IGNORED

Autechre live 2014

jhonny

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys, the show was fucking C R A Z Y !!! I've never heard anything like it (this was my first Ae gig ever). Imagine Exai/L-event + Gantz Graf + Untilted with sound so bass heavy and similar to Emptyset. I was in a trance while they were playing, my eyes were closed. It was absolutely stunning and mindblowing. And the sound! I seriously never heard before sound so perfect. I've heard every single detail hidden in the music. And that bass vibrating through my body! I WANT THIS AGAIN! This shit is better than drugs! It was seriously the most important sonic experience of my life. I've seen most of my fav bands live before but nothing compares to what I've seen and heard in Krakow!

1000364_10202892065850162_64397447988861

Btw. I've recorded the whole thing. The recording is very poor. I mean the bass is very distorted at places. I'm trying to master it now. I don't know how appropriate is to share that thing tho. I've PMed Sean so let's see if and what he'll reply.

Well guys, the show was fucking C R A Z Y !!! I've never heard anything like it (this was my first Ae gig ever). Imagine Exai/L-event + Gantz Graf + Untilted with sound so bass heavy and similar to Emptyset. I was in a trance while they were playing, my eyes were closed. It was absolutely stunning and mindblowing. And the sound! I seriously never heard before sound so perfect. I've heard every single detail hidden in the music. And that bass vibrating through my body! I WANT THIS AGAIN! This shit is better than drugs! It was seriously the most important sonic experience of my life. I've seen most of my fav bands live before but nothing compares to what I've seen and heard in Krakow!

1000364_10202892065850162_64397447988861

Btw. I've recorded the whole thing. The recording is very poor. I mean the bass is very distorted at places. I'm trying to master it now. I don't know how appropriate is to share that thing tho. I've PMed Sean so let's see if and what he'll reply.

I'll take poor recording over no recording any day

I don't know why, but I thought it would be a good idea to set my phone to voice record and then I put it in my pocket for the last 35 minutes.... It sounds so wretchedly bad... Listening to it now it is pretty much 90% distortion :( Need a decent recording!!!

Dude, they've gone on record before about bootlegs. They don't mind people sharing bootlegs.

gimme-gimme-GIF.gif

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 ...

also: seriously considering travel to utrecht in november now, too!

[youtubehd]NCjOtk33MhI[/youtubehd]

Unfortunately, I have to be honest. I was (and still am) very disappointed by the AE gig in Krakow.

I am a massive AE fan. They are my favourite band/producers for many years. I have travelled from Prague and it cost me a lot of time and money. I was happy that I could experience them live for the first time.

When LFO started, it was great. The sound was ridiculously loud but clear enough to enjoy the actual music. So my expectations for AE was, sound-wise, according to that.

When AE started, after 10 seconds it was clear that this is not going to be good. It was a completely undistinguishable muddy mess. They have chosen to play a dense, complicated set based in low frequencies with a lot of subtle details in tonality, rhythms and dynamics and that completely killed it. This kind of set would be tricky to mix even in a proper studio environment and difficult to comprehend even on good headphones. The live engineer obviously wasn't prepared for that and neither AE was. The rhythm elements were completely buried in a constant clashing sine waves spanning from 100 to 250 Hz. Most of the set, you could hear literally nothing of the kick drum and all the details that were actually happening down there. Just those long sine wave tones sounding throughout the whole set without stopping. Therefore, the whole basic structure of the intended music was gone. The rest of the output haven't gave, naturally, any sense without it.

I have to admit that I am upset and disappointed that AE obviously haven't made any sound-checks and have not made sure that engineers know what to do. The audience, clearly, have not been listening to the intended output that night. They were listening to a very abstract, spinning noise while the actual complicated, yet rhythmical output was only heard by AE themselves from their monitoring and few of the people that blocked their ears. When I blocked my Alpine earplugs, I could get rid of a portion of that excessive bass and the rhythms could be heard. Still, far from ideal and obviously far from intended.

I realize that my impressions are probably going to be completely opposite against drunk and drugged ones' who were satisfied with anything loud and bassy enough that night.

I am sorry to say that, but I consider this AE set to be an amateur, irresponsible way of presenting themselves to the audience and, mainly, fans who paid a lot of money and some of them spent many hours travelling.

I honestly believed that AE are those audiophile kind of guys that would make their best to have the best sound possible. I have been to many major concerts during my life and this was truly one of the worst. I hope there is a soundboard recording of that set so I can actually enjoy the music.

I am really sorry to admit all of this and it hurts when I write it.

PS: To everyone without earplugs that night: You are fucking insane and I hope your ears will get over it with minimal problems.

The rhythm elements were completely buried in a constant clashing sine waves spanning from 100 to 250 Hz.

Just those long sine wave tones sounding throughout the whole set without stopping.

very abstract, spinning noise

Sounds awesome to me. :emotawesomepm9::music::emotawesomepm9::music:

And the sound! I seriously never heard before sound so perfect. I've heard every single detail hidden in the music.

