IGNORED

Tinnitus fucks up with my mind

cheeseburgerwalrus

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh god, just reading the thread title reminded me that it's there. I'm so lucky that it's high pitch and mostly in the left ear and not super loud.

just a quick question, are you able to attend concerts and whatnot? did you get tinnitus from noise exposure?

I had temporary tinnitus really bad one time from an incredibly loud show the day prior and had gotten INCREDIBLY stoned the following evening. I was tripping out insanely badly about my hearing and stuff. Ever since then that moment has always been in my mind. I turn music down if I can, and I always bring earplugs to shows. To be honest you can hear the show much more clearly with earplugs in most of the time anyways.

I too, have constant tinnitus. sometimes it gets really bad and can feel the phasing inside my head, other times its so loud, it almost sounds like feedback. sometimes, there is an extraneous freq or a few, and then they blend into the usual ringing pitch, that's strangely nice, but rare enough to be a bit scary.

doc said something about high blood pressure inside my head, I had to take a bunch of tests, but then I missed the appointment. :facepalm:

also smoking dope, fucks my throat badly sometimes, then the tinnitus rises...sometimes I see pink hahaha

p.s. some of the guy's suggestions above really blew my mind, got to chew them s l o w l y

also, in the aaa, sean booth suggested listening to computerworld :] he suffers from tinnitus too

p.s. some of the guy's suggestions above really blew my mind, got to chew them s l o w l y

also, in the aaa, sean booth suggested listening to computerworld :] he suffers from tinnitus too

damn sean has tinnitus too? I've been listening to tons of chain reaction / rhythm & sound / loscil / stars of the lid since I got mine a week ago, helps tremendously.

oh god, just reading the thread title reminded me that it's there. I'm so lucky that it's high pitch and mostly in the left ear and not super loud.

just a quick question, are you able to attend concerts and whatnot? did you get tinnitus from noise exposure?

it's probably from years of bashing away at acoustic guitar, and environmental noise at work. I wasn't really a big concert attendee and i never really played my music loud when i had a stereo or on my headphones, because i had good hearing, i can hear all the details, and we know all about tinnitus so why ruin it. Well lol it got me anyway. As for being able to go to gigs, it seems ok. I saw com truise in september and it didn't fuck with me. Even my bloody valentine was ok, although that was so fucking loud that i held me hands over my ears, hahah. What is the point guys, turn it down, no one can hear my snarky comments. heh [-; ;-]

it's probably from years of bashing away at acoustic guitar, and environmental noise at work. I wasn't really a big concert attendee and i never really played my music loud when i had a stereo or on my headphones, because i had good hearing, i can hear all the details, and we know all about tinnitus so why ruin it. Well lol it got me anyway. As for being able to go to gigs, it seems ok. I saw com truise in september and it didn't fuck with me. Even my bloody valentine was ok, although that was so fucking loud that i held me hands over my ears, hahah. What is the point guys, turn it down, no one can hear my snarky comments. heh [-; ;-]

thanks for your reply. it's been about six days for me and it seems like mine is getting a little harder to hear ( i can just barely hear it in my left ear if i plug up my ears and concentrate) so hopefully this might not be a permanent issue? guess i'll find out soon enough.

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because I have some new tinnitus in my left ear...

A family member was doing dishes and two plates struck together loudly - I could feel the sound vibrating in my inner ear ;_; A few isolated loud sounds and headphone listening may have led to it. its been present for about a week now... :dry: I hope it goes away - haven't been able to listen to music since it started ringing...

Sorry to all who have tinnitus, I have been dealing with it for about 6 years now. It was terribly annoying at first and there is never a time I can't hear the hissing and ringing, but somehow I have learned to ignore it for the most part. There is no known cure, and any treatments are unproven - none of the things I have tried work.

It was mentioned earlier, the best way to cope with tinnitus is to always have sound in the background, just loud enough to drown out the tinnitus.

Walmart now stocks homeopathic ear drops that supposedly reduce ringing. If I'm trying to sleep & it's loud, I put my pinkies in my ears for 1-2 minutes, take them out & it's greatly reduced for a while.

Homeopathy: It's not the ingredients that cure, it's the number of times the ingredient was diluted. The less of the original ingredient, the better. In other words, homeopathic remedies are >99.99999999999999999999999999999999% water mixed with between zero and one molecule of bullshit.

I have a bunch of weird ear issues which sort-of come under tinnitus. I have a cholesteatoma in one ear, and in that ear I can normally hear a very low-pitched rumble, like what you'd get by leaning your head against the wall while you're sat on a train or plane. Might be "objective tinnitus", i.e. being able to hear my own blood flowing.

