IGNORED

Tinnitus fucks up with my mind

cheeseburgerwalrus

The worst thing is that I'm realizing that the less I listen to music the more I feel free from T. 
Not sure if it is due to a lower exposure to sound or just me less focused on hearing...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ceiling

whaddya mean by the "rustle effect", cud u please explain it a lil more?

I've had it on and off for years now, just in my left ear. Certain high frequencies cause this weird rustle sound, difficult to explain. 

It sounds like someone crinkling a rizla inside my ear, literally sounds like my ear drum has been slightly perforated.

Dunno if it's the same thing, but since the party that gave me tinnitus I've had this thing where some sounds cause a sort of buzzing/gurgling in my left ear. It seems to happen when I'm making sawtooth sounds with my laptop speakers, so maybe there's something to your wanting to avoid them.

• 4 weeks later...

Tinnitus is weird. I've had it since I was a teenager (6-8 hours of band practice every weekend for a few years with no ear protection and my head a yard away from the drummer's ride will do that) and it can be really overwhelming sometimes but it also doesn't seem to actually interfere with my hearing noticeably.  Like, just a few minutes ago I was making oatmeal and I dropped one oat onto the kitchen counter.  When I picked it up to throw it out it split in half and I didn't see where the half that went flying went, but I pinpointed it to within a couple inches by hearing the sound of it landing on the floor a few feet behind me, even though the tinnitus was pretty loud today. Things like that aren't unusual at all, so in my case at least it doesn't seem to really have any masking effect.  I don't really get it.

It's kind of like the audio counterpart to floaters (which I've also had since at least middle school) for me, actually.  Sometimes it's REALLY noticeable and distracting, sometimes I can tune it out, and in both cases it doesn't really seem to be about how bad it is at any given time. A lot of the time tinnitus is worst for me when it's barely there but I've got nothing else to keep me from focusing on it.  Music probably makes it worse but it also makes me almost completely tune it out.  Being in a quiet room is the worst for it.

For me it's high pitched whines in both ears, a lot like the sound you get if you clench your jaw REALLY hard.  The closest real-world sounds I can compare it to are the whine from an old CRT television (not a computer monitor, something with a lower refresh rate - I can't really hear the sound of CRTs when the refresh rate is over 40hz or so but at 30hz and below it's really obvious) or the sound of the flash recharging in an older camera (or one of those disposable 35mm cameras that you could still find until a few years ago), where youhear the sound of the flash going off and then there's a high pitched whine that sweeps upward for a second or two while the capacitor recharges.  Can't think of anything more modern that sounds like it,maybe the EMF sounds you get bleeding in from your hard drive when you use the on-board headphone output on a laptop, but higher pitched. 

But yeah, even when it's really loud it's like real sounds ride on top of it, and I don't notice it interfering with my ability to hear anything, although sometimes it can make it harder to focus. 

Tinnitus is weird. I've had it since I was a teenager (6-8 hours of band practice every weekend for a few years with no ear protection and my head a yard away from the drummer's ride will do that) and it can be really overwhelming sometimes but it also doesn't seem to actually interfere with my hearing noticeably.  Like, just a few minutes ago I was making oatmeal and I dropped one oat onto the kitchen counter.  When I picked it up to throw it out it split in half and I didn't see where the half that went flying went, but I pinpointed it to within a couple inches by hearing the sound of it landing on the floor a few feet behind me, even though the tinnitus was pretty loud today. Things like that aren't unusual at all, so in my case at least it doesn't seem to really have any masking effect.  I don't really get it.

Have you punished the drummer tho?

I thought masking was like for "longer periods of time" (listening to music or freezers) rather than just a thing breaking and flying and hitting the floor (takes under 2 seconds)? Good hearing you have got though lol

Have you punished the drummer tho?

I thought masking was like for "longer periods of time" (listening to music or freezers) rather than just a thing breaking and flying and hitting the floor (takes under 2 seconds)? Good hearing you have got though lol

Last I heard he was living in Los Angeles, that's punishment enough.

That could be true about masking.  Maybe I just don't notice it because I've had tinnitus almost as long as I've been making music.  Or maybe it's because I don't really like a lot of high end in music anyhow, tend to gently roll off a lot of the highs above 12k or so in my own stuff and do most of my recreational listening through speakers that aren't very bright. So it could be that when I'm doing my most focused listening there isn't a lot up there in the high frequencies where the tinnitus is, anyhow. 

