IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast

It might make a bit more sense if the album was pressed at 45rpm.

And from the preview on iTunes Japan, the final vinyl track does seem to be the same as Protector. Well at least I don't have to rush to buy the Japanese CD then...

wow the Japanese bonus track is a hidden track on the record.

it's a really good bonus track.. having a moment of ambience at the end fits in nicely with the theme of the record.

I do generally like my ambient tracks to be longer than 2 minutes though... but... it's still nice:)

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this release. After the original announcement trailer, I tried to avoid hearing any tracks until I got the CD in the mail. It works really well as an album, so I'm glad that I waited. Also, I had no idea that there would be gold-foil embossed trim on the actual physical CDs (not even the luxury version). Very well-done, overall.

I'll admit on vinyl the lamar track is pretty good.

That snoop dog one though is.... well, I don't like it. The b side was completely forgettable for me except for the lamar track.

I'll admit on vinyl the lamar track is pretty good.

That snoop dog one though is.... well, I don't like it. The b side was completely forgettable for me except for the lamar track.

The snoop dog one sounded tongue in cheek. I enjoyed it

We actually stopped it after the 1st track on the C side. This is the first album ever I've not finished when on mushrooms lol.

Some great snippets but from what I've heard I'd probably say 4.5/10.

It's not for me. I am glad some of you are enjoying it though.

Guest bitroast

I cant even imagine how listening to record about death called YOU're DEAD for the first time on shrooms seemed like a good idea. It would probably spin me out for sure. Rating an album a score out of ten complete with decimal without having finished the album is also pretty funny.

I mean, i dont give a shit if you dont like an album or whatever but .., stepheng pls

I cant even imagine how listening to record about death called YOU're DEAD for the first time on shrooms seemed like a good idea. It would probably spin me out for sure. Rating an album a score out of ten complete with decimal without having finished the album is also pretty funny.

I mean, i dont give a shit if you dont like an album or whatever but .., stepheng pls

Lol.

I listen to all big releases inebriated the first time since about 2006. I hear little details that resonate. Also we completely focus on the album when listening, we don't talk or anything. The shrooms are for enhancing the audio, not for getting off our face completely (some people use weed this way).

The album had nothing to do with death. 90% of what I heard just seemed like a bunch of glitter and sparkles, and then 50 seconds later it's a new set of glitter and sparkles with some thundercat thrown in for good measure.

And way too much female vocal samples in there for my liking. Why do we need a female wailing "OoooooOOOOOOooo" every 10 seconds? It was just too.... RnB for me. If I wanted that I'd throw on prefuse73s "only she chapters". Shit they weren't even singing anything just a bunch of female unintelligible noises. Check out Coronus, Siren Song, and Turtles in a row? Just female vocal samples thrown over some glitter and a bass guitar.

Maybe if I listened to the other half it'd somehow magically get a 9/10 but it was just unlistenable (and it wasn't just me, everyone in the room wanted it off, our usual listening group as well, noone to throw off the experience).

Like I said, there were actually a few really good snippets. The lamar track was good and so was Turkey Dog Coma.

Guest bitroast

Lol.

I listen to all big releases inebriated the first time since about 2006. I hear little details that resonate. Also we completely focus on the album when listening, we don't talk or anything. The shrooms are for enhancing the audio, not for getting off our face completely (some people use weed this way).

The album had nothing to do with death. 90% of what I heard just seemed like a bunch of glitter and sparkles ..

Didn't finish reading your post. 4.2/10 leaning on a strong 4.5/10

unoriginal, bland, and shitty

lol

We've heard the same goddamn album, almost, 3 times in a row. Cosmo, UTQC, and You're Dead are almost the exact same methodology/techniques and concept.

Some beats, thundercat spazmodically twitching on the bass, sample black people vocals, fade stuff in and out really fast. Throw in some glittery noises and steal some sax and harp samples from his deceased aunt and uncle.

Bam, flylo album complete.

