IGNORED

Well isn't this interesting, Portreath Harbour test pressing

eh Speedy

Question is, was this a planned follow-up EP to Quoth/SOSW, or an EP planned around the reissue of the SOSW CD, which included this track and Redruth School?

Richard told me at the time the SOSW reissue was scheduled to come out that the tracks were "the first two I found on a DAT marked Polygon Window" at the time... the catalogue number (WAP 146) is not released, and chronologically, that would have been around 2001, when the SOSW reissue came out...

The mystery deepens!

Question is, was this a planned follow-up EP to Quoth/SOSW, or an EP planned around the reissue of the SOSW CD, which included this track and Redruth School?

Richard told me at the time the SOSW reissue was scheduled to come out that the tracks were "the first two I found on a DAT marked Polygon Window" at the time... the catalogue number (WAP 146) is not released, and chronologically, that would have been around 2001, when the SOSW reissue came out...

The mystery deepens!

Just posted about this asking for your help in the rare RDJ pics thread hehe, there's something weird about this release.

I asked Mike (that's where this originates from, he posted this picture on facebook here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204087543017672&set=a.2723964707139.2144558.1497771259&type=1&permPage=1 ) about it, he was sure he received it in 1993, which makes it even weirder because that 12" has the CAT# on it.

It's probably an additional single release to be released together with the rerelease of SOSW, but that story is pretty doubtful now seeing how there already was a testpressing for it back in 1993.

Guest Retrig

Joyrex didn't believe me a few years back when I told him a friend had this very test pressing. Nice to see some confirmation.

Joyrex didn't believe me a few years back when I told him a friend had this very test pressing. Nice to see some confirmation.

You know about the track on the other side? Again, can't imagine it's something else then Redruth School.

Are those facebook links bad or have the pages been taken down? I don't seem to be able to access them..

<edit> no permission? copypasta anyone?

from rare pics thread (quoting meself)

Someone's created an entry on Discogs for it, listed as WAP146.. That might well be officially confirmed info, but it doesn't make sense to me - a 2001 release?

The label contours indicate the same pressing plant as that used by Warp during 1992,1993 (1 ridge at 1.5" diameter, see http://www.discogs.c...release=2620211), so I would have thought this was more likely to have been WAP30 (before that catalogue number was used for a Warp event/flyer) - that would place it shortly after the release of Surfing On Sine Waves. Warp vinyl pressings from 2000-2001 have multiple ridges towards the center (see http://www.discogs.c...s?release=13914)

Someone get Mike Dred to confirm the catalogue number from the runouts?

Edited by xy_politics

So Grant stepped in and confirmed it's the two bonus SOSW tracks. It could well be that the 12" got the CAT# well ahead of time, according to Mike this is common practice by record labels (but 7 years ahead is pretty much).

I love those two tracks. They have same eerie, odd harmonies as SAW 2 but they still have the beats intact. The most interesting era of Richard's music if you ask me. I'd love to hear more from back then, more than anything.

So Grant stepped in and confirmed it's the two bonus SOSW tracks. It could well be that the 12" got the CAT# well ahead of time, according to Mike this is common practice by record labels (but 7 years ahead is pretty much).

confident mutha fuckaz.

Guest Retrig

It is my understanding that it was a Rephlex test pressing that was done WELL before the US re-release that included the tracks. It was probably scrapped by Rephlex for whatever reason and given to Warp later for the re-issue. It does exist, in a quantity of 10 (as my mind recalls test pressing numbers for Rephlex. There were 2 different quantities based on which year and pressing company they were using).
The "first 2 tracks that were labelled Polygon Window" is another Richard myth.

Again, all I know is I've held, heard, and felt this, along with another release that no one would believe anyway.

Imminent.

Mike Dred saying in fb thread he has no idea about the deal or CAT#, but also no knowledge about Warp after 1991 - too busy making tracks -, wouldn't have thought that though

It is my understanding that it was a Rephlex test pressing that was done WELL before the US re-release that included the tracks. It was probably scrapped by Rephlex for whatever reason and given to Warp later for the re-issue. It does exist, in a quantity of 10 (as my mind recalls test pressing numbers for Rephlex. There were 2 different quantities based on which year and pressing company they were using).

Again, all I know is I've held, heard, and felt this, along with another release that no one would believe anyway.

Imminent.

I'd say that's really plausible, the only thing that keeps me believing this is that Mike did mention the CAT# being WAP146. Also Grant saying "i got it too its the bonus tracks of polygon repress aint it, smart..." doesn't really sound like he's the one that pressed this up. Again, just speculating (you never know with Grant of course).

I'd like to hear about that other release you're talking about though!

I love those two tracks. They have same eerie, odd harmonies as SAW 2 but they still have the beats intact. The most interesting era of Richard's music if you ask me. I'd love to hear more from back then, more than anything.

Have you got his remix of Soft Ballet's Sand Lowe? It's well worth a second hand import in my opinion. It's that era when he was starting to get ethereal, but was still clangy, like on At the Heart of It All.

It's those white noise hi-hats in Redruth School I couldn't get enough of maybe a year ago. I made a bunch of tracks trying to get more of that tasty sound.

Mike Dred on FB :

"I don't work at Warp. I have a mate who made a record in 92/93 and gave me a test press. I know very little about the label itself."

lol clearly nobody showing interest in this thread would guess who that mate was

Edited by ilt17

You did? Wow, sorry! Perhaps if you had provided a bit more info/proof at the time...

That's pretty hard to fathom they would assign it a random EP catalogue number (WAP 146)... still, stranger things have happened.

Imminent.

Why would Rephlex do a Polygon Window release? I suppose it's possible, but considering SOSW/Quoth just came out on WARP (at the time), I would suspect any follow-up to it would also be on WARP.

As I said, Richard himself told me, unprompted, that he had to contribute two tracks for the SOSW reissue for WARP and they were literally the first two tracks he pulled off a DAT marked Polygon Window - even made a point to say not to tell WARP (at the time). This was when I was in regular contact with Richard, so unless he was baking up some porky pies, I see no reason for him to say such a thing. Again, though - Richard. :happy:

Also, if it was a Rephlex test pressing, why have a WARP EP catalogue # etched into the runout?

So what's the other release that's so unbelievable? I'll listen this time, promise! :emotawesomepm9: