IGNORED

Phone Pranks

Schlitze

This is all the more hilarious when we see it was Richard playing Scanner at his own game with the 1994 phone tech.

What equipment were you using? Was it readily available at that point? Was it the same gear as the NOTW were using in the early days of mobile tech?

RR: To begin with I was using a Four Track Fostex tape deck that allowed me to mix up to four layers of sound together as well as the radio scanner and a few other simple EFX units. I still remember Richard James/AFX remarking on the use of a particular echo unit at the same I was using and us nerdishly chatting about the possible settings for this! It was very basic. Then he went out and bought a radio scanner and used it on several recordings, including a sadly unreleased phone prank he played on me and Mixmaster Morris at the time. The scanner was readily available at all hi-fi shops on the high streets, they were being sold to listen to pilots at airports. Remember at this time, that's the early 1990s, that these conversations were overheard on the analogue network as all mobile networks still used those for these rather insecure transmissions. The radio scanner was merely a rather more sophisticated radio receiver that offered a wider spectrum of possibilities. Today it is a digital network and far more secure, and indeed the News Of The World were not exactly doing anything clever, merely dialing in the phone numbers of public figures and guessing at their security codes to collect their voicemail. They couldn't, as I was doing at the time, listen in to complete conversations between two people. Their access has been a very one-sided, one-dimensional invasion into privacy.

excellent. me and my mate were discussing this earlier. great find :)

we were trying to work out, even with 2 phones how to record both at the same time but this makes much more sense than my idea that he had a mic in the middle of both receivers. see another example where analogue is fun to play with

Archived