I guess I wasn't really using "masking" in any kind of technical sense, so much as a shorthand for "I don't feel like my tinnitus makes it harder to hear other sounds, it's like the other sounds kind of ride on top of the tinnitus rather than getting lost inside of it"

The most horrifying hearing related thing anyone I know has been through:

My dad developed a rare medical condition about a year ago and he's mostly recovered by now but the first symptom was about 80% hearing loss in both ears that's still not completely gone although he's back to more like 30% loss at this point.  But he told me that during the 3 or 4 months where it was almost gone, whenever he walked he would hear the sound of the tissue on the soles of his feet compressing with ever step.  I mean, he'd hear pretty much every sound his organs made amplified like any time you get water in your ear or have an ear infection that leaves fluid behind your ear drum, but I guess it was a LOT more extreme than it is in those cases, and the sound of the insides of his feet when he walked were some of the loudext.

Arrgh, reading this thread is making me hear it more.

I was listening to Mantronix the whole time, that probably didn't help either.

My dad developed a rare medical condition about a year ago and he's mostly recovered by now but the first symptom was about 80% hearing loss in both ears that's still not completely gone although he's back to more like 30% loss at this point.  But he told me that during the 3 or 4 months where it was almost gone, whenever he walked he would hear the sound of the tissue on the soles of his feet compressing with ever step.  I mean, he'd hear pretty much every sound his organs made amplified like any time you get water in your ear or have an ear infection that leaves fluid behind your ear drum, but I guess it was a LOT more extreme than it is in those cases, and the sound of the insides of his feet when he walked were some of the loudext.

This really is the most horrifying hearing disease I ever heard 

White noise machines or having an air purifier in your room is the best thing for tinnitis. Just audible enough so that it masks it and you'll be able to get sleep and have a decrease in depression. I don't have tinnitis but I am sensitive to every bloody sound imaginable at night time and this is the only way I can keep my sanity.

Keep your headphone volumes down and wear earplugs at every music event you go to. Especially Squarepushers. His is just one huge noise burst for 2 solid hours.

White noise machines or having an air purifier in your room is the best thing for tinnitis. Just audible enough so that it masks it and you'll be able to get sleep and have a decrease in depression. I don't have tinnitis but I am sensitive to every bloody sound imaginable at night time and this is the only way I can keep my sanity.

Keep your headphone volumes down and wear earplugs at every music event you go to. Especially Squarepushers. His is just one huge noise burst for 2 solid hours.

Yeah I wear earplugs everywhere and put volume caps on my phone and whatnot - still can hardly sleep at home because I live in a rural area after being in the city for a decade. These days I either do white noise or hit play on a podcast and throw a 10-15min sleep timer on it.

Good thread. I have this too. While it's well-known that blasting loud music and going to Squarepusher's gigs may cause tinnitus, mine is caused by a condition called temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Was diagnosed just recently and read about it, it's a real fucker. So this little dude TMJ connects your jaw to the side of your head. It's so tiny it's ridiculous, go look it up online. And normally it enables you to talk, chew, yawn and other things you tend to take for granted. But once it's fucked, first it gets painful to yawn, then painful to chew, painful to swallow, then saying certain words or sounds gets painful. Then one day you bite at something and the pain gets so bad it's debilitating. So for instance I had to eat semi-liquid food with my head turned to the right, because that's the only position I could swallow food in without dying of pain. You can imagine how ridiculous and impairing that is.

But it's not all. One day you also start to realize that you've got ringing in your ears. Gets worse when you go to sleep because it's when everything around is silent and you can hear it. Drives you insane! And if all of that wasn't enough, get this: you also get "diminished auditory acuity". Let me tell you something about it. It's like someone turned down the volume fader in your ears by 5 or 7%. It's low enough to brush it off but high enough to start getting fucking paranoid. It's like what the fuck? Did my hearing really get worse or am I making this up? Was this track as loud as I remember it? Then you start saying certain words or phrases during the day to literally check your hearing. Opening your jaw trying to yawn to clear the canals or whatever, but it doesn't work.

