IGNORED

Autechre live 2014

jhonny

Needed to register when I read the above comment.

First of all, I enjoy good music and I think I hear a lot, but not sure if I can call myself an audiophile.

Secondly, I was not among "drunk and drugged ones".

My impressions, I completely disagree with 'Jay'. Don't you realize that Warp co are a bunch of professionals who care about the quality of music they put out? I just could not believe, a band like AE could do a gig without a proper soundcheck. Just think man, it is utter rubbish what you write... Maybe you were inspired by the notes at the door, huh?

https://twitter.com/chacinski/status/513443515356176385/photo/1

To 'Jay' the the sound was 'completely indistinguishable muddy mess', but to me it was just plain beautiful. It wasn't typical 'loudness war' of a random rock/metal concert. It was meticulously crafted just pure low-end lushness. Based on soundpalette from Exai and L-Event, AE created a deep, bowel churning slab of low frequencies, rich in detail and depth. The music was constantly altering and morphing gaing new tones and colours. The sound design was PHENOMENAL! Never heard anything like that! Besides, the sound couldn't have been so bad if i was are able to chat with a friend to express our exaiment!

To cut short, it was unbeliaevable set. I woundn't mind if their next release would sound like this.

Still top form Rob and Sean!

I have been to many major concerts during my life. Big names, big productions (metal, jazz, pop, rock, electronic music). And only three of them all had good sound. Two of the three were Porcupine Tree once in Krakow and once in Vienna. The third was a jazz festival...

That is the reality of sound quality at live shows.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be funny to have the soundboard recording of the set and seeing you guys writing in the forum: "Oh! I don't even remember it was sounding like that! So many details in the set I have not noticed at the venue!"

They do usually write like that, it's not a jazz concert. And Sean head-bobs at everything.

Write like what? I don't understand. Can you explain, please?

Unfortunately, I have to be honest. I was (and still am) very disappointed by the AE gig in Krakow.

I am a massive AE fan. They are my favourite band/producers for many years. I have travelled from Prague and it cost me a lot of time and money. I was happy that I could experience them live for the first time.

When LFO started, it was great. The sound was ridiculously loud but clear enough to enjoy the actual music. So my expectations for AE was, sound-wise, according to that.

When AE started, after 10 seconds it was clear that this is not going to be good. It was a completely undistinguishable muddy mess. They have chosen to play a dense, complicated set based in low frequencies with a lot of subtle details in tonality, rhythms and dynamics and that completely killed it. This kind of set would be tricky to mix even in a proper studio environment and difficult to comprehend even on good headphones. The live engineer obviously wasn't prepared for that and neither AE was. The rhythm elements were completely buried in a constant clashing sine waves spanning from 100 to 250 Hz. Most of the set, you could hear literally nothing of the kick drum and all the details that were actually happening down there. Just those long sine wave tones sounding throughout the whole set without stopping. Therefore, the whole basic structure of the intended music was gone. The rest of the output haven't gave, naturally, any sense without it.

I have to admit that I am upset and disappointed that AE obviously haven't made any sound-checks and have not made sure that engineers know what to do. The audience, clearly, have not been listening to the intended output that night. They were listening to a very abstract, spinning noise while the actual complicated, yet rhythmical output was only heard by AE themselves from their monitoring and few of the people that blocked their ears. When I blocked my Alpine earplugs, I could get rid of a portion of that excessive bass and the rhythms could be heard. Still, far from ideal and obviously far from intended.

I realize that my impressions are probably going to be completely opposite against drunk and drugged ones' who were satisfied with anything loud and bassy enough that night.

I am sorry to say that, but I consider this AE set to be an amateur, irresponsible way of presenting themselves to the audience and, mainly, fans who paid a lot of money and some of them spent many hours travelling.

I honestly believed that AE are those audiophile kind of guys that would make their best to have the best sound possible. I have been to many major concerts during my life and this was truly one of the worst. I hope there is a soundboard recording of that set so I can actually enjoy the music.

I am really sorry to admit all of this and it hurts when I write it.

