IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

did anyone mention the romanesco broccoli yet

also the deja vu kind of annoyed me after the movie but on the level of like freaking LEGEND OF ZELDA is the same thing every friggin time. Also the shakycam shots of stormtroopers shooting at the protagonists kind of messed up the atmosphere a bit

I thought han solo would just like do something for 2 minutes of the movie and leave. Didn't realize he'd be such a significant character in film

the cgi aliens didn't bother me really, maybe computer animation has gotten good enough to the point i dun care/not jarring (no jarjar lolol), i dunno

basically it IS the plinkett reviews, where he's like 'how do you mess up a star wars sequel???? it'slike messing up mashed potatoes (you boil the water you pour thehtthepacket)'

and yeah this was not worse than the fricking prequels. The prequels were sterile and weird compared to this, this had like enthusiasm and people actually acting and some good mayhem. I wasn't expecting the freaking meaning of life doods

the scene where she's exploring the abandoned space thing (was that supposed to be the ruins of the death star or something obvious I'm stupid) was pretty evocative of something. Felt really immersed in that scene

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

basically it IS the plinkett reviews, where he's like 'how do you mess up a star wars sequel???? it'slike messing up mashed potatoes (you boil the water you pour thehtthepacket)'

hahaha. was joking about this first time seeing it. can just imagine all the disney execs emailing it to each other and saying "you gotta watch this... ignore all the rape humour".

I got the Star Wars X-Wing miniatures game for Christmas and it's great, one of those where I have to be careful because I'll spend my rent money on the Millennium Falcon.

the people in this thread complaining about it being a kids movie or feeling like a commercialized product are serious nerf-herders and bantha pudus. star wars has ALWAYS been a product and has ALWAYS skewed to young audiences; a family film! It's not designed as a challenging artistic meditation for serious cinemaphiles over 30.

while i could certainly be very nitpicky about things i didn't like, I think without a doubt this film is FAR more enjoyable with better acting and pacing than ANY marvel movie I've seen, *possibly* save the first iron man, which was the film that got us into this fucking mess in the first place.

I've seen in now twice, once on opening night in IMAX 3D which was shitty and I was also nervous about lone gunmen so i couldn't focus. saw it again in 2d but still big screen and it was fantastic. loved it. some flaws but this is what i want to see in the theater. will post more later

I've seen in now twice, once on opening night in IMAX 3D which was shitty and I was also nervous about lone gunmen so i couldn't focus.

nothing to do with star wars but i often get intrusive thoughts about somebody shooting up the place when I'm in the cinema. does this mean the terrorists have won?

i agree with the rest of what you said too.

Guest bitroast

i for one still think its possible to not like the new film, while still liking the original films, and not be a nerfherder : >

even if 4, 5 n 6 are kids/family films, theyre still at least original / inspired fantasy films cobbled together in the 70s n 80s. which for me is one of the "coolest" and most interesting times in cinema. new film is everything it needed to be and most importantly delivered emotions and fun characters... but it still kind of feels more like a fun park ride based on A New Hope than an actual new film in the series.

again. i not a nerfherder. i wanna make that explicitely clear.

Still haven't seen it. Dunno if I need to see it in the theater.

lol.

first screening i got was in tiny, late night cinema, in an attempt to avoiding the talking/wooping/kids galore crowds. managed to be sitting in a near empty row of seats with 2 talking girls to the left of me rustling around with bags and plastic noises the whole time.

thought, fuckit. i wanna watch it again. this time, decided to go full IMMERSIVE and see it at the imax. managed to score tickets right next to a kid who was rolling around in seat, waving toy lightsaber around and openly talking throughout whole film and engaging in conversation with his dad who was agreeing and talking about / encouraging him to talk / etc.etc.

+ the 3D looks shit. during the cgi scenes / space shots / ships flying scenes, it looks pretty great and difficult to fault. but when it's shots with people forefront and center it just looks so bad. you can actually look at the persons outline and see the botch job of transferring the 2D image into 3D. AVOID 3D !!!

if you can hold out from seeing it at cinema = good move. !!!

holds out

I'm probably the only reg. that hasn't seen it. Mayhaps

Guest bitroast

been really enjoying reading about the drafts for Star Wars Sequel after the original 1977 film.

there's two main drafts/storys to read from.

one is the novel by Alan Dean Foster called Splinter of the Mind's Eye, written as a story outline for a possible lowbudget sequel in the event the first film wasn't financially successful. didn't have harrison ford signed for a sequel yet so the story focuses on luke + leia crashing landing on a jungle planet and in search of a force enhancing red crystal, which darth vader is also in search of. + hints of apparent luke and leia sexual tension ?? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye

secondly, there's a script called STAR WARS SEQUEL, written by Leigh Brackett.

this one gets pretty wacky and again seems to establish the idea that most of the star wars universe wasn't exactly figured out but more made up as the films were being made.

http://scyfilove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Star-Wars-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-Brackett-Draft.pdf

there a countless web articles summarizing the two if you search for them, etc. - http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-wars/251045/star-wars-dissecting-leigh-bracketts-rough-draft-for-the-empire-strikes-back

check out the cover for Splinter of the Mind's Eye, as painted by star wars concept artist / matte painter ralph mcquarrie ..

byBuOxQ.jpg

I'm probably the only reg. that hasn't seen it. Mayhaps

Haven't seen it. Just watched spoiler scenes of the end. Heh. I'll catch it on tv in a few years.

