Harp recordings, how do i mix/treat it ?

hi guys, i need some nerd help here,

just got a harp recording from a friend, she recorded at her home with bad devices, the sounds isn't that bad finally but i just can't have this brightness shine, so far it's moody on 300/600hz and tried to compress a bit, doesn't seem to work well

first time i work on a harp recording,

anyone done this ?

i'd like to get close to this

but with more high end

I would recommend a few EQ's working in different hz and a tiny bit of reverb + some panning device (stereo imager) + a compressor.

EQ'ing harps and acoustic instruments tends to take time... lots of time. You sit there for hours and turn the knobs slightly slightly to achieve what you look for.

GL

thx GL

this is basicaly what i was doin,

i've found that aprox 490hz is a bad range and should be cut,

as for the 3.1Khz is great

still lot of work to do and hard hours for me : /

Ran it through a few meters and I think I've cracked it - there's no stereo spacing at all. As soon as I whacked in a pseudo stereo plugin and increased the spacing/haas value the clarity of the track started to come in - a slight parametric curve cutting some of the 100-500hz range and the a gentle wide boost ~7khz seems to make things a little bit sharper too. If you're feeling fruity you could whack in a transient shaper too to emphasise the plucking (http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewares/bittersweet-v3)

If you have reaper, here's a quick chain of the setup I used. It's not 100% but I haven't got access to my proper soundcard/headphone setup at the mo (remove the .txt in the file name, it won't let me attach a .rfxchain file here)

harp chain.RfxChain.txt

I'd try some gentle shaping with that wonderful sounding (yet free) EQ. A dB or two can go a long way with that one, and I don't think that harp needs much more than that.

And then I'd add a tiny, tiny bit of reverb.

You can also try a gate/expander with a very gentle slope in the signal chain (before or after the reverb, it's up to you), to tighten up the transients.

Ps: it might be obvious to you, but avoid any kind of surgical cuts if possible : it'll create more issues than it will solve, especially on that kind of material.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rpeg
      Here's tonight's show at The Social recorded on a Sony ICD-SX1000 with soundman binaural mics. I'm pretty happy with the quality besides a heinous amount of audience chatter.

But, man, what a night. It was as much a physical experience as an aural one, and my eyes were closed nearly the whole time. We felt shaken and assaulted walking out of the venue. It definitely sounded like Exai further explored, extraordinarily rhythmic and consistently dance-able - at least way more than I predicted it would be. Feeling it in my throat is on quite another level.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

The file is 320kbps, 60 min 16 sec

This is my first 'bootleg', and I forgot to switch to .wav so this is the highest quality available.
      Autechre - Orlando 2015-10-10 (Live).mp3
    • By Salvatorin
      I had a chance some weeks ago to sesh with some amazing people. Ron Veliz, a san fransisco session musician who lives here was on guitar. he is a badass but only plays if good enough people are in town and it just so happened that the drummer, josh costello, invited his old friend who is a professional 'piano battler' nick schlueter from st. louis to town... I was on bass, electric guitar and electric upright, both which are in pretty shit shape so my pitch is very liberal.
      anyhow I recorded some sessions with my yeti blue stereo mic and they turned out pretty good!
      I of course mixed and eq'd the recordings liberally to get them the way sound here.
      As I remember, I split each recording into left and right and then eq'd, added a bussed stereo width and compressed.
      check it out.

super fun pop samba:

fusion-y take on naima:

skip to 5:10 for some fucking brilliant group synergy and piano solo

some funky shit, this one was at a party so the sound is not as good:

this last one is a crazy loop from a vamp we hit while riffing on an altered fly me to the moon:

thanks for listening and give me feedback on how you think I did on my mixdowns.

• By TubularCorporation
      I've been really psyched on M/S processing lately, and I'd love to hear about any tips, gear, anecdotes, sordid rumors or whatever you all might have!

It's pretty basic, but I've had a lot of direct to stereo hardware jams piling up, and usually the mixes are pretty rough in places. I've had a lot of luck boosting the lows, usually somewhere down in the 60-200 range, a couple DB on the mid channel while rolling them off gently on the side and adding just a bit of clipping (usually with the Klanghelm SDRR). I've found I can usually get away with a lot less EQ and can compress the mix more aggressively without it sounding too squashed. Good for bringing out more detail in recordings of practices and shows, too.
    • Guest kymppinetti
      By Guest kymppinetti
      Short noobish question here: do you guys prefer recording via USB audio interface or do you just connect mixer audio out into computer audio in etc. and that way record your, what ever you record? Why do you use the other? Or are you into both ways? If you know what I mean.

In advance, thank you for you replices. If I get any that is. :)

• Guest cycleamusic
      By Guest cycleamusic
      Bandcamp link: https://cyclea.bandcamp.com/album/zeropisces

Kathy Fay (Bell Toll) - Harp aeropagetica.com
      Jonathan Jindra (Cyclea) - Electronics https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cyclea/1498205673802068?fref=ts
      Artwork by Nina Marinick www.facebook.com/nina.marinick
      Download includes 'Of The Moon' Music Video

'Of the Moon' Music Video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AWvCZpcrUM