IGNORED

Tinnitus fucks up with my mind

cheeseburgerwalrus

That movie made me aware of the phenomenon, and I instantly became aware of the symptoms in my own hearing. I've brutalized my ears over the years; growing up around houses being constructed, going to raves, metal shows, and festivals where I'd stand as close to the fucking pa as possible, being in some incarnation of a loud drunken noise band since I was 13, feeling complete and total bliss in passing out in front of a guitar feeding back into stacks of amplifiers. And then this movie comes along and I start to think "maybe you should ease up a bit, eh?". Not really, though. I got paranoid about it for probably a good year or two, then I just kinda forgot about it. Still blast music, but more as a weekend warrior, and I make sure that I supplement my diet with plenty of birds and wind through trees. Also don't ever never ever wear headphones, vibrations too close to the precious bits. Another decent reference to the phenomenon:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chemotherapy (cisplatin in particular) can give you horrible tinnitus and can permanently fuck up your perception of certain bands in the high end of the spectrum.

While I was getting chemo I kept having these awful tinnitus/vertigo attacks, where I'd hear a loud high ringing that seemed to be moving, shifting from one ear to the other, throwing my coordination off like crazy. Usually accompanied by a feeling of pressure in my head. I read that hearing problems could be permanent, it really freaked me out. Luckily it wasn't in my case, ears work fine now! (afaik)..

I'd still get little aftershocks of it for a while afterward, a few weeks fine and then a sudden ringing attack rushing through my ears for a few seconds. Very disorienting!

• 3 weeks later...

Some days ago I was drunk + weed + MDMA + a massive amount of synthetic cannabinoids and it caused something like tinnitus. It felt like there was a constant stream of rubber coming out of my ears and certain frequencies appeared as glowing light balls before my eye. I thought I was going to be numb as the noises in my ears were so fucking loud and my vision changed so dramatically but I was just high as fuck. Eating infamous amounts of meatballs rescued me from that feeling, maybe that helps for you too. feel bad for anyone who has this their whole life. It really sucks

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I have it, what i would categorise as mild?

I cannot hear silence and therefore most nights would sleep to music/white noise/podcasts or sometimes background noise is enough.

It is extremely aggravated by alcohol. I hope they find some cure or relievement before mine gets worse.

I've looked up multiple avenues for causes, because I've had mine as long as I can remember. The causes I could find:

• Long exposure to loud noises (possible, I went to concerts since I was under 10)
  • Short extreme exposure to extremely loud noises (blaring speakers, gunshots etc. also possible I went to some clubs with poor acoustics that compensated by just playing really loud.)
  • Tight muscles in the neck, can be relieved by stretching neck muscles to alleviate your ears and associated ear hair floccules being distorted. (I found some relief from the stretches)

o shit my necks been fucked up for about a year now i'm near 6'5" and spend most of my day sitting down craning over a desk. Gonna book another massage + start stretching every day again!! thank u chassis

I have it pretty bad I think. I have to listen to music when I go to bed to get some sleep.I try not to pay attention to it to prevent insanity, but it's getting to the point where I sometimes have trouble hearing what people are saying because of the sine woosh.

Mines been bad recently.. is a fucker!

Though I also sometimes have stiff/sore neck so really interesting to know that can be a factor! Didnt know that cheers for the info, Will try some stretchs and massage

• 1 month later...

Update good news my tinnitus has sort of been accepted by my brain and doesn't seem sound like an exterior noise anymore. I had a spike yesterday because i was walking around the city listening to music at a pretty high volume on in ear headphones but it's since gone back to normal. I think acceptance of the sound really helped me forget about it, stress made it a lot worse.

did everyone's have a slow onset or come about suddenly? Mine started out of the blue for a few seconds in either ear and now its a mild constant ring.

i've had it since i was a teen to some degree but didn't realise it until i got it really bad a year or two ago. i used to think the noise i heard was electricity in the walls when i was younger but it was obviously fairly mild tinnitus.

mine got way worse after a particular gig. i'd always get it after a gig (obviously) but then it's fade after a few days but this time it just stayed with me. it's super loud but i usually forget about it, though at nights (obviously) it can be horrible.

Update good news my tinnitus has sort of been accepted by my brain and doesn't seem sound like an exterior noise anymore. I had a spike yesterday because i was walking around the city listening to music at a pretty high volume on in ear headphones but it's since gone back to normal. I think acceptance of the sound really helped me forget about it, stress made it a lot worse.

It is completely manageable. Mine was not sudden, I live in an urban area and I remember camping with friend and realising that you don't get silence most places. Low amounts of noises drowns out most of it,

As xxx said, price of doing business. Price of being alive you're body degrades, get used to it, it happens. Ive got some bad back pain I need to get massaged out, far less manageable than tinnitus because it actually affects working and daily life.

Every so often, maybe every 1 or 2 months I get a slight ringing in one ear. Subsides after 2 minutes but makes me really paranoid.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sometimes I feel like hearing music at very low volumes makes my hears more sensible at elaborate sounds (not very easy to explain on words) but for this reason, when I quit music, the ringing is perceived very strong, but just because I have lowered my volume standards

Hope someone understands what I'm saying

thats dark xxx hope you can cope okay

Ive realised that I've probably had tinnitus since a teenager because I remember often hearing a mild ringing noise while lying in bed and just assumed that was what silence sounded like. My tinnitus has just become noticeable after a few loud gigs.

