IGNORED

Ridley Scott to make "The Man in the High Castle"!!!

chenGOD

imo ideas in pkd books are really fantastic but his characters are all alike, lifeless and 2-dimensional

I have to agree with this

I'm almost done reading it, the characters in The Man in the High Castle are pretty bland tbh

But the ideas are so awesome

Basically PKD was an amazing SF author who wasn't very good at characterization, and the quality of his prose was generally dismal, and his wife probably wrote the good bits in ASD, and he wasn't great at starting novels, or finishing novels, and sometimes the middle parts of his novels were also pretty bad.

wasn't very good at characterization, he wasn't great at starting novels, or finishing novels, and sometimes the middle parts of his novels were also pretty bad.

lol thank god everything else and between was great

imo ideas in pkd books are really fantastic but his characters are all alike, lifeless and 2-dimensional

I have to agree with this

I'm almost done reading it, the characters in The Man in the High Castle are pretty bland tbh

But the ideas are so awesome

he knew these weaknesses of his too. it's one of the reasons I admire him. you tend to start filling in the gaps in characterisation yourself anyway.

... and his wife probably wrote the good bits in ASD ...

wait, what? I've never heard of this before.

that is my favourite book.

... and his wife probably wrote the good bits in ASD ...

wait, what? I've never heard of this before.

that is my favourite book.

i'm probably exaggerating out of sheer cuntitude.

Because of its semi-autobiographical nature, some of Scanner was torturous to write. Tessa Dick, Philip's wife at the time, once stated that she often found her husband weeping as the sun rose after a night-long writing session. Tessa has given interviews stating that "when he was with me, he wrote A Scanner Darkly [in] under two weeks. But we spent three years rewriting it" and that she was "pretty involved in his writing process [for A Scanner Darkly]."[8] Tessa stated in a later interview that she "participated in the writing of A Scanner Darkly" and said that she "consider [her]self the silent co-author." Philip wrote a contract giving Tessa half of all the rights to the novel, which stated that Tessa "participated to a great extent in writing the outline and novel A Scanner Darkly with me, and I owe her one half of all income derived from it."[9]

hmm. it does make sense in a way, because the writing/dialogue is more earthy and less detached/clinical than in his other books. I wondered about that.

• 4 weeks later...

if ridley scott is doing this film it will be crap, even though his only salvation might be the fact that amazon give him carte blanche because of his pedigree doing full features and their inexperience being a studio

Archived