IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

you're on some Groundhog Day shit

lolol

Anyways yeah I'm not trying to be abrasive or anything, I was just really really disappointed here.

I am truly glad some people are enjoying it. I hope his next album he does something different. I find that he's actually a good producer on his own, I don't think he needs all these cameos. The production on LA and 1983 was great, and I really liked Pattern Grid World.

I'd like to see him do another electronic album with no (or minimal) cameos. Cosmo had a nice balance of electronic vs cameos and vocals though.

tl;dr I know

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest murphythecat8

unoriginal, bland, and shitty

lol

We've heard the same goddamn album, almost, 3 times in a row. Cosmo, UTQC, and You're Dead are almost the exact same methodology/techniques and concept.

Some beats, thundercat spazmodically twitching on the bass, sample black people vocals, fade stuff in and out really fast. Throw in some glittery noises and steal some sax and harp samples from his deceased aunt and uncle.

Bam, flylo album complete.

hey, dont defend your taste. You have the right to find this boring and unoriginal. I totally agree, its just plain bad for me. like terrible. Its a whole bunch of nothingness. He cannot even make a simple and catchy bassline. its always desconstructed music because I doubt he could do a good simple song lol.

about your shrooming and listening to music. how much do you take for this, 1g?

I generally take 1.5g for this.

I don't get any visuals at this dose and my thought processes generally aren't changed at all so I'm able to make actual determinations and judgments on what I'm hearing just as if I was sober. But it really really enhances the audio.

There are some exceptions to this low dose generalization such as new autechre albums.

I recommend it if you think it might be your kind of thing. Even 0.5g to start just to see how it affects your auditory...

I don't get any visuals at this dose and my thought processes generally aren't changed at all so I'm able to make actual determinations and judgments on what I'm hearing just as if I was sober. But it really really enhances the audio.

There are some exceptions to this low dose generalization such as new autechre albums.

I recommend it if you think it might be your kind of thing. Even 0.5g to start just to see how it affects your auditory...

I used to take mushrooms pretty regularly a couple years ago. They were a blast (not to mention all the peripheral therapeutic benefits) but I had trouble looking at people's faces because everyone's skin would turn purple-ish greenish-ish. And half the time I would just end up on the ground laughing until my cheeks and ribs hurt.

Beautiful substance. I miss it. Can't find it anymore, although I don't know if I'd take it these days.

Guest murphythecat8

1.5g gives me a lot of visuals and pretty much makes me trip if I smoke weed on top. Do you smoke weed on top of 1.5g? id like to know. its been 2 years I havent shroomed, ive devoted my time to mescaline, but yeah, even 1g and weed for me enhance considerably music.

sadly, low dose of mescaline doesnt enhance enought music to make it worthwhile. I still have a 14g of shroom off a once I bought two years ago! I will take 1.5g this week, its been too long. truth is, ive been scared of shroom ever since Ive had a bad trip. I must conquer my fear. but 3.5g of shroom and weed made me go thrue a traumatizing experience that steered me totally away from shrooms.

Interesting! Yes everyone is affected by zooms differently. Try even less, 0.5 or 1g if you're worried. I do not smoke weed on top of that. I don't smoke weed very often actually, high thc weeds (sativas specifically) make me paranoid and I usually don't have a very good time. I combine other things with mushrooms occasionally but not for my usual trips.

I've actually read online about people micro-dosing psilocybin mushrooms (maybe 0.1g) daily as a supplement. I'm not sure about long term toxicity, but they claim it fights depression, enhances creativity, and a host of other things!

Guest murphythecat8

Interesting! Yes everyone is affected by zooms differently. Try even less, 0.5 or 1g if you're worried. I do not smoke weed on top of that. I don't smoke weed very often actually, high thc weeds (sativas specifically) make me paranoid and I usually don't have a very good time. I combine other things with mushrooms occasionally but not for my usual trips.

I've actually read online about people micro-dosing psilocybin mushrooms (maybe 0.1g) daily as a supplement. I'm not sure about long term toxicity, but they claim it fights depression, enhances creativity, and a host of other things!

yeah, when I was younger, I used to shroom once a week, sometime more. I used to smoke weed on it continually, not a paranoia on sight. Now I cant smoke weed on any psy, it enhance the paranoia effect that weed has. I will try this week, no weed!

What I find weird is when people LOVED tomorrow's harvest but think music I like is boring. It's like watching someone take a bite of a delicious burrito, push it away all disgustedly and get all excited about a plain bowl of oatmeal, IMO.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this album > plain oatmeal. It's a delicious burrito.

