IGNORED

Kanye West Boo'd off stage

Hugh Mughnus

Some guy on reddit:

"I was dead center like 10 rows back from the barricade in the back of the pit and I heard no booing. Couple sarcastic comments and "play a fucking song" but the booing wasn't loud enough. If anything it meant the people there to actually see kanye (us who fought for those spots after vampire weekend) were fine and the typical haters were booing #kanyemilitia"

I'm happy this happened. It makes me feel better.

Why? Blame Game wasn't that bad.

I think it was.... shit...

Quite shit. =)

I don't want to make this into another "hate kanye" thread.

I'm just confused how people can be so polarized about this guy and his music.

And how completely ignorant of peoples legitimate criticism Kanye can be. The guy called himself a genius.... =/

Guest bleepsnbloops

Quite shit. =)

And how completely ignorant of peoples legitimate criticism Kanye can be. The guy called himself a genius.... =/

Yeah, the hook/chorus was a bit shite but the production, as usual with Kanye, was really great.

It always surprises me how people fail to see how well crafted and well executed his public persona is. As well as being a talented producer, the guy works the media so well. Which makes it a real shame when people who are apparently 'into music' and should be a little more switched on fall into the 'hate' rubbish.

lol genius ha? a genius always knows he's a genius but kanyeee, plz...stop :facepalm:

but i doubt that even he thinks that he's a genius ala beethoven or autechre or kubrick or shakespeare but more like a 'very talented' person (and imo, he is talented): https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_H1sKi-9OiA#t=389

Quite shit. =)

Yeah, the hook/chorus was a bit shite but the production, as usual with Kanye, was really great.

It always surprises me how people fail to see how well crafted and well executed his public persona is. As well as being a talented producer, the guy works the media so well. Which makes it a real shame when people who are apparently 'into music' and should be a little more switched on fall into the 'hate' rubbish.

I think production quality only goes so far. There are tons of pop songs that are well produced, that doesn't make it quality music does it?

It's soulless, like the majority of big industry music, including lots of electronic.

Guest bleepsnbloops

Quite shit. =)

I think production quality only goes so far. There are tons of pop songs that are well produced, that doesn't make it quality music does it?

It's soulless, like the majority of big industry music, including lots of electronic.

Well, yeah, if a pop song is 'well produced', it's fair to say it has artistic merit as music.

And, if you listen to Yeezus, 808's and MBDTF (and a lot of his older stuff) you'd know it's unfair to draw the comparison between him and most top 40 stuff. He's got a great ear for melody and hooks, knows how to put together a cohesive album, shows a bit of wit with his lyricism and can capture an emotion, be it joy, paranoia, guilt, jealousy etc. with his sonic choices.

So, in what way do you think his music is soulless?

Kanye is a celebrity and musician in the 21st century and it's completely self-aware of it. It's not at all surprising nor negative that he's often abrasive or idiotic or or both. For every ridiculous thing he says and does there's less talked about moments of sincerity and humility.

When I saw him years ago at Austin City Limits, a huge festival, he was totally committed to performing and every rant and speech he went into was about how much he appreciated the audience, all the crew and backup musicians and dancer, etc. He was saying how he felt completely humbled at the sheer talent and hard work of the people performing with him, and that the least he could do was try to make his own music better and acknowledge that he's influenced by people more talented than him. So yeah, when he then later on goes to say something like "he is a god" he's completely aware of the effect and reaction it will entice.

He's arguably the first truly postmodern pop star. My pet theory is that he's someone who wants to have the lasting fame and legacy of timeless pop stars: Elvis, The Beatles, MJ, etc. but he's also aware that it's an impossible goal in this day and age. The boundaries of pop music have been already pushed. The state of social media makes it impossible to be such a tremendous celebrity presence of those in the past. So all of these antics and pompous efforts will make up for the fact that his music alone can't make him a legend. You don't have to like him at all, that's perfectly fine. But he's not a threat or cultural detriment in anyway. It take a lot more effort to root against him than simply ignore him. The latter option is quite easy.

Also, if you're someone who isn't remotely excited and thrilled to see someone live, let alone spend 5 minutes to research what their live performances are like, and yet still go to a show to boo someone, then go fuck yourself. You're an asshole and you don't give a shit about music. And that fact still doesn't change if Kanye is the musician in question.

Quite shit. =)

Well, yeah, if a pop song is 'well produced', it's fair to say it has artistic merit as music.