And if THAT wasn't enough, there's no known or proven cure. Each doctor has their own approach, but there's no agreed upon protocol to treat TMJ dysfunction. They don't even know what causes it. Some say stress, and some say behavioural therapy helps more than any pills, because people tend to get suicidal over this shit. Well, anyway, just wanted to type it all out because it sucks. If you experience any jaw discomfort, decreased hearing and tinnitus, please see a doctor.

Not sudden onset hearing loss? https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2013/september/sudden-onset-hearing-loss/

One of my college professors had that. He just woke up one morning and couldn't hear anything. Has permanent hearing aids now. Used to be a conductor for a prominent orchestra.

Is the tinnitus always at the same frequency ?

Have you guys ever tried Betahistine (Serc)? Evidence is not strong for its effectiveness at reducing symptoms but still appears to be prescribed a lot. It makes sense how it may alleviate symptoms given its MoA

To me it's a mixture of frequencies, but very high, so that could be perceived as one. If I focus it's like a sea of high frequencies crashing and flowing

Good thread. I have this too. While it's well-known that blasting loud music and going to Squarepusher's gigs may cause tinnitus, mine is caused by a condition called temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Was diagnosed just recently and read about it, it's a real fucker. So this little dude TMJ connects your jaw to the side of your head. It's so tiny it's ridiculous, go look it up online. And normally it enables you to talk, chew, yawn and other things you tend to take for granted. But once it's fucked, first it gets painful to yawn, then painful to chew, painful to swallow, then saying certain words or sounds gets painful. Then one day you bite at something and the pain gets so bad it's debilitating. So for instance I had to eat semi-liquid food with my head turned to the right, because that's the only position I could swallow food in without dying of pain. You can imagine how ridiculous and impairing that is.

But it's not all. One day you also start to realize that you've got ringing in your ears. Gets worse when you go to sleep because it's when everything around is silent and you can hear it. Drives you insane! And if all of that wasn't enough, get this: you also get "diminished auditory acuity". Let me tell you something about it. It's like someone turned down the volume fader in your ears by 5 or 7%. It's low enough to brush it off but high enough to start getting fucking paranoid. It's like what the fuck? Did my hearing really get worse or am I making this up? Was this track as loud as I remember it? Then you start saying certain words or phrases during the day to literally check your hearing. Opening your jaw trying to yawn to clear the canals or whatever, but it doesn't work.

And if THAT wasn't enough, there's no known or proven cure. Each doctor has their own approach, but there's no agreed upon protocol to treat TMJ dysfunction. They don't even know what causes it. Some say stress, and some say behavioural therapy helps more than any pills, because people tend to get suicidal over this shit. Well, anyway, just wanted to type it all out because it sucks. If you experience any jaw discomfort, decreased hearing and tinnitus, please see a doctor.

What kind of exam have you done to diagnose it? 

I've never had jaw pain, but something related to that area yes: bruxism (nocturnal teeth grinding, which can be identified in various ways, ex. canine teeth no longer so sharp) and also if i yawn without limiting the opening my jaw blocks for some milliseconds (very scary) 

And I feel a little hearing loss too, very low, but sometimes it's very embarrassing asking people to repeat or act as if I understood when the interlocutor speaks softly or there's background buzz

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE: is the sound of your tinnitus the same that you perceive if you wide open your mouth? 

I've never had jaw pain, but something related to that area yes: bruxism (nocturnal teeth grinding, which can be identified in various ways, ex. canine teeth no longer so sharp) and also if i yawn without limiting the opening my jaw blocks for some milliseconds (very scary) 

I did an MRI of the temporomandibular joint (muscle functional). It's fucking expensive compared to any other MRI for some reason. Probably because this shit is so tiny. But the symptoms are so specific that it's pretty much obvious even without an MRI that you've got a TMJ dysfunction. Normally you wouldn't even know such a thing exists. But once your jaw gets fucked it leads to all these weird issues including tinnitus and hearing loss. Like, who could have thought?

As for the bruxism -- it can lead to TMJ dysfunction and may be one of the symptoms because it fucks with the joint a lot, however doctors are not 100% sure (as with everything related to this diagnosis). Locking of the jaw is a symptom too.

you can read this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_dysfunction#Signs_and_symptoms and check if it applies to you. They also write about bruxism there. It's a well-written article as well, very informative. But funnily enough I lived for a couple years with only just a slight discomfort when yawning until it got serious very rapidly. It's very obvious now that my joint was fucked already then.

