IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flying Lotus, aka Steven Ellison, thinks he should've worked on Kanye West's Yeezus, as he tells Newsweek. "I should have been on it," he said. "It was kind of weird that I wasn’t. Just being totally real, not on some ego shit.... I was like, 'They didn’t even call!'"

lol

lol, awesome

Flying Lotus, aka Steven Ellison, thinks he should've worked on Kanye West's Yeezus, as he tells Newsweek. "I should have been on it," he said. "It was kind of weird that I wasn’t. Just being totally real, not on some ego shit.... I was like, 'They didn’t even call!'"

lol

lol, awesome

NarrowQuickHalibut.gif

Guest Gravity

overall i'm really enjoying this, i do wish it wasn't so brickwalled though.

the descentttttttttt. the descennnnntt. into madnesssssssssssssss.

Quite frankly it's fucking weird that more MC's aren't flocking to work with him. Even watered down radio friendly flylo would be a coup de gras with any of the TDE or Pro Era guys. Or anyone.

He didn't even have any beats on the Underachievers albums, and they're ON brainfeeder ffs

Guest Gravity

Quite frankly it's fucking weird that more MC's aren't flocking to work with him. Even watered down radio friendly flylo would be a coup de gras with any of the TDE or Pro Era guys. Or anyone.

He didn't even have any beats on the Underachievers albums, and they're ON brainfeeder ffs

That beat he did for Mac Miller is quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljV3kynnhC8

Also Between Friends with Earl Sweatshirt... love the bit from 2:25. Mmm.

lol

I like his music, but he does seem to have his ego rather inflated lately, he comes across a bit dickish... He's said some other stupid shit elseweere lately too. That said, I would like to see FlyLo produce for other rappers more often, he did a lot of prodction for John Robinson a few years back and it's fucking dope...

I've thought about this a lot and i feel like flying lotus' beats don't leave a lot of room for an MC. They feel complete as instrumentals. Maybe flylo doesn't want words to color the abstract meaning of the songs

I'm finding this muuuuuch better than his last.

some of the thundercat wankery sounds exactly the same like you could just take any of his tracks from any of the albums and swap them around without noticing. that's not a good thing IMO,

but I have given this at least 8 or 9 full listens and it's a big improvement overall. not on the big hype train though and I'd like to see him explore longer tracks. and to tone down the brick wall. doesn't sound very good to my ears.

or maybe rappers want tracks longer than 75 seconds?

:cisfor:

This

and flylo confirmed my theory

The people that are my favorites are ones who have such a respect for what’s already there. They don’t try to approach it thinking they’re going to turn it into a song, but rather going to add to it.

Guest bitroast

nice. thanks.

4 sides of vinyl for that must be annoying as shit.

you have no idea! the first side is ~5 minutes.

for a 40 minute jazz record im surprised they didn't find a way to fit it onto 1 disc..

or maybe rappers want tracks longer than 75 seconds?

:cisfor:

This

and flylo confirmed my theory

The people that are my favorites are ones who have such a respect for whats already there. They dont try to approach it thinking theyre going to turn it into a song, but rather going to add to it.

He could easily tailor some instrumentals for mc's. He's actually done that already. Even BADBADNOTGOOD had at least one on Earl's album and they're an actual live jazz band.

Sorry for being too lazy to check back in the thread but, the 'hidden' track at the end of side four appears to be 'Protector' from the Japanese CD...? I like this album on first listen but I feel a tiny bit ripped off by the boxset. Would've been better as a double vinyl with the regular and instrumental album. On the other hand, the artwork and design is amazing.

Guest bitroast

Sorry for being too lazy to check back in the thread but, the 'hidden' track at the end of side four appears to be 'Protector' from the Japanese CD...? I like this album on first listen but I feel a tiny bit ripped off by the boxset. Would've been better as a double vinyl with the regular and instrumental album. On the other hand, the artwork and design is amazing.

yep, that Protector above is definitely bonus track on the record.

is that really the Japanese bonus track? Japanese bonus track is CD only and that's a vinyl rip...

also, agree that it 's fucking a joke that this is 2xLP.

the whole reason records went from LP to 2xLP was to accommodate for longer albums (ie. CD lengths, or "double albums").

brainfeeder seem content on working albums onto single LPs but warp (and a lot of other record labels) seem to have a weird thing with quality...

It might make a bit more sense if the album was pressed at 45rpm.

And from the preview on iTunes Japan, the final vinyl track does seem to be the same as Protector. Well at least I don't have to rush to buy the Japanese CD then...

Archived