Jump to content

is it true Go Plastic by Squarepusher featured no computer wizardry?


PhylumZunami
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, ignatius said:

it's one of the records that stands alone to me. such a specific thing about it. when i want to hear it there's no alternative. 

It's crazy with Squarepusher every time I come back and listen to his music it is kinda fills me with a warm nostalgic feeling. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's nothing as twisted and chaotic yet so coherent as Go Plastic.... fair play to tom for just saying fuckit and mess with time sigs, poppyness, jungle etc in such a way. When there's melodies they're soo good.... nothing is at rest. But these beats! 

when I first heard the Japan live CD i was convinced it was a dark warehouse not a family filled daytime Fuji fest. However, TJ rages hard, the crowd reacts perfectly and its just no holds bar assault on everything

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2021 at 11:44 AM, phudoshin said:

when I first heard the Japan live CD i was convinced it was a dark warehouse not a family filled daytime Fuji fest. However, TJ rages hard, the crowd reacts perfectly and its just no holds bar assault on everything

Oddly enough I pictured exactly the same thing in my mind's eye/ear..... Wasn't until I saw the video a few years later I thought 'hang on - I recognise these shout-outs to the rather muted crowd'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2021 at 1:14 PM, cern said:

Yo what small controller is he using?? 

No computer at all so rad!
 

 

It's a minidisk remote. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2021 at 4:14 AM, cern said:

Yo what small controller is he using?? 

No computer at all so rad!
 

 

him not using a computer live doesnt mean he didnt use a computer to write the album. that being said i have no idea what he used

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

him not using a computer live doesnt mean he didnt use a computer to write the album. that being said i have no idea what he used

akai S6000, Qy sequencer, eventide orvilles, 303/101, bass and maybe yamaha FM synth fs1r or something..  but i think he sampled the shit out of everything and it ended up in the akai then he jammed w/the sequencer and FX.  

talks about it some in this interview. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ignatius said:

akai S6000, Qy sequencer, eventide orvilles, 303/101, bass and maybe yamaha FM synth fs1r or something..  but i think he sampled the shit out of everything and it ended up in the akai then he jammed w/the sequencer and FX.  

talks about it some in this interview. 

 

thanks for the vid, sorry if it was posted before. this thread is quite long. all is clear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

thanks for the vid, sorry if it was posted before. this thread is quite long. all is clear

no worries. it's a good interview and worth a repeat if it was already posted.  shows just how deep tom gets w/his gear. tearing apart eventide algorithms with vsig is tedious stuff... more than most other patching environments. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

A couple of cool 94-95 jungle tracks being paraphrased/quoted in My Fucking Sound and The Modern Bass Guitar.

 

 

Edited by psn
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

its defo in my top5 desert island disks for sheer repeated listenability and non-stop action. Nothing else like it. 

Nearest to its twisted jungle take I could possible compare it to is DJ baleys John Peel set with all its jumpstarts/pitch changes - but thats very tenuous

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.