Another fucking death star?!

Oh, it's a spinoff set before a new hope.

Oh man, just noticed the trees. Finally a third (fourth including ROTJ) Ewok movie. Be still my heart!

Rogue One details starting to emerge:

819BD809-EE68-4040-9C90-C36328D0C3B4_zps

http://movieweb.com/rogue-one-star-wars-character-story-set-details/

This character is said to be a scientist who took over the Geonosian Death Star project, solving several of the space station's key flaws.

flol outstanding work Mads

Great cast tbh

man, does the death star have something written in it's contract that it has to appear in 50% of star wars flicks?

lol.

also with that poster I can feel the upcoming over saturation of the force.

while i could certainly be very nitpicky about things i didn't like, I think without a doubt this film is FAR more enjoyable with better acting and pacing than ANY marvel movie I've seen, *possibly* save the first iron man, which was the film that got us into this fucking mess in the first place.

I want to kinda derrail from here, whatever is happening to the movie industry? All I see or hear about is in some shape or form a remake, reboot or re-something of something old.

Are they afraid to try something new? Is it simply because it's safe to use old formats that are sure to work? Or is it just me that has been living under a rock for too long and hasn't seen the "new, original" things.

I'd really like to discuss this, since to me it seems to be a current trend in a lot of media, maybe it's just me.

man, does the death star have something written in it's contract that it has to appear in 50% of star wars flicks?

Death Star has the best agent in Hollywood. He's the new spokesman for Weight Watchers.

Really off topic, basically it goes like this: reboots, sequels and remakes bring in more money than anything else Hollywood produces. The surviving big Hollywood studios these days are based on capitalism, not artistic vision. So Hollywood end up making the stuff most people are willing to pay top dollar to see.

Which unfortunately is junk. Thankfully some of that cash is funneled into making smaller, better films. It's our own fault.

Really off topic, basically it goes like this: reboots, sequels and remakes bring in more money than anything else Hollywood produces. The surviving big Hollywood studios these days are based on capitalism, not artistic vision. So Hollywood end up making the stuff most people are willing to pay top dollar to see.

Which unfortunately is junk. Thankfully some of that cash is funneled into making smaller, better films. It's our own fault.

thanks, and yeah sorry - maybe should start another thread..

is the same with most things in the end innit? music for starts, whatever seems to keep most people happy

I want to kinda derrail from here, whatever is happening to the movie industry? All I see or hear about is in some shape or form a remake, reboot or re-something of something old.

Are they afraid to try something new? Is it simply because it's safe to use old formats that are sure to work? Or is it just me that has been living under a rock for too long and hasn't seen the "new, original" things.

I'd really like to discuss this, since to me it seems to be a current trend in a lot of media, maybe it's just me.

It is a result of modern corporate culture and when you hire business graduates rather than entrepreneurs and auteurs you get, job defending, seat warming, paper pushers that don't want to risk jack. Then there's the fact that as we are at end game capitalism now, we have all the companies consolidated under the umbrella of a few vast media conglomerates, so independent thought and risk, is discouraged, even despised. As I've been saying for years, eventually the people will make their own films, as you can creat virtual worlds for virtually no cost beyond time, all the assets will be online pre built and free and able to be mixed into your shots, whilst environments for locations will be created generatively. Even acting, and that is coming online now, acting can be done by the creators themselves, with voices modulated any way that you want and facial movement inputted through simple and cheap cameras. Then it's fuck the studios, no more terrible marvel films, having our pop culture raped by talentless sheisters for a quick buck.

You could say that they've trained the public to not risk watching stuff that isn't already vouched for, but we've seen new IP be embraced, from Harry Potter to James Cameron's avatar and those fem teen trilogies that have been plaguing the screen the last ten years. And as I've stated in the past, shit movies have always been a staple, the problem is that big budgets aren't being put towards the top line good filmmaking anymore, due to nepotism and that risk aversion thing I was on about.

Aren't movies set in the real world remakes and reboots as well anyway ? Love stories, banditism, etc...

I don't care much for universes being "rehashed" as long as they let good plots take place with good characters and good filming. There's at least two of the latter in this movie.

Archived