PS: To everyone without earplugs that night: You are fucking insane and I hope your ears will get over it with minimal problems.

Where the hell have you been standing??? This was the most perfect sounding gig I have ever been to!!! And I was in the front row just before Rob and Sean. And that's not the place that shoul sound the best at all. Not only best sounding gig but best sounding experience of my whole life.

It would be funny to have the soundboard recording of the set and seeing you guys writing in the forum: "Oh! I don't even remember it was sounding like that! So many details in the set I have not noticed at the venue!"

Probably this is true, but not due to being drunk&stoned. That's why Ae is magic - almost each time one listens to them, one hears something new! :)

Nothing personal, Jev! I donot mind sharing opinions, but asserting that they didn't do a soundcheck? This is just ridiculous!

Of course not due to being drunk and stoned. It would be due to the absence of clashing frequencies due to the poor acoustics and excessive loudness. Oh, and the sound system was amazing so it wasn't the culprit either. The uncontrolled bass was the actual culprit. Simple as that.

First of all, I enjoy good music and I think I hear a lot, but not sure if I can call myself an audiophile.

My impressions, I completely disagree with 'Jay'. Don't you realize that Warp co are a bunch of professionals who care about the quality of music they put out? I just could not believe, a band like AE could do a gig without a proper soundcheck. Just think man, it is utter rubbish what you write... Maybe you were inspired by the notes at the door, huh?

To 'Jay' the the sound was 'completely indistinguishable muddy mess', but to me it was just plain beautiful. It wasn't typical 'loudness war' of a random rock/metal concert. It was meticulously crafted just pure low-end lushness. Based on soundpalette from Exai and L-Event, AE created a deep, bowel churning slab of low frequencies, rich in detail and depth. The music was constantly altering and morphing gaing new tones and colours. The sound design was PHENOMENAL! Never heard anything like that! Besides, the sound couldn't have been so bad if i was are able to chat with a friend to express our exaiment!

To cut short, it was unbeliaevable set. I woundn't mind if their next release would sound like this.

I have been to many major concerts during my life. Big names, big productions (metal, jazz, pop, rock, electronic music). And only three of them all had good sound. Two of the three were Porcupine Tree once in Krakow and once in Vienna. The third was a jazz festival...

Then all the other concerts would have sounded bad as well, which wasn't the case.

The setup they have is still mostly the same that they are using since their Untilted tour, so they are accustomed to it. Also the material wasn't exactly brand new, but an extension of ideas and sounds they have been constantly shaping during their live sets over the past few years.

If memory serves me right, they even tour with their own sound engineer to ensure that everything sounds as it is intended. They also had a lot of stage monitors so that they exactly know what is going on on the main speakers.

I am not dissing your opinion, but insisting that there was no sound check or that there was something wrong with the sound system in general are pretty far fetched ideas.

Furthermore, there were a lot of people from warp and their booking manager who wouldn't allow that something isn't alright.

Unfortunately, I have to be honest. I was (and still am) very disappointed by the AE gig in Krakow.

I am a massive AE fan. They are my favourite band/producers for many years. I have travelled from Prague and it cost me a lot of time and money. I was happy that I could experience them live for the first time.

When LFO started, it was great. The sound was ridiculously loud but clear enough to enjoy the actual music. So my expectations for AE was, sound-wise, according to that.

When AE started, after 10 seconds it was clear that this is not going to be good. It was a completely undistinguishable muddy mess. They have chosen to play a dense, complicated set based in low frequencies with a lot of subtle details in tonality, rhythms and dynamics and that completely killed it. This kind of set would be tricky to mix even in a proper studio environment and difficult to comprehend even on good headphones. The live engineer obviously wasn't prepared for that and neither AE was. The rhythm elements were completely buried in a constant clashing sine waves spanning from 100 to 250 Hz. Most of the set, you could hear literally nothing of the kick drum and all the details that were actually happening down there. Just those long sine wave tones sounding throughout the whole set without stopping. Therefore, the whole basic structure of the intended music was gone. The rest of the output haven't gave, naturally, any sense without it.

