IGNORED

How Does WATMM Feel About CWLP Piracy/Streaming?

purplegoat

i pirate alot of music, i also buy alot of music, honestly i dont give a fuck. the artists i love get my money. stepheng seems pretty irate about piracy at the same time as having mentioned making a shitload of money, what would you do if you were skint stephen. only listen to one new tune a week? i dont think you would. i think you would adapt to your financial situation, enjoy everything you do, but ensure you make an effort to pay for the music you adore.

bggrit prawn and shrimp

yeah long story short, i spend between 20-100 pounds in any given week on tunes, so if you think im a dick for downloading stuff aswell then you can bite my tiny banger.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not advocating that youtube have harsher copyright restrictions across the board, but the fact that people view copyrighted material on youtube *differently* than copyrighted material on piratebay or other places is just really fucking strange. Can someone explain to me the psychology behind that?

Watching/listening to copyrighted material on YouTube isn't really 'owning' it. You don't possess it, you can't put it on your iPod (without recording, clipping files, etc.). Torrents are specifically designed to take a copy of a file and possess it forever.

I can go download the new VHS Head from Bleep or I can go torrent it. I end up with the EXACT same file. It's mine to listen to on my computer or any other compatible device forever. If I were to listen to the album stream on a YouTube playlist, I have to be on the internet, on YouTube's site, and hunt and search for it. All this time Google is tracking my interest, as well as selling me advertising: it's essentially a radio station that I have some better control over. Radio stations sell advertising, Google sells advertising. PirateBay sells advertising as well, but I don't have to go back to it 20 times if I want to hear Camera Eyes (or I don't have to go at all if I have a standalone torrent program).

Now I'm not arguing that what YouTube does is right, or that stealing music on PirateBay is right, or anything in the world: I am not arguing that at all. Just giving the psychology behind things, like John asked.

All that being said: if something cannot ever be profited from again (as is the case with the CW release we have here...), is it really harmful to freely distribute it? There's probably some precedents with things like photography and art, especially online: I can go download photos of Beyonce that some paparazzi had to struggle to get and sold for a thousand bucks, take those photos and keep them or make a meme of them or whatever, and I doubt the cops would care if I had them stored on my hard drive. But if I tried to sell them to a tabloid, it wouldn't really work anymore: the photos are already taken and have had their 'exclusivity moment' and they're basically free reign for most uses from there on, UNLESS they're being re-sold. (This is an example showing my limited knowledge of shit, just go with it or ignore it.)

But I think this CW record probably falls into that gray area of 'well, it's out and done and was exclusive to those that purchased it but now it can't ever be profited from again as far as just the files existing so oh well' category. Yes, that's a pretty specific category. In my mind, the funders of the CW digital Kickstarter SUPERFUNPACKAGE basically just paid for that exclusivity, knowing that they'd be the first to hear it, and the funds would go to the creators and the charities chosen. They didn't really pay for music: they paid for exclusive first-timer access to music. And no I'm not entirely serious and saying I'm right, but that's sort of how I think about it all. Here's Beyonce:

7a6a77bd8fbf729b5b4e2095bb466a60.jpg

I still think it's ridiculous for people to think they can steal/hijack something that stimulates a sense....

Stealing music? Piracy... sense of hearing

Stealing the sense of touch? Rape

Stealing the sense of taste? Theft from a restaurant lol

Stealing the sense of sight? Ever sneak into a movie theatre?

Can you steal the sense of smell? Dunno... =/ lol

dude we both pirated the steinvord ep

What? I own TWO of the vinyl because I ordered one when I was drunk lol

I'll post a pic if you bet me $50

i did pirate it cause i don't have money 2 start with kvlt vinyl and buying a record player, i already spend a friggin boat on music.

just put it up for digital download for a few bucks FFS ( * coki, steinvord i'm sorry *)

about the CWLP illegal download:

lot's of people missed out or just haven't heard of it yet or don't have visa/paypal, you really want them 2 not hear this music?

everyone has the money + everyone has the music = everyone happy

if you disagree you are christ stabber

I still think it's ridiculous for people to think they can steal/hijack something that stimulates a sense....

Stealing music? Piracy... sense of hearing

Stealing the sense of touch? Rape

Stealing the sense of taste? Theft from a restaurant lol

Stealing the sense of sight? Ever sneak into a movie theatre?

Can you steal the sense of smell? Dunno... =/ lol

dude we both pirated the steinvord ep

What? I own TWO of the vinyl because I ordered one when I was drunk lol

I'll post a pic if you bet me $50

i did pirate it cause i don't have money 2 start with kvlt vinyl and buying a record player, i already spend a friggin boat on music.

just put it up for digital download for a few bucks FFS ( * coki, steinvord i'm sorry *)

about the CWLP illegal download:

lot's of people missed out or just haven't heard of it yet or don't have visa/paypal, you really want them 2 not hear this music?

everyone has the money + everyone has the music = everyone happy

if you disagree you are christ stabber

or even a christ nobber

i pirate alot of music, i also buy alot of music, honestly i dont give a fuck. the artists i love get my money. stepheng seems pretty irate about piracy at the same time as having mentioned making a shitload of money, what would you do if you were skint stephen. only listen to one new tune a week? i dont think you would. i think you would adapt to your financial situation, enjoy everything you do, but ensure you make an effort to pay for the music you adore.

bggrit prawn and shrimp

yeah long story short, i spend between 20-100 pounds in any given week on tunes, so if you think im a dick for downloading stuff aswell then you can bite my tiny banger.

fuck yeah, i'd buy you a beer for writing that

i believe if people really like and support something they will gladly pay for it cause most people aren't thieves.

the nihilists don't want us 2 stream or pirate cause it will stop us from buying the crap they wanna shove up our asses

*drinks*

Well, not linked to the current CW streaming situation but honestly: when I see some labels selling stuff without any preview, I happily wait for a rip rather than buying music blindly. Sorry, too bad experience with that, as I had to sell stuff even after being misleaded by descriptions, hype schemes, etc etc etc.