And I feel a little hearing loss too, very low, but sometimes it's very embarrassing asking people to repeat or act as if I understood when the interlocutor speaks softly or there's background buzz

OMG YES. fucking sucks. Can relate so much.

I did an MRI of the temporomandibular joint (muscle functional). It's fucking expensive compared to any other MRI for some reason. Probably because this shit is so tiny. But the symptoms are so specific that it's pretty much obvious even without an MRI that you've got a TMJ dysfunction. Normally you wouldn't even know such a thing exists. But once your jaw gets fucked it leads to all these weird issues including tinnitus and hearing loss. Like, who could have thought?

As for the bruxism -- it can lead to TMJ dysfunction and may be one of the symptoms because it fucks with the joint a lot, however doctors are not 100% sure (as with everything related to this diagnosis). Locking of the jaw is a symptom too.

you can read this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_dysfunction#Signs_and_symptoms and check if it applies to you. They also write about bruxism there. It's a well-written article as well, very informative. But funnily enough I lived for a couple years with only just a slight discomfort when yawning until it got serious very rapidly. It's very obvious now that my joint was fucked already then.

OMG YES. fucking sucks. Can relate so much.

Does your tinnitus sound the same as the one you perceive after a Squarepusher gig? 

The ringing gets way worse if I drink alcohol (with protracted accentuation of the ringing volume until the next day)

Not sure about weed, because I quit it one year ago when I still thought a soft ringing sound in the ears was normal 

If I get angry it gets worse and it's very connected to the reason why coffee is responsible for a worsening too in my opinion

Mine is sort like a white noise with a bit of a low-pass filter on the high end. I dunno, it's always been the same. I also tried opening the jaw tonight like you said, it didn't change.

The ringing gets way worse if I drink alcohol

I've never thought I'd see someone type that out. Thought I was going mad, lol. Yes, the same. Come to think of it, all these symptoms are listed under TMJD, but they never actually say WHY it happens... I have a feeling that alcohol being a vasodilator just makes your vessels bigger and somehow they block some ear canals or something, I don't know, but it sounds like a bunch of BS.

The ringing gets way worse if I drink alcohol (with protracted accentuation of the ringing volume until the next day)

i've had this thought too, but could it be that everytime you drink alcohol youre at a party/loud pub environment for hours on end and its just the after effect of that? i need to test it one day by sitting alone in my room quietly getting pissed

Yup, I agree: FUCK TINNITUS. Ever since I have it my enjoyment of music is at 60% of what it used to be :(

I developed this new sound recently where the tinnitus is sidechained to music lol. Sooo fucking annoying!

Tzzzssshxhchxhcpiiiiiii, the sound of tinnitus, a debilitating but all-too- common

condition whereby the tinnitus-sufferer – also known as the Tinutee – hears a

permanent non-auditory internal buzzing, hissing or ringing, with the capability of

bringing them to the brink of madness. This condition is far too common nowadays,

affecting 1 in 10 people, including yours truly. Tinutees inevitably have to face

the gulf of quietude, the abyss of hush, the evil of Silence, at one point or another.

Thankfully there are some DIY noise therapy tricks to ease the racket in your

eardrums. Mindful that each person may experience tinnitus differently, I will

share my own personal anti-tinnitus remedy, created with the mighty MS-20. It combines pink and white noise, white letting through a very subtle high-frequency tone.

It also emulates the North Sea wind to soothe not only the ears but also the soul.

You can of course adapt these settings to soothe your own condition: A different

frequency for the 2nd oscillator (that does the beep), the filter cut off to

find the right "tinitus masking" sweetspot.

VCO1 --------------------> NOISE

PW ----------------------> 0

Scale -------------------> ANY

Portamento --------------> 0

Master Tune -------------> 0

VCO2 --------------------> SAW TOOTH

Pitch -------------------> +2

Scale -------------------> 2'

VCO MIXER

VCO1---------------------> 8

VC02 --------------------> 3

FREQUENCY MODULATION ----> All on 0

EXCEPT LPF ------>5

HPF ---------------------> 7

HPF PEAK ----------------> 6

LPF ---------------------> 6

LPF PEAK ----------------> 6

MOD GEN -----------------> Middle (square/triangle)

FREQ --------------------> 0 (for the slow wind)

ENV GEN 1 ---------------> All on 0

ENV GEN 2 ---------------> All on 5

PATCHES

Pink noise ------ connect -------> EXT SIGNAL IN

Don't forget to hold/latch any key !

