operate in that realm.

I tend to put a wider spectrum of "psybreaks" into my mixes that incorporates anything from electro to trippy progressive breaks to acid breaks. It's been many years since I've done a promo mix in this style (partly because it's the mainstay of my NSB radio show, which means I tend to focus on other genres when doing a promo mix). This one's getting on for 5 years old, but might give you a rough idea of the range: http://quextal.com/archives/273/mix-ispybreaks

Quextal, I read your post in my head in the voice of DJ Nicey from the comedy fictional duo Smashey and Nicey. Sorry.

And I didn't even mention all the good work I do for charity!

But I don't like to talk about it.

it's pronounced charideee.

Kind of a personal question, do you close your eyes when French kiss?

I used to close my eyes but I just felt really silly now I kiss with my eyes open and laugh at how silly the girl looks with her eyes closed.

So I listened to some of this psybreaks stuff on Youtube. It strikes me as the kind of music you come across at a festival where all the white people are and even though you're completely mashed out of your face on drugs you still find it insufferable after about three minutes.

Welcome to WATMM

what's psybreaks then?

Psychedelic breaks. HTH :)

no shit, I thought it was psychosocial breakfasts.

explain what that genre title connotes sound-wise?

Breaks with a bit of a psychedelic influence.

349.gif

Haha!

I used to close my eyes but I just felt really silly now I kiss with my eyes open and laugh at how silly the girl looks with her eyes closed.

I think it's quite obvious that Quexal is the kind of guy who kisses like Cliff Richard in Summer Holiday.

I think it's quite obvious that Quexal is the kind of guy who kisses like Cliff Richard in Summer Holiday.

I wouldn't know - never seen it. Your favourite film, is it?

this looks like kind of the music my finnish psytrance dj housemate from last years sharehouse would listen to and try and explain using his hands.

Dunno why but I leld.

Explaining with the hands is what did me in.

Guest abusivegeorge

FINALLY someone here on MY wavelength. I totally get you dude, for the last couple of years I've been majoring in bitch-spunk and weeta-breaks. I've recently moved onto hard-apple-core and pug-runt.

P.S. Don't take anything here personally ;-)

Archived