IGNORED

Skrillex Cover Story + Interview in Complex Magazine

chim

Hate him or love him, aside from the abysmal layout this interview was pretty comprehensive.

http://www.complex.com/covers/skrillex-interview-alien-nation-2014-cover-story/

Some TLDR tidbits:

"With Skrillex, before I got into synthesis, I was sampling a lot and taking pieces and remixing"

"I never meant to make Top 40 records; that wasn’t my goal for Recess. I’m still learning who I am as an artist, and I’m not trying to force anything. People don’t understand why I got so huge, so all they can do is hate on it and put me in a category."

"People don’t realize how simple it is. It’s all about doing you and going back to the core of why you like making music. I’ve always made music for that kid in me."

"You’re being critical of something and someone else so much because you have your own insecurities. That’s the essence of it."

"I worked on some sound design for Transformers: Age of Extinction. Moody Good and I made full-on bass, dinosaur-robots-killing-each-other sounds."

"The hardest thing to do as an artist when all this other shit is happening is getting into that zone where you’re almost bored, which is the best thing to do. [...] That's when the best stuff comes out."

It's impossible for me to ever take him seriously, after seeing his emo aphex throwdowns on youtube.

And listening to his music.

It's impossible for me to ever take him seriously, after seeing his emo aphex throwdowns on youtube.

i have nothing against the guy but i also have to agree with you

i have nothing against the guy but i also have to agree with you

Seconded

sounds like hes taking the brony stance of wallowing in his victimhood

not that he cares, but to me he'd be more respectable if he just said 'i don't care, next question' when any interview mentioned the topic of skrill haters, and left it at that

i mean, i dont see why people talking about things they don't like has to have anything to do with insecurities or whatever other bullshit he's saying which is the cliched typical bullshit people always say. how about the fact that he's getting millions of dollars for doing something that lots of people do for free, and lots of other people do much harder jobs but get paid nowhere near what he's getting? i'm with capitalism being the best system out there so i'm not saying he shouldn't have that money, but on the other hand, he's putting himself in a public arena, hes making a fuckton of money for doing something that most people do for fun and that's all they can expect out of it, and yeah maybe he has skills (unless those ghost producer rumors are true), but becoming famous is still maybe 99% luck on top of the skill. the public just so happened to be willing to lap his electro farts up at the moment he hit the scene. adjust a few parameters ever so slightly and his sounds could've gone totally unnoticed.

its not enough that he has a shit ton of money, the ability to travel the world and live in a party world, but on top of that he wants everyone to only say nice things about him? yeh because winning the lottery of fame and riches isn't enough, we all have to suk his cok too. fuk u skrillex.

btw what do you think the chances are that he, on occasion, complains about/criticizes things he doesn't like himself? just like everyone else on the entire planet does? 100%?

"I never meant to make Top 40 records; that wasn’t my goal for Recess. I’m still learning who I am as an artist, and I’m not trying to force anything. People don’t understand why I got so huge, so all they can do is hate on it and put me in a category."

sonny-moore--large-msg-115220883106.jpg

dude the guy basically had a free ticket to the top because he is fucking SONNY MOORE OF FROM FIRST TO LAST. there is no telling how many people he was able to get to promote his shit when he first exploded on the scene. there was no rise to the top, he just sort of materialized.

am no fan of his, but the dude has got skills, you might not like his music but he has production chops and has carved out a sound which he owns

Also he comes across like he takes hate a lot better that some of our Idmz superstars!

Recess is an enjoyable record. I hope he does what he wants again for the next one instead of giving into any pressure he might feel. He could easily go back and make Bangarang 2. I don't think he will though.

am no fan of his, but the dude has got skills, you might not like his music but he has production chops and has carved out a sound which he owns

yeah, that's why he likes to employ other producers, probably just to sit beside him while he's making history

Heard people claim that before is there actualy any proof for it?

No real proof, but I have always assumed that his music was a mix of a bunch of different producers he works with/knows. I don't care either way and his music isn't bad nor good to me ears, but I highly doubt he made the leap from his older electronic works pre-deadmau5 to what he makes now without a boatload of help. I see him as a loveable frontman for a bunch of buddies to make money off their combined effort as that is what it sounds like when you hear his music.

I guess it could be true but just seems like another stick for haters to beat him with.. people think he is shit but that he must have help to produce his music? Does this mean you think production wise his music has merit?

and if it is ghost produced I think it must be the same people each time as he has a distinctive sound

think i remember hearing some his early stuff and again not my cup of tea but think the production was still pretty slick.

I don't buy the ghost production claims because why would industry insiders hire him to do sound design for Transformers if he didn't make his own shit? Would he show up with 2 established producers in tow and be like "yeah these guys are the real Skrillex"??

Also it's not like there's any elements in his songs that are particularly HARD to make, it's just a very polished amalgamation of very familiar brostep sounds and a few weeks in the dubstepforum production sub would get you all the knowledge you need to create those sounds. He just has a professional compositional structure and some serious pros mastering his work is all.

Archived