dr. Z van Zerfal

http://www.legowelt.org/Shadow%20Wolf%20Cyberzine%20Issue%206%20WORM%20seminar.htm

If I get angry it gets worse and it's very connected to the reason why coffee is responsible for a worsening too in my opinion

interesting.. i don't suffer from tinnitus (yet. well on my way, no doubt!) but have noticed that too much coffee seems to make me go a bit deaf. i rarely drink it but every now and then will coffee up for a few days in a row, then have muffled hearing for a few days after that. took me ages to connect the two but it seems consistent. it makes my sinuses feel all blocked too. inflammation of inside face bits? who knows, i just googled it and most of the results were saying coffee may *reduce* tinnitus...

It's pretty bad.  It's amazing how well he's recovered (he was really lucky, no damage to his lungs and right now he mostly just sounds like he has a cold and his hearing's not what it used to be, other than that he's back to normal and it hasn't even been a year), although you always have it, it's just in remission.  Treatment has advanced a lot in the last decade or so, 50 years ago the average life expectancy was 4 months, now people go 10-20 years without even having a (treatable) relapse.  But it's still serious, it's what killed  Egon.

But that thing I described isn't even a major symptom just an early warning sign, it's more or less the same as what happens with a typical ear infection, it's just a lot more noticeable when it happens in both ears I guess.  I've only had a couple in my life and the last one was in the early 2000s, but I lost almost all my hearing in one ear for a month because of fluid behind the ear drum.  No pain or anything even during the day or two when I had the actual infection, just a feeling like there was water in my ear that wouldn't go away, and then suddenly just under 4 weeks later it cleared up in one afternoon.  I've known of people who had partial hearing loss for up to two years and then it just came back overnight, also from bog standard ear infections, but that's unusual.

Do you get like u kno " treatment" for da TMJ

Lol imagine if you was a female.. u cud never suck a dick again lol

(jus a stupid joke I'm allready sorry for typing this out...)

Yup, I agree: FUCK TINNITUS. Ever since I have it my enjoyment of music is at 60% of what it used to be :(

I developed this new sound recently where the tinnitus is sidechained to music lol. Sooo fucking annoying!

Tzzzssshxhchxhcpiiiiiii, the sound of tinnitus, a debilitating but all-too- common

condition whereby the tinnitus-sufferer – also known as the Tinutee – hears a

permanent non-auditory internal buzzing, hissing or ringing, with the capability of

bringing them to the brink of madness. This condition is far too common nowadays,

affecting 1 in 10 people, including yours truly. Tinutees inevitably have to face

the gulf of quietude, the abyss of hush, the evil of Silence, at one point or another.

Thankfully there are some DIY noise therapy tricks to ease the racket in your

eardrums. Mindful that each person may experience tinnitus differently, I will

share my own personal anti-tinnitus remedy, created with the mighty MS-20. It combines pink and white noise, white letting through a very subtle high-frequency tone.

It also emulates the North Sea wind to soothe not only the ears but also the soul.

You can of course adapt these settings to soothe your own condition: A different

frequency for the 2nd oscillator (that does the beep), the filter cut off to

find the right "tinitus masking" sweetspot.

VCO1 --------------------> NOISE

PW ----------------------> 0

Scale -------------------> ANY

Portamento --------------> 0

Master Tune -------------> 0

VCO2 --------------------> SAW TOOTH

Pitch -------------------> +2

Scale -------------------> 2'

VCO MIXER

VCO1---------------------> 8

VC02 --------------------> 3

FREQUENCY MODULATION ----> All on 0

EXCEPT LPF ------>5

HPF ---------------------> 7

HPF PEAK ----------------> 6

LPF ---------------------> 6

LPF PEAK ----------------> 6

MOD GEN -----------------> Middle (square/triangle)

FREQ --------------------> 0 (for the slow wind)

ENV GEN 1 ---------------> All on 0

ENV GEN 2 ---------------> All on 5

PATCHES

Pink noise ------ connect -------> EXT SIGNAL IN

Don't forget to hold/latch any key !

dr. Z van Zerfal

http://www.legowelt.org/Shadow%20Wolf%20Cyberzine%20Issue%206%20WORM%20seminar.htm

I don't get it?? whattt

Archived