IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... I've played it through at least four times, which is a lot for me these days. I was definitely blown away the first time I heard it. The average watmmer is jaded as fuck though, so no surprise that erections are turning flaccid so quickly.

If you get a chance to see him live, I highly recommend it. Saw him at Fun Fun Fun Fest this weekend. He's incorporated the new album really well into his setlist and the visuals are pretty damn cool. Also, he messed up a line as Captain Murphy and he was like really apologetic about it, despite the fact that no one probably cared.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I've played it through at least four times, which is a lot for me these days. I was definitely blown away the first time I heard it. The average watmmer is jaded as fuck though, so no surprise that erections are turning flaccid so quickly.

I still love FlyLo

this album is just pretty rough on my delicate ears

(btw, I do think it's a good album....but it is pretty fried limiter-wise)

Boy, I burnt out on this record in like 1.5 listens.

I think his overblown, limited-to-death production is finally giving me listener fatigue.

Never bothered me before.

I mean, like...I have zero desire to listen to this again.

Weird.

Funny, because I got that with Cosmogramma and UTQC and I really had hope that it wasn't going to be the case for this one. It isn't yet, but I'm already skipping entire sides. Can't be good.

lol same though here... just enjoy to listen all flylo album, after bye! bye! i'm just happy to get his albums but it's just now enjoy to listen them with friends than alone... cuz it becomes annoying after several listenings...

I still love FlyLo

this album is just pretty rough on my delicate ears

(btw, I do think it's a good album....but it is pretty fried limiter-wise)

It's actually pretty soft-sounding to my ears because of the limiting --very little in the way of sharp sounds, which is what usually bugs my ears. Venetian Snares is brutal for that. Rock or metal bands that master their recordings super loud are also tough to endure, due to the stereo high-frequency guitar shit being constantly maxed out. Compared to that Fly Lo and Clark are like easy listening for me. Also I'm more inclined to crank up albums that are mastered more reasonably, so the loudest points on those albums end up being way louder than any part of my FL listening experience.

• 2 weeks later...

If only there was a format without all these neverending issues. A cheaper one too, maybe.That'd be magical.

I actually had nothing to add to this thread but this is spot-on. All this vinyl-placebo bullshit. Just put some high-shelf filter down a bit around 8khz, put everything under 150hz in mono, add some VST-vinyl-crackle emulation and enjoy your "magical, warm, analog-like, superior, lively, hipster" blah blah sound with all the comfort of digital.

The only thing vinyl does right is art.

See you guys! :catrecline:

• 6 months later...

i just wanna bump this cause i think it's a beautifull album and i keep coming back to it

when i put it on it feels like coming home and it releaves my soul

I like Flylo just fine

I was more a fan of his earlier drum machine sounding beats

using samples etc.

My confusion with this record and some of Cosmograma is

the noodly Pastorious style bass playing

I really do not understand it on Hello Everything for that matter either.

I think this music would go up a notch if the slap happy fusion era bass licks were kept to a minimum

• 2 months later...

Sad clowns/hihats everywhere

lol

Haven't listened to this since I shut it off halfway through the record when I first bought it.

You're missing out. I recall the second half being better than the first, though i also thought the first half was awesome. Jazz punk for teh futur.

Well, if it's an album you're not expecting that's throwing some musical ideas out there you're less comfortable with, half a listen isn't going to give anything close to a fair assessment. It's easily his most challenging album. You should acclimatize before you criticize! :rtfm::music:

lol

It's honestly all the rapper cameos that bugged me. I don't give a fack what snoop dog or kendrick lamar has to say, tbh. Maybe they're talented linguistically or some other thing I don't understand, but I just don't care to hear what they're saying. It ruined the tracks for me. Gives it a cheap, wannabe thug feel to me.

Archived