IGNORED

The Bandcamp Revolution

Rubin Farr

What they have accomplished in the last 2 years has been amazing, is there another independent platform out there expanding at such an incredible rate? It has equalized established artists with their fans like no other before it, a new paradigm is taking shape. The One Man Record Company. The next decade will be a sea change in music like we have NEVER seen before. I can't even imagine what it will be, but I know I will love it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people , especially young people want to belong to a social group so bad sometimes, could music devolve into tribalism, where fans identify with their online favorites so much on a personal level, they take up for them personally? Look at Juggalos...you see my point maybe LOL a Mad Max future where witch house tribe battles against dubstep tribe for supremacy of the female herd.

If Bandcamp allowed you to redownload stuff you bought like Bleep, it would be the perfect website. Of course, I backup the music I buy (and make sure to get both flac / mp3 while I'm there)...but still, would be nice to have it always available, just in case.

Even without being able to redownload though, bandcamp really is awesome.

It's good. I've downloaded loads of more digital stuff of the artists I like, without a middleman a la Sony. Less time for hassle, more time for maekin music

If Bandcamp allowed you to redownload stuff you bought like Bleep, it would be the perfect website. Of course, I backup the music I buy (and make sure to get both flac / mp3 while I'm there)...but still, would be nice to have it always available, just in case.

Even if you don't have an account, just use the email confirmation you get, and you can re-download it easily.

What has changed in the last 2 years? Genuine question.

Not much I think, just gotten bigger, more artists joining.

This. I love the compilation releases where established artists and amateur musicians have no division between them anymore.

Even if you don't have an account, just use the email confirmation you get, and you can re-download it easily.

I don't think that's supposed to work.

if it does work, that's awesome. but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be one-time use only...

people , especially young people want to belong to a social group so bad sometimes, could music devolve into tribalism, where fans identify with their online favorites so much on a personal level, they take up for them personally? Look at Juggalos...you see my point maybe LOL a Mad Max future where witch house tribe battles against dubstep tribe for supremacy of the female herd.

Lol, yeah. Since jazz this is has been one of the worst aspects of non-academic music (at least in academic music developments are shared, but in non-academic music personal style weighs too much and the masters' chops are defended as if they were some sort of mafiosi...) I asked ae about techno's attempt to become independent from from all this (and its failure to become completely non-tribal) but I think I worded my question in a confusing way so their answer wasn't too revelatory.

i got 85 cents out of someone paying 2.50 for my ep... pretty decent payout for a free service! i also really enjoy the layout and cleanliness of it.

Only 85 cents? They mention a 15% cut here.

I don't think that's supposed to work.

if it does work, that's awesome. but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be one-time use only...

Pretty sure the emails only work for 24 hours or so. Whether or not they can be resent is another matter, might need to email the artist to get it.

But now that I know about the redownload feature, I don't care about poxy emails! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have to say, though I still prefer discs of either vinyl or mirrored plastic, Bandcamp seems pretty cool. In otherwords, I feel the vibe.

Edit:

Jesus I sound like a right cunt lol

Bandcamp was fine, and then they incorporated merch, and it became absolutely awesome. I always try and buy a physical record through Bandcamp, as it's direct from the artist / label, I get an immediate download of the record, it goes into my collection, really great for a service like that.

A lot of love for the design, too. Really straight-forward. All it really needs is a news feed, or the option to add individual pages (like blogs tend to) and it will make 'official sites' completely redundant.

I have to say, though I still prefer discs of either vinyl or mirrored plastic, Bandcamp seems pretty cool. In otherwords, I feel the vibe.

Edit:

Jesus I sound like a right cunt lol

No, I understand where you're coming from. In one sense, I can't help but feel it's easier to keep track of a CD/record than a digital file. I at least know the CD should be somewhere in my drawers or on a shelf.

But then, half the time I merely rip the CD and then chuck in a drawer, only listening to the files created. And there's not many CDs I can be arsed to wait to arrive to rip. And when I get a CD or record with shit artwork and terrible quality pressing, I wonder: what was the worth in supporting a physical format the artist/label doesn't give a shit about?

I dunno, I'm starting to wonder why I should bother buying CDs at all. Electronic music is well represented digitally but metal isn't, so for most of those I still buy CDs. But if they start to use bandcamp too, or other digital services? Might be time to shift the paradigm. Buy the vinyl instead and use the download card, like I've just done with the µ-ziq EP coming out...

This should really go in the first world problems thread :mu-ziq:

Bandcamp still sell records and cds though...

Which often come with an instant download, at which point the dilemma rises again: why bother paying for a CD when I won't use it when it arrives? And, again, when the artwork/packaging is often total turds (although plenty of folks DO put effort in)? All I want is the music, and I don't really need the CD any more. And records I do like, but often the artists aren't UK based, which means astronomical shipping...

I wouldn't say I'm against CDs/records, but as a cheapskate I'm losing the ability to reason why I should pay to have a CD shipped to me I won't use more than once every couple of years. That's probably the main reason: I'm really cheap.

Archived