IGNORED

How Does WATMM Feel About CWLP Piracy/Streaming?

purplegoat

LOL took some time to try to make a well written post, realized I'd just get flamed to the ground. Here are my thoughts:

On one hand, piracy can't detract from future sales, it's nice when information is free. On the other, I feel a gentleman's agreement has been breached and since I regard Richard, Joyrex, etc. highly, I feel it's kind of uncool.

How does everyone else feel about it? Please note if you are giving an opinion and did not donate.

Also does anyone feel like we should witch hunt it?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bunch of bullshit. Why/how can anyone that didn't pay for this release think they're entitled to hear it?

You can't go to a restaurant and tickle your sense of taste for free, why the eardrums?

I donated btw.

The music landscape has changed exponentially since the 1990s. It would be foolish not to expect this to happen, even more foolish to expect things to still work the way they did 20 years ago, and the absolute height of foolishness to complain about it to begin with, as it does good rather than harm.

I donated btw.

Sounds about right.

i think someone else here made a fantastic point, how fucked up is it that Kim.com Mega got hit so hard for copyright infringement when thousands of indepedent musicians are having their copyright violated on youtube? Has youtube or Google ever been raided for hosting copyright infringing material? Also the idea that it's 'ok' to put copyrighted music on youtube has even influenced the rules on this form, mediafire links or torrent links are totally not allowed but yet for some reason youtube links to copyrighted music are totally acceptable.

There is something strange and unethical about a really powerful corporation being able to get away with the same copyright infringement that other smaller providers get chastised for

I still think it's ridiculous for people to think they can steal/hijack something that stimulates a sense....

Stealing music? Piracy... sense of hearing

Stealing the sense of touch? Rape

Stealing the sense of taste? Theft from a restaurant lol

Stealing the sense of sight? Ever sneak into a movie theatre?

Can you steal the sense of smell? Dunno... =/ lol

The music landscape has changed exponentially since the 1990s. It would be foolish not to expect this to happen, even more foolish to expect things to still work the way they did 20 years ago, and the absolute height of foolishness to complain about it to begin with, as it does good rather than harm.

well on one hand when it comes to only just copyrighted music leaking on the internet, you are right it would be naive to expect otherwise. I think this brings up a more complex issue, where websites like Pitchfork, Fact, etc would NEVER post to an illegal torrent file or mediafire link or even a bootleg posted on soundcloud or mixlr, but for some reason if it's on youtube and youtube hasn't pulled it, it's fuckin fair game. That's just weird to me.

I'm not advocating that youtube have harsher copyright restrictions across the board, but the fact that people view copyrighted material on youtube *differently* than copyrighted material on piratebay or other places is just really fucking strange. Can someone explain to me the psychology behind that?

..rape? ;)

and KyonPalm, I knew it was going to happen. I guess the question I'd like to pose in this thread is, Do we care as a community enough to agree to do something about it? If we flag the stuff on Youtube I think they'll take it down, if we report it on warez sites it'll be taken down as well.

I personally lean toward witch hunting it until the buzz dies down so anyone who is pirating is more likely coming to it naturally (e.g. new listeners, etc. people outside of the hype)

It doesn't bother me that someone would pirate this release, but it would bother me if they had been privy to the agreement, decided not to donate, and still had their listen..

lol at people being angry over that when like john said us super small artists get ripped off left right and center and no one gives two shits about that

its not like it matters. they just made 70 thousand dollars. and are going to make more money considering how many people will buy this limited edition fancy CD-R.

I still think it's ridiculous for people to think they can steal/hijack something that stimulates a sense....

dude we both pirated the steinvord ep

asserting ownership is a threat, you are saying you will fight to defend the thing, be it through the legal system or appeal to authorities or what-have-you.

"property is impossible." -robert anton wilson

society can implement threats or it can encourage the natural morality inherent in the human mind, the self-evident knowledge that someone is that other person.

its not like it matters. they just made 70 thousand dollars. and are going to make more money considering how many people will buy this limited edition fancy CD-R.

^ bingo. Also, ppl need to realize that whether you like it or not, piracy has and will always exist, it's just one of the many ways entropy in the system manifests itself. To fight it is just as futile as declaring war on terrorism or drugs. Don't copy that floopy. You wouldn't download a car, right?

Slightly on-topic but this recent onion article generated a hearty lol:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/shocking-game-of-thrones-finale-concludes-with-arr,36286/

There is something strange and unethical about a really powerful corporation being able to get away with the same copyright infringement that other smaller providers get chastised for

Yeah I hear you on that. I think it just re-affirms that the people still making ungodly money off music and entertainment: the PR groups, ad agencies, the "lucky" well-connected indie labels, all the major websites and their parent corporations/investment firms, etc. have nothing to lose.

Like pfork and others are linking to these uploaded videos to revolt.tv - which is a media platform owned by P. Diddy and Comcast. I know youtube and google will take down copyright media upon request but that can take a lot of work on behalf of the author. They're enabled by a lot of lazy, loud users online: I hate to say this but a lot of people simply feel "entitled" to free music.

That said, this album already made a lot of money so it's not the ideal example.

dude we both pirated the steinvord ep

What? I own TWO of the vinyl because I ordered one when I was drunk lol

I'll post a pic if you bet me $50

I think this brings up a more complex issue, where websites like Pitchfork, Fact, etc would NEVER post to an illegal torrent file or mediafire link or even a bootleg posted on soundcloud or mixlr, but for some reason if it's on youtube and youtube hasn't pulled it, it's fuckin fair game. That's just weird to me.

The double-standard concerning that does amuse me.

and KyonPalm, I knew it was going to happen. I guess the question I'd like to pose in this thread is, Do we care as a community enough to agree to do something about it? If we flag the stuff on Youtube I think they'll take it down, if we report it on warez sites it'll be taken down as well.

Care about what, though? There's no point in reporting anything. People will be able to hear this album if they want to. It's as simple as that, and there's no use fighting it (not to suggest that it's even a bad thing to begin with).

My tracks are uploaded on youtube by 3rd parties without permission and I think it is good and cool, all.

We should all hope our work is so well appreciated, rather than whine like babies about people enjoying it.

^ bingo. Also, ppl need to realize that whether you like it or not, piracy has and will always exist, it's just one of the many ways entropy in the system manifests itself. To fight it is just as futile as declaring war on terrorism or drugs. Don't copy that floopy. You wouldn't download a car, right?

+1 floopy

Archived