And, if you listen to Yeezus, 808's and MBDTF (and a lot of his older stuff) you'd know it's unfair to draw the comparison between him and most top 40 stuff. He's got a great ear for melody and hooks, knows how to put together a cohesive album, shows a bit of wit with his lyricism and can capture an emotion, be it joy, paranoia, guilt, jealousy etc. with his sonic choices.

Sorry,

"

Writer Kanye West, Justin Franks, Khloe Mitchell, Mike Dean, John Stephens, Richard James

Producer

Kanye West, DJ Frank E, Mike Dean

"

Kanye isn't even the artist for his albums (above pulled from wiki for blame game).

How can you claim for him to have artistic merit when he has an entire team of writers, producers, and engineers making the shit for him at a big name studio?

It's not like he made all the beats and wrote all the lyrics himself. Anyone with enough money to spend can say "make this sound. It doesn't sound good enough. Make it sound better. There we go, that has production quality. *writes cheque*".

knowhaimsayin'?

flol i just noticed someone put richard james as a writer in the wiki article

on further inspection:

"

"

And it links to Rdjs wiki page

If you're saying Kanye West isn't talented because of the long list of production credits, then you're saying film directors aren't talented either.

Guest bleepsnbloops

Kanye isn't even the artist for his albums (above pulled from wiki for blame game).

How can you claim for him to have artistic merit when he has an entire team of writers, producers, and engineers making the shit for him at a big name studio?

It's not like he made all the beats and wrote all the lyrics himself. Anyone with enough money to spend can say "make this sound. It doesn't sound good enough. Make it sound better. There we go, that has production quality. *writes cheque*".

knowhaimsayin'?

Your kidding, right?

He writes and produces pretty much all of his music. Not always on his own but so what, props to him for being open enough to enlist others (and get the most out of them in the process) to aid the creative process. He's a great talent spotter too, frequently ahead of the curve with his collab choices.

I've got know idea what actually goes on at the studio but I'm pretty sure he's there from beginning to end and slaves over every track. He's far from being the manufactured pop star you're making him out to be.

If you're saying Kanye West isn't talented because of the long list of production credits, then you're saying film directors aren't talented either.

And?

Music and hollywood films are so ridiculously apart it's not even funny. If you're comparing the millions of dollars spent on CGI and other production methods to the artistry and individual creativity of music then I don't know what to think....

knowhaimsayin'?

Your kidding, right?

He writes and produces pretty much all of his music. Not always on his own but so what, props to him for being open enough to enlist others (and get the most out of them in the process) to aid the creative process. He's a great talent spotter too, frequently ahead of the curve with his collab choices.

I've got know idea what actually goes on at the studio but I'm pretty sure he's there from beginning to end and slaves over every track. He's far from being the manufactured pop star you're making him out to be.

Disagree. I can tell he's manufactured from the auto-tuning and constant projection of his persona he makes and the self marketing he does.

The industry itself IS the manufacturer. It churns out artists like this decade after decade.

My guess is he knows a couple guys that have tastes beyond pop/bling-bling rap and they suggested he go with a different approach, and helped him out along the (talking about Yeezus). Highly doubt he thought up all that himself.

Guest bleepsnbloops

Disagree. I can tell he's manufactured from the auto-tuning

lel, you almost had me there for a second.

My guess is he knows a couple guys that have tastes beyond pop/bling-bling rap and they suggested he go with a different approach, and helped him out along the (talking about Yeezus). Highly doubt he thought up all that himself.

Pretty much, yeah.

Quite shit. =)

Sorry,

"

Writer Kanye West, Justin Franks, Khloe Mitchell, Mike Dean, John Stephens, Richard James

Producer

Kanye West, DJ Frank E, Mike Dean

"

knowhaimsayin'?

flol i just noticed someone put richard james as a writer in the wiki article

on further inspection:

"

"

And it links to Rdjs wiki page

He samples avril 14th for one...

Pretty much, yeah.

You guys need to listen to more hip hop

I dunno, as a producer he's pretty solid. I have gripes over sampling- mostly because I don't have the patience to crate-dig. But he was taught how to produce by some very good hip-hop producers and obviously knows how to market himself.

Nobody gets this far in pop music without some sense of being an actor on a stage, generating wealth in a horrible industry takes some form of smarts, to think he has nothing to do with his music or projected image is exactly what he wants to be immersed in. Call me crazy, but that is the definition of an entertainer at its root.

Some of his tunes are awesome, some suck, it's directed towards what garners attention. Got yours even if you don't like it, so it seems to be working, eh?

Archived