Guest murphythecat8

I respect the ideology and concept behind flying lotus and I like certain songs but it just doesn't work for me, its unaccomplished music to me.

im not sure to follow the idea between BOC vs flying lotus. apples vs oranges. I might prefer a plain and simple melody over a over-complicated dish that was only half mastered. Idea is good, but the execution isnt.

Im out of this thread, Ive listened to it many times now, and I cant like that, its just against my soul! But I understand the appeal!

What I like about the new album is exactly the concept behind. Yeah, the music is kinda of the same, but at least most have a real story behind, true ideas that Mr. Lotus wants to show.

Yeah. I also agree with Mr. G. But, well, it sounds great anyways,

oh yeah. im not really agreeing or disagreeing so much as i am having a little LOL at giving an album a 4.5 after only getting halfway through the album and listening while on mushrooms.

for a short (40 minute!) album where the songs go for ~1-2minutes and blend into one another, carrying the albums flow and whatnot ,, i think its pretty obvious that this is something thats meant to be listened to and considered as a whole.

maybe the album is totally mediocre, lacks subtlety, doesnt give the songs enough time to flesh out and has an energy that's a bit too spastic to properly follow, but even after 2 listens i thought it was a bit too early to really tell, and i'm enjoying it for the time being anyway so maybe it's good?? who knows?? whatever?? lol ?????

You don't know if something sounds bad or you don't like it after your first listen?

Again it's not like I was completely blasted and off my face on shrooms, and I just want to make the distinction between myself and most people: this is a practice I engage in often to enhance audio. I'm almost completely sober (train of thought wise), it just enhances audio for me in the amount I'm taking. Most people use weed for this but weed makes me paranoid/I don't like smoking it.

I don't know man, i've had really bad experience with some of Autechre's later work on first listen but then when you return to it later it starts to click.

There are also a handful of albums I hated at 16 but now I've fallen in love with

What I find weird is when people LOVED tomorrow's harvest but think music I like is boring. It's like watching someone take a bite of a delicious burrito, push it away all disgustedly and get all excited about a plain bowl of oatmeal, IMO.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this album > plain oatmeal. It's a delicious burrito.

big on the burritos today buddy

the style he's going for with the free jazz stuff is 45 years old anyway and there's mountain and mountains of that material to explore.

I'm not going to poo poo this anymore either. if you are digging it, keep digging and enjoy.

"you're dead" is a burrito full of refried beans, captain crunch cereal, pomegranate seeds, ahi tuna sashimi, and old yak milk.

Which is a disgusting combination in my books so... I'll keep my plain old oatmeal.

Edit: I liked cosmo and UTQC quite a bit. But those albums had less fluff (glitter, random nonsensical vocal samples, etc).

It's like he's doing the same thing as before but worse this time around.

This album is some of his most accomplished work. Even the ~90 sec instrumentals have more space, texture and composition than on any of his other albums.

'Turkey Dog Coma' flows with several parts and reaches a conclusion - you can see he's pushing himself to flesh out his compositions, despite how short they often still are. They feel more complete to me. This is mature work for him.

I'm surprised by how much I'm loving the album, and UTQC didn't do it for me - this is the direction I hoped for immediately after Cosmogramma. This is great stuff.

'Turtles' is my current stand-out, but I keep listening to the whole album through. 'Eyes Above' is great too.

Just got the 2LP in the mail, currently playing. I'll just write my thoughts as the album plays:

What is up with the A (and C) side? Just press it up on one 12", ffs. OPN did the same with R+7 but that made more sense somehow. I just replayed side A because while I was thinking about how short it is, it was already over before I could grasp what I even heard.

I really liked the last two tracks from the B-side, he finally takes the time to let the track flow a bit.

is that Meredith Monk's Turtle Dreams he sampled on Turtles? I think he did. I hope he did, I love Turtle Dreams. The start of Eyes Above reminds me of the Los Angeles album. The Herbie Hancock tracks should've been way longer, they're great. Please, let someone stop that Thundercat noodling.

Descent Into Madness is this albums DMT Song. Same recipe. Love it though. Hurray for Obligatory Cadence. The D-side is by far my favourite part of the album.

Aw, it's over already. Well, conclu-

Wait.

Is that a minute long gap of silence before the last track played? Really? Is this a practice in filling up two vinyls with nothing? C'mon.

Conclusion: I'd rather have a HQ video for this with those visuals Boiler Room broadcasted. I'm not a fan of music videos, but that seemed to enhance the music incredibly. It's a good album, I'm digging it even though it has Thundercat and the exact same recipe for a FlyLo album. It should also be way longer.