I have to admit that I am upset and disappointed that AE obviously haven't made any sound-checks and have not made sure that engineers know what to do. The audience, clearly, have not been listening to the intended output that night. They were listening to a very abstract, spinning noise while the actual complicated, yet rhythmical output was only heard by AE themselves from their monitoring and few of the people that blocked their ears. When I blocked my Alpine earplugs, I could get rid of a portion of that excessive bass and the rhythms could be heard. Still, far from ideal and obviously far from intended.

I realize that my impressions are probably going to be completely opposite against drunk and drugged ones' who were satisfied with anything loud and bassy enough that night.

I am sorry to say that, but I consider this AE set to be an amateur, irresponsible way of presenting themselves to the audience and, mainly, fans who paid a lot of money and some of them spent many hours travelling.

I honestly believed that AE are those audiophile kind of guys that would make their best to have the best sound possible. I have been to many major concerts during my life and this was truly one of the worst. I hope there is a soundboard recording of that set so I can actually enjoy the music.

PS: To everyone without earplugs that night: You are fucking insane and I hope your ears will get over it with minimal problems.

Where the hell have you been standing??? This was the most perfect sounding gig I have ever been to!!! And I was in the front row just before Rob and Sean. And that's not the place that shoul sound the best at all. Not only best sounding gig but best sounding experience of my whole life.

Good for you, man. I wonder what would you say at the Porcupine Tree gig then. You would probably say that you were listening to the studio playback in an anechoic chamber or something...

And If you were in the front row, you have probably heard a bit from their monitoring system...

Good for you, man. I wonder what would you say at the Porcupine Tree gig then. You would probably say that you were listening to the studio playback in an anechoic chamber or something...

And If you were in the front row, you have probably heard a bit from their monitoring system...

I've seen Porcupine Tree two times (Vienna 2009 and Ostrava 2010) and they always sounded good. Not only good but great. I always have been a die hard fan of theirs btw. (Not so much SW solo retro thing) The sound of the gig was crystal clear and everything. But the Autechre gig in Krakow just... blew me away like nothing in life before.

Then all the other concerts would have sounded bad as well, which wasn't the case.

The setup they have is still mostly the same that they are using since their Untilted tour, so they are accustomed to it. Also the material wasn't exactly brand new, but an extension of ideas and sounds they have been constantly shaping during their live sets over the past few years.

If memory serves me right, they even tour with their own sound engineer to ensure that everything sounds as it is intended. They also had a lot of stage monitors so that they exactly know what is going on on the main speakers.

I am not dissing your opinion, but insisting that there was no sound check or that there was something wrong with the sound system in general are pretty far fetched ideas.

Furthermore, there were a lot of people from warp and their booking manager who wouldn't allow that something isn't alright.

With all respect, you don't seem to have much idea about sound, mixing, production and acoustics.

The reason why other artists that night sounded much better was simply because their composition was different. They used considerably less bass and had bigger frequency separation between individual elements so they were not clashing that much. They also head much more pronounced transients and peaks in their sounds (LFO's kick drum for example). So their music was much easier to mix live.

The setup they use has nothing to do with the actual acoustics they need to consider. And they obviously have not considered them enough or was not able to (I don't know).

Their monitoring, few centimetres from their ears, has no information value what so ever. It is a completely different experience than what audience experiences. The monitoring would also have a different frequency spectrum (also Sean admitted that he has to tweak his monitors to compensate for his hearing loss).

I did some acoustic research in the past because I was treating my studio and did some measurements and what I experienced on the gig was very similar to what I had in my studio. Loud bass frequencies in a closed space are tough to control and I know from my actual experience that that was what was actually happening at the venue. The bass was out of control, destroying the rest of the intended output. No monitoring or setup could fix this. Sorry.

I've seen Porcupine Tree two times (Vienna 2009 and Ostrava 2010) and they always sounded good. Not only good but great. I always have been a die hard fan of theirs btw. (Not so much SW solo retro thing) The sound of the gig was crystal clear and everything. But the Autechre gig in Krakow just... blew me away like nothing in life before.