Also I have either patulous eustachian tubes or superior canal dehiscence in both ears, which means I constantly hear my own breathing in a Darth Vader like fashion, and a low-pitched echo of my own voice, both at dizzyingly loud volumes. Sounds from my body are apparently able to enter my middle ear and echo around it. I can "turn it off" for about 30mins at a time by sucking air out of my middle ear, but it always returns. Weird shit. I should make a track about it. If only I could sample it!

I have a bunch of weird ear issues which sort-of come under tinnitus. I have a cholesteatoma in one ear, and in that ear I can normally hear a very low-pitched rumble, like what you'd get by leaning your head against the wall while you're sat on a train or plane. Might be "objective tinnitus", i.e. being able to hear my own blood flowing.

Also I have either patulous eustachian tubes or superior canal dehiscence in both ears, which means I constantly hear my own breathing in a Darth Vader like fashion, and a low-pitched echo of my own voice, both at dizzyingly loud volumes. Sounds from my body are apparently able to enter my middle ear and echo around it. I can "turn it off" for about 30mins at a time by sucking air out of my middle ear, but it always returns. Weird shit. I should make a track about it. If only I could sample it!

wow! i hope you can recover from this. how did you develop it?

i guess i should count my blessings, because my new tinnitus is nearly gone! i turned off my fan at night, and the hours of "silence" seemed to have helped. also, some loud-ish acoustic music may have reset whatever brain feedback was present (or at least that's my hypothesis). yay.

i guess i should count my blessings, because my new tinnitus is nearly gone! i turned off my fan at night, and the hours of "silence" seemed to have helped. also, some loud-ish acoustic music may have reset whatever brain feedback was present (or at least that's my hypothesis). yay.

ye what is it about "brain feedback"? do you mind elaborating

I've had the PET/SCD my whole life (well, I remember having it when I was a toddler anyway). The cholesteatoma has developed over the last couple of years

That's weird that yours is set off by identifiable sounds/events, with most people it's just something that gradually comes and goes am I right?

ye what is it about "brain feedback"? do you mind elaborating

it's an idea from the autechre Q&A (i think it was sean). can't really explain it beyond this without finding the thread

I've had the PET/SCD my whole life (well, I remember having it when I was a toddler anyway). The cholesteatoma has developed over the last couple of years

That's weird that yours is set off by identifiable sounds/events, with most people it's just something that gradually comes and goes am I right?

i'm not exactly sure what most people experience with tinnitus. for me, certain sounds aggravate it.

i also have trouble hearing conversation in noisy environments like restaurants. i really should go see an audiologist eventually.

one too many noise shows, and at least a decade of music playing / production at unhealthy volume levels will do it. i think some musicians just have more durable ears, and it never bothers them.

So glad I don't have this condition. A favorite radio personality Ian Punnett has this so bad that he had to stop doing radio shows. I always wear protection when around loud noises. I want to hear well until death.

Ian Punnett and Coast to Coast are both extremely good imo. too bad that he left. There are some new hosts that just aren't the same...

mine comes and goes but i tend to get it the worst during silent times like when I'm on the computer and the only noise is the ambience from the air conditioning.

at first it feels like someone is walking up to me and then the piercing high sets in and i can pretty much fade it out by like somehow morphing the pitch to coalesce with another noise in the room.

A family member was doing dishes and two plates struck together loudly - I could feel the sound vibrating in my inner ear ;_; A few isolated loud sounds and headphone listening may have led to it. its been present for about a week now... :dry: I hope it goes away - haven't been able to listen to music since it started ringing...

I don't have any ringing, but I do have this phenomenon ("sharp" sounds like clicking plates causing scrapey feels in my ear) from time to time. It's pretty annoying, for sure.

But anyway, yeah, some resting of the ears might be in order for you. I find that helps me a lot with mine. Also (perhaps, hard to say), being well-rested, not too caffeinated, eating well, etc. You know, the usual crap.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Agree with the meditation / anti-inflammatory foodstuffs - anything that reduces your baseline anxiety will help, so MDMA isn't a long term solution.

I did read about sound therapy, which you can administer yourself through an app these days - just go about listening to your tunes as normal through one of the many smartphone apps https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/sound-therapy 

Watching this probably won't help, AT ALL

To be honest, a month ago when I thought that I will become deaf because the tinnitus was so strong, I watched this movie and it actually made me feel better.

Archived