It was a completely undistinguishable muddy mess. The live engineer obviously wasn't prepared for that and neither AE was. The rhythm elements were completely buried in a constant clashing sine waves spanning from 100 to 250 Hz. Most of the set, you could hear literally nothing of the kick drum and all the details that were actually happening down there. Just those long sine wave tones sounding throughout the whole set without stopping.

:cerious:

The rhythm elements were completely buried in a constant clashing sine waves spanning from 100 to 250 Hz.

Just those long sine wave tones sounding throughout the whole set without stopping.

very abstract, spinning noise

Sounds awesome to me. :emotawesomepm9::music::emotawesomepm9::music:

If you mean something like Exai and L-Event by that statement of yours then I can assure you it wasn't anything like it. It was a random non-sense (every single track in Ae's discography gives sense to me) and it was clearly not supposed to sound like that.

And the sound! I seriously never heard before sound so perfect. I've heard every single detail hidden in the music.

It was a completely undistinguishable muddy mess. The live engineer obviously wasn't prepared for that and neither AE was. The rhythm elements were completely buried in a constant clashing sine waves spanning from 100 to 250 Hz. Most of the set, you could hear literally nothing of the kick drum and all the details that were actually happening down there. Just those long sine wave tones sounding throughout the whole set without stopping.

:cerious:

Yeah. What can I say.

I was even changing places in the room in order to find a sweet spot but without much success. I started right in the middle face-to-face to Ae's position on the stage and then moved to the side where the room was more open. It was a bit better then, but the bass is a non-directional sound so it wasn't helping much.

I think they would be insulted if you called them audiophiles

I am pretty sure they are audiophiles because of their studio output. Their actions and decisions are making them audiophiles. No other band I know has such a huge amount of deliberate and perfectly balanced details in their music.

I have to admit that I am upset and disappointed that AE obviously haven't made any sound-checks and have not made sure that engineers know what to do.

This is next-level trolling. Rob and Sean were at the venue already on friday (i've seen them personally) like a lot of other bands. I have heard Battles soundcheck for over an hour.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound. It was dense for sure but it was 100% the way that they intended.

Needed to register when I read the above comment.

First of all, I enjoy good music and I think I hear a lot, but not sure if I can call myself an audiophile.

Secondly, I was not among "drunk and drugged ones".

My impressions, I completely disagree with 'Jay'. Don't you realize that Warp co are a bunch of professionals who care about the quality of music they put out? I just could not believe, a band like AE could do a gig without a proper soundcheck. Just think man, it is utter rubbish what you write... Maybe you were inspired by the notes at the door, huh?

https://twitter.com/chacinski/status/513443515356176385/photo/1

To 'Jay' the the sound was 'completely indistinguishable muddy mess', but to me it was just plain beautiful. It wasn't typical 'loudness war' of a random rock/metal concert. It was meticulously crafted just pure low-end lushness. Based on soundpalette from Exai and L-Event, AE created a deep, bowel churning slab of low frequencies, rich in detail and depth. The music was constantly altering and morphing gaing new tones and colours. The sound design was PHENOMENAL! Never heard anything like that! Besides, the sound couldn't have been so bad if i was are able to chat with a friend to express our exaiment!

To cut short, it was unbeliaevable set. I woundn't mind if their next release would sound like this.

Still top form Rob and Sean!

Oh well, here we go. I should have expected that it is "prohibited" to criticize Ae on this forum.

Sorry guys, those are just my personal impressions and opinions. I am sorry it offended you.

I have to admit that I am upset and disappointed that AE obviously haven't made any sound-checks and have not made sure that engineers know what to do.

This is next-level trolling. Rob and Sean were at the venue already on friday (i've seen them personally) like a lot of other bands. I have heard Battles soundcheck for over an hour.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound. It was dense for sure but it was 100% the way that they intended.

If it was 100% the way they intended, why there was Sean head-bobbing to the rhythm when no rhythm or rhythm section was heard? Was he listening to the metronome or something? And why there was the kick drum at all in the composition? According to what you say the kick drum should not have been supposed to be there at all because when I blocked my ears, I could suddenly hear the kick and the rhythm in there. Strange, isn't it?

It would be funny to have the soundboard recording of the set and seeing you guys writing in the forum: "Oh! I don't even remember it was sounding like that! So many details in the set I have not noticed at the venue!"

It would be funny to have the soundboard recording of the set and seeing you guys writing in the forum: "Oh! I don't even remember it was sounding like that! So many details in the set I have not noticed at the venue!"

Probably this is true, but not due to being drunk&stoned. That's why Ae is magic - almost each time one listens to them, one hears something new! :)

Nothing personal, Jev! I donot mind sharing opinions, but asserting that they didn't do a soundcheck? This is just ridiculous!

They do usually write like that, it's not a jazz concert. And Sean head-bobs at everything.

Archived