IGNORED

How Does WATMM Feel About CWLP Piracy/Streaming?

purplegoat

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kids these days don't know they're born!

In my early teens I had to work my ass off to buy cd's. 2nd hand ones were like £5 - £10 and new ones especially imports could be up to £25!

I went to record shops and listened to stuff there.

I think these days everyone is spoilt and feel they have the right to download, if we couldn't afford it we would save up. Yes we copied tapes and shit but only till we could own it ourselves.

Streaming is the new radio and radios should pay royalties. End of...

I think in this day and age where music is relatively cheap and easier than ever to acquire, there really shouldn't be any reason for someone to pirate something (and not end up paying for it) - the problem is getting folks to understand than if they don't buy music and support artists they claim they like, they are taking the incentive away for artists to release music and try to make a living off it.

That being said, it's inevitable people will pirate something, and the best one can hope for is enough people legitimately buy something despite it's availability via piracy.

What if you're like my friend and so broke that he lives with his mom in a church basement it's about the size of one bedroom.

I guess he doesn't deserve to listen to anything because he wont be able to pay for nearly all of it.

I think in this day and age you should give up fighting for something like this and just deal with it. The people who will pay and can pay will and the ones who don't want to or can't wont.

here is a smile :>

Why does he live in such an abode with no money?

Honest question.

Is he disabled, a war vet, or something else that would render him unable to contribute to society at a level that he might have an extra 20-40$ monthly to spend on music?

If so, he has an excuse for not paying for music.

Edit: before you get the wrong impression, I'm the first person to help people in need whether that's with money/labour/a person to talk to etc (I think at least a few watmmers would attest to that...). I'm just struggling with this concept that some people should pay for stuff they consume and other people shouldn't....

He's 16. He listens to shit who're already wealthy enough though so it doesn't really matter.

Point is, nothing. Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Nothing matters.

Nothing is real - The Flashbulb - What an album I tell ya

I have absolutely no problem with people pirating CWLP, I knew it would leak the second it was released but chose to support the kickstarter anyway. I have pirated in the past and I still do to check stuff out, it's a way to find new artists and I don't feel too bad about doing it. People pirating an album are most likely not die-hard fans or they don't have any money... There are of course albums begging to be pirated, like AB5 and MFM which people pirate because they have no other choice.

I think this kickstarter is an exellent example of how pirating can both kill and resuscitate an album, if everyone had thought 'nah fuck it, I'll just download the torrent' CWLP would never have been released. That didn't happen and should be a heads up to Richard on how bad people want a new release from him!

I don't think I will pay for another kickstarter on AB5 or MFM, because the rips are already out there in excellent quality, but I definately would pay for other unreleased albums or psysical copies of AB5 and MFM. I do think it's kinda stupid that Pritchard is so reluctant to release his music. It is his music and he is entitled to do whatever he likes with it but when it makes a lot of people happy and he can make a $ on it, what is his problem???

If it weren't for piracy I woulndt even heard of 70% of the artists I love and support (whenever I can)

Yeah.

I will even go as far as to argue that this kickstarter would not have been possible without piracy and or sites like YouTube.

As in: many of the people who contributed have found out about aphex via piracy in the first place.

I think in this day and age where music is relatively cheap and easier than ever to acquire, there really shouldn't be any reason for someone to pirate something (and not end up paying for it) - the problem is getting folks to understand than if they don't buy music and support artists they claim they like, they are taking the incentive away for artists to release music and try to make a living off it.

That being said, it's inevitable people will pirate something, and the best one can hope for is enough people legitimately buy something despite it's availability via piracy.

What if you're like my friend and so broke that he lives with his mom in a church basement it's about the size of one bedroom.

I guess he doesn't deserve to listen to anything because he wont be able to pay for nearly all of it.

I think in this day and age you should give up fighting for something like this and just deal with it. The people who will pay and can pay will and the ones who don't want to or can't wont.

here is a smile :>

Why does he live in such an abode with no money?

Honest question.

Is he disabled, a war vet, or something else that would render him unable to contribute to society at a level that he might have an extra 20-40$ monthly to spend on music?

If so, he has an excuse for not paying for music.

Edit: before you get the wrong impression, I'm the first person to help people in need whether that's with money/labour/a person to talk to etc (I think at least a few watmmers would attest to that...). I'm just struggling with this concept that some people should pay for stuff they consume and other people shouldn't....

He's 16. He listens to shit who're already wealthy enough though so it doesn't really matter.

Point is, nothing. Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Nothing matters.

Nothing is real - The Flashbulb - What an album I tell ya

That clears that up lol.

Nothing to see here "folks".

Guest beringelab

lol

1 CD = 20% of basic salary in my country

US$ 15 CD + 15 shipping = US$ 30 + 6,37% = US$ 31,91 + 60% = US$ 51,05 + 18% ICMS = US$ 60,23

lol

US$ 15 CD + 15 shipping = US$ 30 + 6,37% = US$ 31,91 + 60% = US$ 51,05 + 18% ICMS = US$ 60,23

Well then move to a country where you get a salary where you can afford that which you consume. Life choices. Especially when we are talking about entertainment/things in excess of life necessities.

Also why are you adding random percentages?

Also maybe if the people weren't so busy entertaining themselves with things they can't afford to begin with, instead they would be doing some value added activity/productive work that is worth money so that they can afford entertainment. lol

lol

Well then move to a country where you get a salary where you can afford that which you consume. Life choices. Especially when we are talking about entertainment/things in excess of life necessities.

I think those "random percentages" are the customs fees and local/government taxes they probably pay when purchasing something from the States.

lol

I think those "random percentages" are the customs fees and local/government taxes they probably pay when purchasing something from the States.

Ah that makes sense!

:happy:

I think these days everyone is spoilt and feel they have the right to download, if we couldn't afford it we would save up. Yes we copied tapes and shit but only till we could own it ourselves.

"I think back in those days everyone was spoiled and felt they had the right to copy tapes. Yes we download rips and shit but only 'til we can own it ourselves."

It's the same goddamn thing.

It is his music and he is entitled to do whatever he likes with it but when it makes a lot of people happy and he can make a $ on it, what is his problem???

That's what confuses me the most about this. If I'm not mistaken, he's said before that he only releases music to make money off it, and if that wasn't happening, he wouldn't do it. So why, then, when his music is so clearly extraordinarily profitable, does he refuse to release any of it?

If it weren't for piracy I woulndt even heard of 70% of the artists I love and support (whenever I can)

I'm in the same boat, which is exactly why I laugh in every anti-free-digital-media proponent's face every time they claim I'm hurting the "industry".

Archived