IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i still think until the quiet has been his best work but i am also worried this might not follow that path of future jazzy goodness. hope so but with all the colabs and whatever, it doesnt look to promising. cant wait regardless

hmmm, i'm actually kinda worried that i won't like this record.

i definately know i won't like this record just based on the current samples. nothing is standing out for me. the last flying lotus album i bought was los angeles and i actually sold that off just before 'cosmograma' came out because i realized i know longer listened to it.

i don't mind checking out flying lotus, but i've kinda realized, not only was i spending too much time listening to music that was no longer rewarding, but it was also almost a full time chore just keeping up with things getting released, not to mention expensive. i never even listened to 'my love is a bulldozer' despite having it because i didn't consider it worth the time. now it's been long since deleted.

I relate to this so much. I've given up on following my old sources - hell I'm not even on here as often as I want to be checking new stuff. Changing from a office job to one without internet access all day was the nail in the coffin. My excitement over Syro is still sinking in, I haven't been able to pour my fanboyism on here as much as I could of.

On the flipside I've happily dove into underground cassette releases (lo-fi techno, drone, experimental, etc), stuff related to vaporwave, and whatever metal bands my co-worker is into at the moment. It's nice not feeling I'm in some kind of rat race to constantly be informed of every MOR indie band and cookie cutter synth pop single spewing from the feeds of PR robots online.

As with Flylo, I'm going to probably wait until I see him live at FFFest. I kind of feel like listening to it with fresh ears.

Guest murphythecat8

a lot of mediocre shit sounds great on a lot of drugs.

just saying...

and a lot of mediocre shit sounds even more shit on drugs

rarely in my experience. I will normally, stone, find even in shitty music interesting musical bits while sober I would just press stop.

BUT, it never lies. If you think you like a new artist. Listening to him while stone on a hallucinogens will show you right away if you really like him or not. Embarrasssing sometimes when youv been heavily into a certain artist and listened to him quite a bit and realize that finally, you dont really care about him.

I've done a 180 with squarepusher for what it's worth. Incredibly talented guy with some of the worst, corniest musical decisions ever and hes always been like that but it eventually took over completely.

Fly Lo is great though y'all are on crack.

I've done a 180 with squarepusher for what it's worth. Incredibly talented guy with some of the worst, corniest musical decisions ever and hes always been like that but it eventually took over completely.

Wubwubwub are you talking about?

Guest bitroast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du3bWc_I3ag

all I got from this post was a nice little reminder of this squarepusher bonus track on ufab :)

Coronus, The Terminator = woah, what a track! some soulful, hypnotic, spiritual business. Ode to Otis Jackson. This is more of what I would like Lotus' to make.

Positive vibes with the first run through, cohesive, tracks drift in and out of each other with ease like they were woven together. I'm really liking the mid-section of the album and the track I mentioned above seems to be a standout for me so far.

all I got from this post was a nice little reminder of this squarepusher bonus track on ufab :)

Lol I know I still love squarepusher

This record is fucking awesome. I think it works best as an album, even more so than cosmogramma. Upside - awesome for straight through listening, awesome experience.
Downside - not a lot of tracks grab me themselves, little replay value for individual tracks

8.5/10, killer album

This is nice. Pleasantly surprised to hear that the vocals don't over-dominate, in fact it's pretty standard post-LA FlyLo fare in this sense. At 38 min it doesn't overstay its welcome either, although the thundercat meets weather report space jamz over handclaps & DMT are pure cheez I still like them anyway.

Just wished this came out in the spring and not the fall, feels more like a springtime album. S'pose I could just put it in purgatory for 6 months

I've just started listening to it and I like it, but my god now I agree with StephenG. Distortion is fun and all but in the end this mastering just hurts my ears. Very good tracks though!

Archived