IGNORED

Anyone here ever thought about an online streaming WATMM Radio?

as there is a few watmm releases etc and alot of people producing tunes. has it ever been discussed the possibility of a watmm radio applet?

perhaps the bandwidth would be too high/expensive ?

just a thought.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has crossed my mind before but nothing concrete, I really like the idea you're describing! I'd like to hear more music of the members here without having to click hundreds of threads.

If you look at how Radio Free Robotron ( http://www.radiofreerobotron.net/ ) has been set up (the way it streams soundcloud links etc.) it should be a realistic idea?

yeah definatly, firstly i was thinking from a watmm perspective for promoting the bandcamp release and then the other chatmm releases. havnig like a applet that could be turned on or off from say the main window like the chat. bur yeah pushing that forward to perhaps the watmm soundcloud stream too. actually perhaps the soundcloud thing might bypass the bandwidth issues? if it was embedded?

this idea was being kicked around by a few of us in chatmm maybe like almost a year ago. i think there was at least one thread about it. i think someone mentioned something about it to joyrex. besides having tracks playing, there were ideas like that there could be 'radio shows', of various sorts, where members could produce the show or it could be done live i guess (probably at first at least itd have to be pre-recorded so it could be edited and so thered be an element of quality control, etc).

but yeah i think it'd be really cool if there could be actual voices on the thing, provided by some hopefully talented at talking type watmmrs. either like how djs on radio talk between songs, or like i said, for actual 'shows' that could air every so often. that's the thing that'd make me tune in for sure. i mean i CAN go to soundcloud and hear faceless electronic tracks all day.... but theres no crazy wannabee radio djs making asses out of themselves for my entertainment at soundcloud...

you could have people talking about new releases, giving opposing opinions/reviews on them, and typical stuff like that too.

sure itd be riskier than just having tracks (risk of embarrassment), but imo it could also have a potential payoff in terms of making this place a more important hub of electronic music activity, if it caught on.

Yeah nice one MisterE i thought of this too but didnt want to start off too ambitious. there is a wealth of possibilities really depending on how i guess the bods would want it to go.. like the idea of reviews n stuff that would make it more interesting for sure :)

The only issue though with the ideas of this is that its leaning towards having to be hosted within watmm or similar rather than soundlcoud or an external playback embedded player kind of thing. if it could be say a dedicated sc channel that could just randomly play from a playlist and be updated frequently i think that wouldnt impact on any bandwitch traffic here which i can only guess would be joyrex's main issue. thinking about it as im typing this there is of course places like mixlr that would cater more for the voice over mixes kinda approach and perhaps anyone interested could share a joint log in to broadcast!>! i dunno just thoughts i may be completely wrong anyway im only half technical :)

there are tons of things that could go on there. like how limpyloo does his threads with tips for music, that could be a little weekly or whatever segment of maybe 10 or 20 minutes. or there could be shows talking about max patches or other more nerdy type stuff, with people who are into that side of things. fictional shows like the old pre-television radio serials. like little skits with music and sound effects. but yeah this is probably all wayyy too ambitious for a bunch of idm nerdz. i wouldnt try to put MY voice on there :emb:

We already have a few people on here that host shows (Macca for example) on radiostations like Intergalactic FM, possibilities are there. I agree that if this is a plausible idea it's better to start it a bit basic first? Soundcloud streams + watmm tracks from the database (watmm/chatmm comps), some classic tracks from the featured artists and the occasional show. And as for voices, computer voices (preferably those of Cylob) are way more braindance certified of course :)

I wonder if there are people here who could set up a system like this?

it wouldnt be hard really for that (soundcloud stream) you'd just need to set up the account, make a playlist, moderate it etc) then a techie here to embed it (as i dont think currently it allows to embed the html5 player) this way too its not live and so wouldnt need a realtime moderator - in case anyone decided to throw a random or whatever

yeah i agree herr, itd have to be more basic for a while anyway. mostly just tracks, and any kind of show material only on occasion. itd take a lot of effort just to set the basic thing up, surely. a really good computer voice would be pretty cool too maybe

Another possibilty would be a WATMM Soundcloud with a weekly one-hour mix made by whoever'a up for it that week. And then embed it on the front page or something, just to see if the interest is there.

Just an idea. The others in here are good too.

there was a WATMM streaming channel (a shoutcast server or something?) at some point, admittedly probably around 10 years ago, but it was open to anyone to connect to and broadcast. I remember doing a few sets; one being a live minimal techno set and the other being 'shadows' themed songs (bands or songs with the word 'shadows' in the title).

there was a WATMM streaming channel (a shoutcast server or something?) at some point, admittedly probably around 10 years ago, but it was open to anyone to connect to and broadcast. I remember doing a few sets; one being a live minimal techno set and the other being 'shadows' themed songs (bands or songs with the word 'shadows' in the title).

This for vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJIVrEg-6YI

Used by Aphex and the 'techre

oh man i'd forgotten about this. just installed it. now im gonna be typing in silly words all day :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27366693/wattmradio.mp3

if anyone else wants the atari emulator, grab it from here http://www.zophar.net/atarist/winston.html get the bottom link (v5) plus youll need the speech prog from the youtube vid th555 added above :)

We discussed podcast not long time ago and Joyrex has approved it.

I'm personally not into internet radio, but periodic podcast where someone chosen for an episode prepares what he wants (DJ set, own & watmmers music presentation, talk show etc) is a good place to start long coming expansion of the site for me.

Here's a good example of this activity

http://rwm.macba.cat/

Fuck, now Joyrex can even invite Ae & AFX and others into it if it goes well.

I'm all for it, and shouldn't be a problem bandwidth-wise - I don't have the time to look into the best way technically to do this, so if someone wants to coordinate with me, let's get WATMM Radio going - podcasts, 24/7 music, live DJ sets, interviews, etc. - sky's the limit!

I just need the help in getting it going.

I'm all for it, and shouldn't be a problem bandwidth-wise - I don't have the time to look into the best way technically to do this, so if someone wants to coordinate with me, let's get WATMM Radio going - podcasts, 24/7 music, live DJ sets, interviews, etc. - sky's the limit!

I just need the help in getting it going.

i certainly dont mind helping in whatever way i can

further thoughts.

lets keep this going for a few days to get a few more ideas/input in on what everone would like it to be

from that i'll compile a kind of project plan of what it will be, what we need, what skills are needed etc and go from there yo?

thumbs down for a dead random playlist of the EKT back catalogue. thumbs up for time specific shows, dj's, talking.

as long as there's quality control along the way, we're golden

biggest hurdle is how to pronounce watmm?

If the technical side is a problem, there are always sites like Mixlr which are set-up for realtime broadcasts. But yeah, doing proper 'shows' is definitely preferable - I'm sure there are enough people around here who're willing put together mixes, host shows and such to make it worthwhile. I'd love to contribute.

Archived