IGNORED

Final Fantasy games - where to start , etc??

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast

hi hello. so I am half interested in trying out some final fantasy games again.

I've tried before but always fell out of interest shortly into it. I've been playing bit of vita again and feel playing the games portably may be better suited for me. I notice that ff i through to x are all appearing in some form or another (I-IV as psp remakes, v-ix as original ps one games, x-x2 as HD remakes). I also have a ds and 3ds, if there are any other versions on that system that are superior to what's available on vita?

My main question is.. With all these games and remakes and versions, what's a good place to start? 7?? 10?? Are the psp remakes any good, etc?

THANK YOU!!

probably 7. i wouldn't really know as im not a fan of the series but 7 is the only one i ever played and actually enjoyed. i played 8 9 and 10 for about 45 minutes each before i realized these games are probably not for me.

Never tried them but I hear 4 is the best of the earlier stuff. And my buddies growing up really dug 7 but not 8 for whatever reason

Guest bitroast

Oh I'm happy to go storytelling. I have a new job that goes back and forth between busy and dead quiet and find myself watching tv a bit on the job. I think now may just be the now or never moment for me to get into long winded story driven JRPGs!!

I have to agree that 7 was the best one. I enjoyed all of them except X-2. FF7 set the bar for RPGs and videogame storytelling for years. You'll still be hard pressed to find a game with it's story on par with FF7's. So if you want to start with the best, go 7.

FF6 was an awesome experience too. If you really like that classic SNES style graphics RPGs, this will be a big hit for you.

FF8 was on the romantic side of storytelling. It's a good game though. It's quite easy, i found, with a few little tricks. Not much of a challenge. The card game Triple Triad was neat too.

FFX was really well done. I loved the sphere-grid system for leveling up. You can have really powerful characters by the end when all of them have the entire sphere-grid filled. Nothing beats having Yuna run up to a hulking monster and slap it with her staff, making a little *ting* noise, and doing 99,999 damage.

Out of these games you'll find the music to be great too. Nobuo Uematsu is an incredible musician. It's too bad he stopped doing the music for Final Fantasy after FFX. Music was a huge part of these games, especially the ones without voice acting. The mood was set perfectly, I found.

Guest bitroast

ooo nice. I think i'm gonna do it and take the plunge.

based on this thread i'm towards 7 sure why not! ( why not reason = I've played a bit of it before but I honestly don't remember where I stopped and feel obliged to play through it properly!).

I also played a bit of FF13.
The story bits were actually pretty excellent and engaging. but the hallway style gameplay (that the game is pretty well known for) is absolutely shocking. once I got a bit deeper into the game I found the fights to be really fast paced and enjoyable as well. lots of switching things up and felt pretty engaging.

but my god, was it repetitive. walking down similar landscape after similar landscape : |

Never tried them but I hear 4 is the best of the earlier stuff.

Playing that ....chkchk battle .... now and finding ....chkchk battle .... it a real ....chkchk battle .... struggle to ....chkchk battle .... make any progress ....chkchk battle .... with

Not played any post FF10 but my top 3 in the series is -

ff6

ff7

ff5

ff9 I'm kinda enjoying but it's sooo slooooow. FF6 had a bit of a cliched start and almost gave up but after the first 3(ish) hours it soon picked up. So far I'm 10 hours into 9 and all that's happened is the pricess has escaped, there was some farting about with some beasts released in the streets and I've gone in a cave. I think I was spoiled with 7 where a million things happen in the first couple of hours

Guest Roksen Creek

Personally, if i had to play one, itd be ff tactics. Seems a bit more strategery and less storytelling.

You're joking right? FF Tactics has the best storytelling in the series.

Ff6 is really good, but it feels like there are way more random encounters than in later games. It gets really tedious if you aren't sure where to be going and how get there.

Guest bitroast

ooo looks like FF7 is already downloadable on my vita from when i downloaded it for ps3 and never got very far in it.

that answers that question, i'll start with FF7 !! if/when i decide to play another final fantasy game (when i beat 7, of course!) i'll move onto another recommendation from this thread. maybe 4 or 6 or 10 or 8.

Guest bitroast

After 7 try Crisis Core if it's available

ooo, i'm actually not too sure if it's available on the vita psn but will definitely keep an eye open for it.

currently playing 7 and making my way through the reactor intro area (this is the 3rd time i'm doing this I think .... but... I have a good feeling about this playthrough.. you'll see!)

Definitely FF13 especially on xbox. It might be the only one worth playing actually. Probably one of the best if not the best game I've ever played.

I liked the parts with the shit characters and voice acting. It's a very rewarding game.

I like the bit where you go down the corridors and the people show off their haircuts

I liked the parts with the shit characters and voice acting. It's a very rewarding game.

Once you get passed the first 30 hours or so the game really opens up.

FFX was really well done. I loved the sphere-grid system for leveling up. You can have really powerful characters by the end when all of them have the entire sphere-grid filled. Nothing beats having Yuna run up to a hulking monster and slap it with her staff, making a little *ting* noise, and doing 99,999 damage.

lol i fucking loved that --

ffx was best in my opinion. good collusion of music, graphics, story and gameplay. Everything is functioning at a high level. Except blitzball - woah that minigame was wack.

FF7 excelled in music and story but the gameplay and context menus are bad and of course the graphics are rough as hell.

Guest bitroast

lol i fucking loved that --

ffx was best in my opinion. good collusion of music, graphics, story and gameplay. Everything is functioning at a high level. Except blitzball - woah that minigame was wack.

FF7 excelled in music and story but the gameplay and context menus are bad and of course the graphics are rough as hell.

i'm digging the ff7 music quite a bit.

at times it sort of reminds me of twin peaks. slow jazz songs and etc in the style of midi.

plus (to a lesser extent) the weird drama and story being played out by unexpressive chunky character models. there's a great deal of charm in it all.

and now i'm up to the bit where the girl is working at some gentlemens club and cloud and the flower girl are trying to figure out how to sneak in. parallels with twin peaks continue man!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSkqrig-jHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6w1EUGRoU

Archived