I can tell you that if I hit 65, have nothing further to contribute to the world and face nothing but a decline into dead-end retirement and ill-health, I would go for one last ride and end it on the open road. that ain't no gallows humour or self-pity, just straight talk. everyone's got a right to choose how and when they go, on their terms.

giphy.gif

actually nah, unnecessarily violent. and it'd destroy the bike, which would be a grossly immoral thing to do. I'd give it away and then eat a pile of barbiturates or something.

Had a really bad bout of tinnitus last year, felt semi-suicidal. Kept calm and realised reading about it wasn't doing me any favours. Alongside the tinnitus I also had that sound where high pitches would create this rustle effect in my left ear, super annoying. Was a drummer since I was a kid and really kind of took the piss with my ears so kinda felt like it was karma catching up to me. 

Anyway I just went all out and stopped listening to music over laptop speakers, started playing at a super low volume on headphones and on my monitors. Always wore earplugs anytime I went to a gig/club and if there was a moment i went somewhere and they were blaring loud music unexpectedly, i'd just up and leave. Started blocking my ears every time an ambulance would go past. Basically just did everything I could to protect my ears. 

After many months of sleepless nights and lots of despair it did slowly begin to fade, it would still crop up of a morning really quite heavily but as the day went on it would be begin to fade again. I avoided bad stuff about tinnitus on the internet and just kept reading this Kevin Shields interview about how he coped with tinnitus and to be honest that was a huge help, soon realised that it probably wasn't ever going to properly go away and i think that was the key to be honest. 

As soon as I started to not fight it and kind of accept that it was a part of me, it went away! Now when i saw it went away I can't be sure it really has but it just doesn't register in my psyche anymore. However If i go to a gig or anything i still always wear earplugs and try to maintain a decent volume when making music at home cause if i let my ears get to the point of ringing again it takes at least a week for it to die down again. 

Obviously everyone is different and probably some people have very strong tinnitus for years that will just never go away. Just thought id mention my story for anyone who may have acquired it recently and is suddenly panicking that it could last forever. 

Had a really bad bout of tinnitus last year, felt semi-suicidal. Kept calm and realised reading about it wasn't doing me any favours. Alongside the tinnitus I also had that sound where high pitches would create this rustle effect in my left ear, super annoying. Was a drummer since I was a kid and really kind of took the piss with my ears so kinda felt like it was karma catching up to me. 

Anyway I just went all out and stopped listening to music over laptop speakers, started playing at a super low volume on headphones and on my monitors. Always wore earplugs anytime I went to a gig/club and if there was a moment i went somewhere and they were blaring loud music unexpectedly, i'd just up and leave. Started blocking my ears every time an ambulance would go past. Basically just did everything I could to protect my ears. 

After many months of sleepless nights and lots of despair it did slowly begin to fade, it would still crop up of a morning really quite heavily but as the day went on it would be begin to fade again. I avoided bad stuff about tinnitus on the internet and just kept reading this Kevin Shields interview about how he coped with tinnitus and to be honest that was a huge help, soon realised that it probably wasn't ever going to properly go away and i think that was the key to be honest. 

As soon as I started to not fight it and kind of accept that it was a part of me, it went away! Now when i saw it went away I can't be sure it really has but it just doesn't register in my psyche anymore. However If i go to a gig or anything i still always wear earplugs and try to maintain a decent volume when making music at home cause if i let my ears get to the point of ringing again it takes at least a week for it to die down again. 

Obviously everyone is different and probably some people have very strong tinnitus for years that will just never go away. Just thought id mention my story for anyone who may have acquired it recently and is suddenly panicking that it could last forever. 

Hi ceiling

whaddya mean by the "rustle effect", cud u please explain it a lil more?

I've had it really bad since a party last December. Woke up the next day with my ears ringing like they usually do after a gig, but they never stopped. I have good days when I'll only be aware of it if I'm somewhere quiet, and bad days when I can be on the noisier parts of the London Underground during rush hour and still hear it. Seems to be correlated with the weather for some reason - it was particularly bad during the abnormally cold parts of Winter and the abnormally hot parts of Summer, and has been relatively good when it's been mild.

Anyway I just went all out and stopped listening to music over laptop speakers

Is there something bad about laptop speakers in particular? I use mine a lot.

Hi ceiling

whaddya mean by the "rustle effect", cud u please explain it a lil more?

I've had it on and off for years now, just in my left ear. Certain high frequencies cause this weird rustle sound, difficult to explain. 

It sounds like someone crinkling a rizla inside my ear, literally sounds like my ear drum has been slightly perforated. Wouldn't worry about it if you don't have it, not sure if it has any link to tinnitus. 

I've had it really bad since a party last December. Woke up the next day with my ears ringing like they usually do after a gig, but they never stopped. I have good days when I'll only be aware of it if I'm somewhere quiet, and bad days when I can be on the noisier parts of the London Underground during rush hour and still hear it. Seems to be correlated with the weather for some reason - it was particularly bad during the abnormally cold parts of Winter and the abnormally hot parts of Summer, and has been relatively good when it's been mild.

Anyway I just went all out and stopped listening to music over laptop speakers

Is there something bad about laptop speakers in particular? I use mine a lot.

Probably not no haha, I just did it myself cause high frequencies just send my ear awol. For me I can clearly feel that high frequency stuff just really bugs my ears out so i dropped the laptop speakers for a while. 

For me personally, having a fuller sound just sounds more gentle on my ears. 

Archived