I'm with Stephen on this one. but I gave it 10 spins. it is the same stuff over and over I'm 1 minute intervals. just not for me.

also agree about the death thing. it's as much about death as the last one was about children's dreams or whatever lol meaning was attached post compilation of random tracks.

Guest bitroast

Yeah. I also agree with Mr. G. But, well, it sounds great anyways,

oh yeah. im not really agreeing or disagreeing so much as i am having a little LOL at giving an album a 4.5 after only getting halfway through the album and listening while on mushrooms.

for a short (40 minute!) album where the songs go for ~1-2minutes and blend into one another, carrying the albums flow and whatnot ,, i think its pretty obvious that this is something thats meant to be listened to and considered as a whole.

maybe the album is totally mediocre, lacks subtlety, doesnt give the songs enough time to flesh out and has an energy that's a bit too spastic to properly follow, but even after 2 listens i thought it was a bit too early to really tell, and i'm enjoying it for the time being anyway so maybe it's good?? who knows?? whatever?? lol ?????

oh yeah. im not really agreeing or disagreeing so much as i am having a little LOL at giving an album a 4.5 after only getting halfway through the album and listening while on mushrooms.

for a short (40 minute!) album where the songs go for ~1-2minutes and blend into one another, carrying the albums flow and whatnot ,, i think its pretty obvious that this is something thats meant to be listened to and considered as a whole.

maybe the album is totally mediocre, lacks subtlety, doesnt give the songs enough time to flesh out and has an energy that's a bit too spastic to properly follow, but even after 2 listens i thought it was a bit too early to really tell, and i'm enjoying it for the time being anyway so maybe it's good?? who knows?? whatever?? lol ?????

You don't know if something sounds bad or you don't like it after your first listen?

Again it's not like I was completely blasted and off my face on shrooms, and I just want to make the distinction between myself and most people: this is a practice I engage in often to enhance audio. I'm almost completely sober (train of thought wise), it just enhances audio for me in the amount I'm taking. Most people use weed for this but weed makes me paranoid/I don't like smoking it.

Same problems with this album as I had with cosmogramma.

Tracks are too short, ideas don't get fleshed out into full tracks.

Vocals annoy me.

Sorry FlyLo. Really want to like this, but as with the Rustie album, this is another Warp turkey.

Must be my age, over the past few years I've developed a preference for short tracks and albums. Much as I love the likes of Autechre, I find lengthy albums full of six or seven minute plus tracks daunting. Back in my day, you were lucky if albums were longer than 45 minutes. You could go out and leave your doors unlocked then and everything.

Must be my age, over the past few years I've developed a preference for short tracks and albums. Much as I love the likes of Autechre, I find lengthy albums full of six or seven minute plus tracks daunting. Back in my day, you were lucky if albums were longer than 45 minutes. You could go out and leave your doors unlocked then and everything.

ace post!

haven't heard album yet btw, still enjoying this thread immensely. based on past experience and personal preferences, i'd give it about

7.4 / 10.

the album, i mean. the new one. you know which.

Guest bitroast

You don't know if something sounds bad or you don't like it after your first listen?

Again it's not like I was completely blasted and off my face on shrooms, and I just want to make the distinction between myself and most people: this is a practice I engage in often to enhance audio. I'm almost completely sober (train of thought wise), it just enhances audio for me in the amount I'm taking. Most people use weed for this but weed makes me paranoid/I don't like smoking it.

Ahhh yeah nverrmind dude:)

The shrooms part isnt an issue for me!

Listening to cosmogramma on acid (not first time, mind) in friends old fashioned living room with fire place going and watching the shadows/light of the fire on the wall dance to the beats was probably my favourite listen to the album tbh (do the astral plane was the dancing fire track).

Yes!!! I did the same thing with cosmo actually (but it was 2CI not lsd) and it was amazing.

I think Nose Art might have been my favorite though.

I didn't get that pleasant of an experience with this album. I will, of course, give it another chance sometime soon. =)

Archived