IGNORED

Worst Album You Own ... ?

Terpentintollwut

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always had Becks Midnite Vultures down as the worst album I'd ever heard/owned (In respect that Mellow Gold and Odelay were two of the best albums I'd ever heard). Dunno, maybe I wouldn't hate it so much nowadays? Pretty sure it's still total cack though.

I always had Becks Midnite Vultures down as the worst album I'd ever heard/owned (In respect that Mellow Gold and Odelay were two of the best albums I'd ever heard). Dunno, maybe I wouldn't hate it so much nowadays? Pretty sure it's still total cack though.

Nah, it's good if you listen to it like it was a fucked up Prince album. It has some of his funniest songs (Debra).

Nah, it's good if you listen to it like it was a fucked up Prince album. It has some of his funniest songs (Debra).

It's one of Beck's best albums. Near genius, really. Most people don't like humor mixed with their music unless it's specifically pitched as a comedy album, like Tenacious D.

Not surprising that a complete 180 from that into super serious territory was met with widespread acclaim from fans, but Sea Change is also one of his best so that's cool.

lol, uh-oooh ....

The album that inspired me to create this topic was actually Pan Sonic & Alan Vega - Endless - but I wouldn't say it is THE WORST I own. It's just one that disappointed me so much when I first heard it, and I keep trying to get into it every two years or so but turn it off after 2 tracks. I really don't get what they were going for with this one.

edit: okay re-listening, and this might BE the worst I own. Even the track names are shit.

holy fuck LOL! I read thread title and my mind INSTANTLY went to the OTHER pan sonic & alan vega release: Resurrection River. (http://www.discogs.com/VVV-Resurrection-River/release/517123)

yeah.... massive disappointment with that one - literally no clue what any of them were thinking. esp mika and Ilpo. I can expect alan vega to have no clue what quality is anymore but it's almost comical how bad it is. Undoubtedly the worst release I own, I even know where it sits on my shelf, haunting me like poe's black cat - always watching, always present in my life.

A splinter in my mind driving me mad.

I think I technically own a Creed album from high school; it's probably sitting in my mom's basement somewhere. I bought a lot of shit music before college. Who didn't?

It's one of Beck's best albums. Near genius, really. Most people don't like humor mixed with their music unless it's specifically pitched as a comedy album, like Tenacious D.

Not surprising that a complete 180 from that into super serious territory was met with widespread acclaim from fans, but Sea Change is also one of his best so that's cool.

Agree with Candiru here. In FACT I currently have on my to-do list "re-purchase Midnite Vultures". Love it.

The album I own that I hate the most (harder to argue that it's actually bad) is Sixtoo — Chewing On Glass & Other Miracle Cures. I know some of you here might actually like this record, but I just hate it. It always reads like overserious bro-dude DJ Shadow, except even more boring.

EDIT: I guess I should stipulate that this doesn't include thrift-store vinyl albums that I have, as oftentimes them being bad is the point.

Fucking lol, I just remembered buying a Gorky Park s/t tape when I was a kid. I doubt I have bought anything worse.

For reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrSKG3TS0uE

I have some mxpx CDs from middle school.

lol. i bought one of their cds because i liked their song "chick magnet", it was really bad, sold it

the shittiest record that I own is "the cassandra complex - finland". blind buy... I paid 50 cents for a sealed copy : (

I can't really think of anything. I remember regretting the purchase of some albums when I was in my teens though.. Adore by Smashing Pumpkins was one of them, but I quite like that album now.

Oh! Maybe Holy Wood by Marilyn Manson. Oh boy that album sure was bland as fuck. I don't even have it anymore (sold it over 10 years ago) so maybe it doesn't count..?

cylob - mood bells, perhaps, i'd have 2 check my banished album's box

lol, thread winner. Is there some crazy amazing concept behind it or is it just a bunch of bell synth tracks?

Guest bitroast

worst album for me is Switched On Christmas.

medium_s-on-christmas.jpg

bought it based on the awesome album cover alone and on the assumption it would be moog classic synth covers of Christmas songs.

it ended up being some horrible cheesy disco cover after horrible cheesy disco cover. was pretty crushing.

(urgh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvokkWcZ6AY)

the shop I got it from actually had two Christmas albums, both promising synth covers of Christmas songs.

so I went back and managed to swap this^ album for the other synth Christmas album.

I can't find an image of that other album cover but it was real bland not even funny like the image of santa shooting lasers out of his hands.

turns out the content of the album was exactly the same...

i actually think i threw it out or just gave it back to the shop after that.

!!!edit!!!

the second album, the one I traded Switched on Christmas for, was actually called Switched on Santa. Which actually does exist as proper moog covers of Christmas songs by Sy Mann. (only, yes. the copy I got of Switched on Santa had a different cover and was just Switched on Christmas in disguise).

(here's the real switched on santa, which.. if I owned, would not be the worst album I own - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXx4xsdsyyo)

RJD2 - the third hand.

Oh yeah I have that on cassette tape somewhere - listened to it in 2009 and still have no idea why. I just remember him singing about going to a downtown job and wanting to have kids or some shit, I dunno.

bought it based on the awesome album cover alone and on the assumption it would be moog classic synth covers of Christmas songs.

it ended up being some horrible cheesy disco cover after horrible cheesy disco cover. was pretty crushing.

the shop I got it from actually had two Christmas albums, both promising synth covers of Christmas songs.

so I went back and managed to swap this^ album for the other synth Christmas album.

I can't find an image of that other album cover but it was real bland not even funny like the image of santa shooting lasers out of his hands.

!!!edit!!!

the second album, the one I traded Switched on Christmas for, was actually called Switched on Santa. Which actually does exist as proper moog covers of Christmas songs by Sy Mann. (only, yes. the copy I got of Switched on Santa had a different cover and was just Switched on Christmas in disguise).

(here's the real switched on santa, which.. if I owned, would not be the worst album I own - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXx4xsdsyyo)

was that the one you absolutely lost your shit over at Dixon's that one time?! ridiculous

This thing:

61EW9G5FDRL.jpg

My brother gave it to me for some reason, possibly because I like Nas.... Not sure, but I listened to it once and never again. 70 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Guest bitroast

!!!edit!!!

was that the one you absolutely lost your shit over at Dixon's that one time?! ridiculous

lol! yes. I found the album cover beyond hilarious. could not have been more disappointed.

Guest bitroast

yeah I honestly don't know how you could rate midnite vultures as bad. sort of goes back to the whole die antwoord thing, of how music can be a bit of a pisstake but still be serious and totally awesome. serious music without being totally serious.

stereopathic soulmanure or some of the earlier beck records I would probably consider as being bad, but even then they have great moments and a shit ton of humour/charm.

Archived