The only thing I was blown away by at the Ae gig was the loudness and power of the sound. But I could not hear the actual composition. I consider them to be absolutely exceptional in composing and therefore was very disappointed. I was not going to the gig to listen to the muddy loudness and sine waves. I wanted to hear the actual music that they have composed for the night. You simply can't perform 1 1 is with such horrible acoustics and bass out of control. It is not going to work. If you want to play dense, micro-detailed mixes like that, you have to have an exceptional sound. Otherwise it will be just mud.

Trying to ignore this debate, but it's making me cringe too much. I've been a front of house mixer for about 10 years and I thought there was nothing to complain about with the sound or the acoustics, it was exactly what I was expecting from Ae.... To me that the ringing out resonant kicks and low ends were entirely intentional and made sense...

Trying to ignore this debate, but it's making me cringe too much. I've been a front of house mixer for about 10 years and I thought there was nothing to complain about with the sound or the acoustics, it was exactly what I was expecting from Ae.... To me that the ringing out resonant kicks and low ends were entirely intentional and made sense...

How could it be intentional when it sounded completely different with blocked ears? Are you aware of the fact that there were actually complex rhythms happening under all the muddiness?

A similar example would be LFO that night, playing those ridiculous kick-drum-machine-gun-bursts sounding like sine waves due to the acoustics. Would that be intentional too? I don't think so. Intentional would be to play the sine wave instead of kick drum bursts, don't you think?

How could it be intentional when it sounded completely different with blocked ears? Are you aware of the fact that there were actually complex rhythms happening under all the muddiness?

A similar example would be LFO that night, playing those ridiculous kick-drum-machine-gun-bursts sounding like sine waves due to the acoustics. Would that be intentional too? I don't think so. Intentional would be to play the sine wave instead of kick drum bursts, don't you think?

Yeah I could hear the complex rhythms perfectly well... I didn't really experience anything like what you are describing, so I can't really debate this... It's a shame that you experienced that... I wasn't wearing earplugs because of all the damage I've done over the years, so maybe that worked in my favour?!

Yeah I could hear the complex rhythms perfectly well... I didn't really experience anything like what you are describing, so I can't really debate this... It's a shame that you experienced that... I wasn't wearing earplugs because of all the damage I've done over the years, so maybe that worked in my favour?!

I also wasn't wearing the plugs for the Autechre gig (only) and I could hear every single detail in the production. The sound was absolutely crystal clear with a massive low end vibrating just above the floor.

I also wasn't wearing the plugs for the Autechre gig (only) and I could hear every single detail in the production. The sound was absolutely crystal clear with a massive low end vibrating just above the floor.

I believe in your case you have heard a bit from their monitoring system. That could do the trick.

Well, because we have no recording of the gig, we can only speculate what each of us have actually heard. I am glad you have enjoyed the gig. I just wish I was satisfied too. I am definitely being emotional about it. But as I said, I was very disappointed sound-wise by almost every single concert I have been to, so...

Ha ha, it sounds completely different to what I heard that night. That is the exact thing I was talking about. The actual output is completely different to the live experience. Thanks for sharing these.

EDIT: And it sounds great music-wise. Shame I was not able to hear it like that on the spot...

I believe in your case you have heard a bit from their monitoring system. That could do the trick.

Not possible in my case. I was standing/dancing 4-5 metres from the scene almost in the middle and sound was crystaelclaer!

Not possible in my case. I was standing/dancing 4-5 metres from the scene almost in the middle and sound crystaelclaer!

You can only rate the actual quality of the sound if you are able to compare it with the source, you know? So it is very subjective thing to say that the sound was crystal clear. Have you tried to block your ears that night and compare the "source" with the situation in the room? I did and it was completely different.

Oh and we were probably very close to each other then.

It is possible.

Ha ha, it sounds completely different to what I heard that night. That is the exact thing I was talking about. The actual output is completely different to the live experience. Thanks for sharing these.

EDIT: And it sounds great music-wise. Shame I was not able to hear it like that on the spot...

Wait a second.

So you are telling me, that a phone recording of the output of the PA that sounded bad in your opinion sounds alright?

Archived