If I like what I hear, I usually get even the copy physically and even (!) buy a legit download.

I guess I support the artist on the whole range with that and I second what Messiaen and Ivan wrote before me.

The whole exclusive to some circle-bubble doesn't work in this time. If you really want to be sure, make an release on some ancient format preventing ripping and spreading. With digital files, the whole affair looks entirely different.

Guest Retrig

Retyped an essay 4 times. Deleted it.

Getting butt hurt over Youtube videos is absurd. Absolutely ridiculous.

Richard and Grant got more than Rephlex would have made were it a proper release at the time. Guaranteed. There is no money lost regardless of how much piracy happens. Zero.
Personally, I paid $16 knowing that it was paying for it to escape into the wild for all. I'm cool with that. Anyone who thought otherwise needs an introduction to the internet.
Yes, I'm buying the lush as fuck unofficial packaging too.

What exactly is the argument here? Where is anyone losing? Is it because you really thought you'd be one of the elite that would get to hear it?

Guest Retrig

Disclaimer: Anyone that knows me (several of you now) know that I buy all my music. I buy everything that is still purchasable. Always.
This is not still purchasable. I'd download the hell out of it too if it were an out of print release.
Beyond that, I couldn't even download the .flac version after downloading my legitimate 320 mp3 because I navigated away from the page.
Thank goodness for pirate sites to grab the flacs.

I really dont get this, especially considering this "release", label and Richard (hopefully joyrex) has made money on an album they havent released and will not release. I would have paid 30 bucks if they had said it would be public domain/archived online after all was done for everyone to enjoy.

Those who think its awful that people can hear the music, wouldnt you have paid if you would have known it would be free for all after release or what?

Guest decon

Disclaimer: Anyone that knows me (several of you now) know that I buy all my music. I buy everything that is still purchasable. Always.

This is not still purchasable. I'd download the hell out of it too if it were an out of print release.

Beyond that, I couldn't even download the .flac version after downloading my legitimate 320 mp3 because I navigated away from the page.

Great point Retrig - payed for the product, but the online community do a better job of distribution. I actually don't understand why we're only allowed to use the dwonload link once. Measure so that I don't share the link with my friends? :S Totally agree that that piracy is an overrated issue.

I payed and I love it.

Hope all you pirates likes the release. Cheers.

I'm not really bothered. I think all parties have done well out of this and now this brilliant record can be heard by the world. It's a big Aphex love fest!

I will repeat this.

If it wasn't for sites like YouTube and p2p networks I would have never found out about this forum or this kind of music.

It's sad but it is like it is.

Well, not linked to the current CW streaming situation but honestly: when I see some labels selling stuff without any preview, I happily wait for a rip rather than buying music blindly. Sorry, too bad experience with that, as I had to sell stuff even after being misleaded by descriptions, hype schemes, etc etc etc.

If I like what I hear, I usually get even the copy physically and even (!) buy a legit download.

I guess I support the artist on the whole range with that and I second what Messiaen and Ivan wrote before me.

The whole exclusive to some circle-bubble doesn't work in this time. If you really want to be sure, make an release on some ancient format preventing ripping and spreading. With digital files, the whole affair looks entirely different.

:cisfor:

I will repeat this.

If it wasn't for sites like YouTube and p2p networks I would have never found out about this forum or this kind of music.

It's sad but it is like it is.

It's not sad bro. Cheer up 8-)

I have also 2 Steinvord just to keep a copy aside. This vinyl, I listen to it a lot. I like very much this EP. On the other hand for the download, because it doesn't exist in digital, I passed by the illegal download... I can convert my vinyl in digital lossless files, but the sound would be rotten... I have no good accessories for my computer...

Thus yes, often, I say thanks to the sites of illegal downloads. Moreover I go there only rarely: I make it when a takenbrought out album doesn't exist in streaming to listen to it or exist only in vinyl and no in CD version or digital... 'cause i want to be sure to buy it if i like it, otherwise i delete them...

It was obvious this was going to leak the second the download links were sent, before anyone had even had the time to listen to the full album. Regardless of gentlemen's agreements some people love to be that guy who uploaded the new Aphex more than they love being the gentleman. That's just the way things are.

It does make me smile rather wrily to see those who are listening for free complain that they could have made a better rip and that it's clipping everywhere etcetera. Maybe they should put their money where their mouth is, buy the records and get their better rip. I'd download it, lol.

The title of this thread is pretty silly... "How does WATMM feel about CWLP piracy?" implies that you would feel different about piracy if it were any other album being pirated, doesn't it?

Not really. It arguably suggests it but doesn't imply it.

The title of this thread is pretty silly... "How does WATMM feel about CWLP piracy?" implies that you would feel different about piracy if it were any other album being pirated, doesn't it?

Not really. It arguably suggests it but doesn't imply it.

This is correct. Semantics aren't my thing

The title of this thread is pretty silly...

I'd go further and say this whole test pressing bonanza is very silly. In fact I just said that.

Archived