This album is some of his most accomplished work. Even the ~90 sec instrumentals have more space, texture and composition than on any of his other albums.

I'm surprised by how much I'm loving the album, and UTQC didn't do it for me - this is the direction I hoped for immediately after Cosmogramma. This is great stuff.

Same here, it's a lot more succinct and focused than UTQC (which seems so much longer than 46 minutes to me), no meandering instrumentals, just engaging tracks beginning to end. Has the same punch that Cosmogramma had. To me it's more emotionally grabbing as well. Loved the percussion, wasn't as heavy-handed or too trying, just fluid.

The Herbie Hancock tracks should've been way longer, they're great. Please, let someone stop that Thundercat noodling.

I like Thundercat but I can't help but feel the same way. You know what I did like, to my shock, all of the rap bits by Flylo/Captain Murphy, Kendrick, and even the Snoop Dogg part, which just fell in place perfectly. I liked all of those parts more than the more traditional vocals. Pleasant surprise.

I'll be playing this one on repeat a lot, which to me is very encouraging because I was that way with everything up through Los Angeles, but I haven't been that way with his work in the meantime.

@ Herr Jann's 2LP comments; Yeah, I can't help but feel this album like this would be better squeezed on to one LP, and at 38min, its totally possible. It seems quite important to be able to properly zone out and think of the thing as one large piece.

Conclusion: I'd rather have a HQ video for this with those visuals Boiler Room broadcasted. I'm not a fan of music videos, but that seemed to enhance the music incredibly. It's a good album, I'm digging it even though it has Thundercat and the exact same recipe for a FlyLo album. It should also be way longer.

Agreed here as well, that 'Day of You're Dead' really clicked with the concept and was, for me, the most satisfying presentation of the album. Unfortunately I can't find any recording of this online; it would be great to share with those who missed it before.

Guest bitroast

Just got the 2LP in the mail, currently playing. I'll just write my thoughts as the album plays:

What is up with the A (and C) side? Just press it up on one 12", ffs. OPN did the same with R+7 but that made more sense somehow. I just replayed side A because while I was thinking about how short it is, it was already over before I could grasp what I even heard.

I really liked the last two tracks from the B-side, he finally takes the time to let the track flow a bit.

is that Meredith Monk's Turtle Dreams he sampled on Turtles? I think he did. I hope he did, I love Turtle Dreams. The start of Eyes Above reminds me of the Los Angeles album. The Herbie Hancock tracks should've been way longer, they're great. Please, let someone stop that Thundercat noodling.

Descent Into Madness is this albums DMT Song. Same recipe. Love it though. Hurray for Obligatory Cadence. The D-side is by far my favourite part of the album.

Aw, it's over already. Well, conclu-

Wait.

Is that a minute long gap of silence before the last track played? Really? Is this a practice in filling up two vinyls with nothing? C'mon.

I think i agree. I like the album but giving the songs a bit more room to breathe would be appreciated. Plus (im pretty sure all my posts in this thread say this same thing) the 2xLP tracklisting is an insult... 6 minute side A is a joke..

Listened to Los Angeles last night while drawing and its so much more stripped back and chilled out. You can actually put it on and listen to it.. Not that you can't with You're Dead, but the pace of the tracks and album is pretty grating.

Also agree on the r+7 vinyl. I love the album but hardly ever listen to the records cause the sides are so short its hard to ease into the music. warp records man, what are they doing .. All other OPN have good logic to the LP tracklisting, as do the LPs on flylo's brainfeeder label..

I was considering making a thread recently complaining about the modern trend of 2xLP records having short sides and being annoying to listen to but couldnt be bothered writing it out, so i've pretty much been putting all my rants in this thread. The album has pushed me over the edge man !!

I believe the reason why it's too damn short is that it's a very, very conceptual album, dealing with death and all that shit. I think this was created with a "deeper" artsy objective in mind than just another music album.

Guest bitroast

I believe the reason why it's too damn short is that it's a very, very conceptual album, dealing with death and all that shit. I think this was created with a "deeper" artsy objective in mind than just another music album.

i think so too. but it's still an artsy art piece that has chosen a music album as its format of presentation. compromising what makes music enjoyable to listen to, to present the message ...

i think so too. but it's still an artsy art piece that has chosen a music album as its format of presentation. compromising what makes music enjoyable to listen to, to present the message ...

The point is that with 4 sides you're dead 4 times ! Artsy concept indeed :emotawesomepm9:

If only there was a format without all these neverending issues. A cheaper one too, maybe.That'd be magical.

flol !

Archived