IGNORED

is it true Go Plastic by Squarepusher featured no computer wizardry?

PhylumZunami

• 6 months later...

Their attention to detail, knowing what they want to do and knowledge of their gear is what makes Squarepusher, Aphex and Autechre still stand out in the world of electronic music. 

Inspiring but depressing. 

its also a product of the 90´s i would say, nowadays no kid would have the patience to sit down take a manual and read it or even try something new.

• Sad 1

Their attention to detail, knowing what they want to do and knowledge of their gear is what makes Squarepusher, Aphex and Autechre still stand out in the world of electronic music. 

Inspiring but depressing. 

its also a product of the 90´s i would say, nowadays no kid would have the patience to sit down take a manual and read it or even try something new.

I'd agree it's a product of the 90's, but not because of attention span. It's a combination of different elements that coincided, which you are probably aware of;

• The popularity of rave culture and experimental electronic music at the time - pre-millenium optimism prevalent in pop culture.
  • A good economy, relatively speaking, with a record industry that paid advances for its artists to live off.
  • Major labels seeking out and nurturing such talent (Virgin hiring U-ziq for example, i think?)
  • Digital audio software and technology taking off at rocket speed - The novelty of working with no defined hardware parameters (yeah yeah I know it was done on hardware, but generally speaking).

So the culture was already there, allowing time and opportunity for these artists to develop and hone this particular style. Even if that meant slumming it for a while on a tiny money advance, there was always a chance that you'd 'succeed' in a sense that you could financially support yourself.

Now that these factors don't apply to 2018, the same personality types that create this music are most probably developing their skills in other areas, simply due to the culture being different. So basically, what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way - Right place, right time!

If this specific culture came about again, there's no doubt in my mind we would get a new generation of artists making similar music on the same technical, detailed level. 

Edited by rev85

If this specific culture came about again, there's no doubt in my mind we would get a new generation of artists making similar music on the same technical, detailed level. 

It's still out there, it's just harder to find because there's so much lame electronic music out there. People like iglooghost imo are the new breed of technical idm superstars, even if they don't brand themselves as such.

It's still out there, it's just harder to find because there's so much lame electronic music out there. People like iglooghost imo are the new breed of technical idm superstars, even if they don't brand themselves as such.

had never heard of iglooghost.. went and listened to soundcloud..  just sounds like something on tigerbeat6 from 15years ago.  not my bag of tea. scattered ghostwave bass music. not terrible but the handful of tracks i listened to didn't really rate or make me think about 'technical IDM superstar". 

ymmv but i think people like grischa lichtenberger are the place to look for 'carrying the torch' or some such sentiment. 

there's probably some 12 yr old kid out there just cutting his/her teeth on live or renoise or something who'll pick up and do something weird and w/a distinct voice. 

there's a few young people who come into work.. in their early 20s.. which in some ways is like talking to an alien for me.. who are doing some interesting shit and have no frame of reference for it really. but they're serious and out to evolve their sound and genuinely trying to grow as musicians. 

there does seem to be a merge of bass music and hip hop and intricate breaks and programming.. those influences along with pop and shoe gaze drone noise seem to be gaining steam.. 

had never heard of iglooghost.. went and listened to soundcloud.. just sounds like something on tigerbeat6 from 15years ago. not my bag of tea. scattered ghostwave bass music. not terrible but the handful of tracks i listened to didn't really rate or make me think about 'technical IDM superstar".

Glad I'm not the only one... this guy gets a lot of love from WATMM and I don't get it
  • Like 1

had never heard of iglooghost.. went and listened to soundcloud.. just sounds like something on tigerbeat6 from 15years ago. not my bag of tea. scattered ghostwave bass music. not terrible but the handful of tracks i listened to didn't really rate or make me think about 'technical IDM superstar".

Glad I'm not the only one... this guy gets a lot of love from WATMM and I don't get it
agree here, very unimpressed

negative. good example of modern maximalism or something, I'm no musicologist so I don't know the terms. But yeah, arrangements are dope and he's to be respected at least a touch as he's like 18y/o or so. Maybe not his choice, but the ear bleeding mastering ruined it for me on his last album.

Personally I think he's someone to watch out for. Hopefully he shoots his mastering engineer in the face though and gets a new one. That's the worst mastering job I've heard, ever. Ever. I'd rather listen to Cher than Iglooghost only because of the mastering, it's that bad. 

He has uber potential though IMO.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

negative. good example of modern maximalism or something, I'm no musicologist so I don't know the terms. But yeah, arrangements are dope and he's to be respected at least a touch as he's like 18y/o or so. Maybe not his choice, but the ear bleeding mastering ruined it for me on his last album.

Personally I think he's someone to watch out for. Hopefully he shoots his mastering engineer in the face though and gets a new one. That's the worst mastering job I've heard, ever. Ever. I'd rather listen to Cher than Iglooghost only because of the mastering, it's that bad. 

He has uber potential though IMO.

i have hopes someone does something interesting before i'm too old to enjoy it. 

I don't know, man, he's got talent for sure but to me it sounds like PC music fucked that neo-hip-hop stuff (Flying Lotus, Hudson Mohawke, Dorian Concept) and the baby was born with pink hair and an iPhone pre-installed with Instagram in its hand. I get what you say about it being IDM with all the tempo change-ups but it just sounds like an even more ADHD variety of EDM to me. If his style evolves I would expect it to bend more in the commercial direction, honestly.

I don't know, man, he's got talent for sure but to me it sounds like PC music fucked that neo-hip-hop stuff 

it just sounds like an even more ADHD variety of EDM to me. 

fairly accurate IMO

He's Squarepusher for the millennials, get with the times guys.

:cerious:

that guy is a good programmer/song writer but i don't really hear a distinct voice there yet.. perhaps in a few years.. i don't know.. seems like a mash of a lot things already done.  shrug.  it's more interesting than some other things i've heard but that's not saying much. 

anyway... it's icky feeling sometimes to be critical.. unless we're talking about flashbulb. 

• 3 years later...

This album Is 20 year old already! This is a gem really!

Drukqs - Go Plastic - Confield is my 3 favorite albums. ?

ALL FROM 2001 

Edited by cern
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cern said:

Go Plastic

it's one of the records that stands alone to me. such a specific thing about it. when i want to hear it there's no alternative. 

• Like 2