IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

I reckon Richard is a pain in the ass to try and 'manage' and he probably gives Warp loads of misdirection and confusion and they just assign him CAT numbers and wait for him to finally send them something and say 'go go!' - after years of calling him and asking him you would just give up. I doubt either are going anywhere so why would there be a rush?

Why didnt Aphex just forbid him to sample Avril 14th he has the rhights or does warp own them ???

I would sue the shit out of K.W.

People are paid to spot samples, sort sample clearance, scoot around sample clearance, solve sample clearance lawsuits.

So at some point someone woulda been like 'aye mr phex Kanye has got an eye on avril 14th' and he said 'pay me £X ($)_($)' so they went back and Kanye's team replayed it so they could use it without his permission, and it didn't go to plan, Aphex got a credit and some money, or maybe none, or maybe he didn't care.

Most probably he viewed the correspondence with a pinch of salty irony.

For some reason I can't quote or copy paste right now (wtf)

anyway. jhonny's post toward the top of this page is how I've felt. I don't know anyone who is really into Aphex. People I know are "into" aphex but are only like "oh cool new album" and have never heard the youtube clips. Only had one friend a while back who would cream over every new analord release. Somehow he has no internet presence and the only way to contact him is by phone.

-Anyway. I am in the same boat. I was excited with all the YT copyright stuff but had no one to tell. no one who would understand. :(

Also thanks to Jason. I love your YT channel too

Edited by colunga

I reckon Richard is a pain in the ass to try and 'manage' and he probably gives Warp loads of misdirection and confusion and they just assign him CAT numbers and wait for him to finally send them something and say 'go go!' - after years of calling him and asking him you would just give up. I doubt either are going anywhere so why would there be a rush?

Yeah just remember 2009/2010 when Steve Beckett said an Aphex album was coming out... :cisfor:

For some reason I can't quote or copy paste right now (wtf)

anyway. jhonny's post toward the top of this page is how I've felt. I don't know anyone who is really into Aphex. People I know are "into" aphex but are only like "oh cool new album" and have never heard the youtube clips. Only had one friend a while back who would cream over every new analord release. Somehow he has no internet presence and the only way to contact him is by phone.

-Anyway. I am in the same boat. I was excited with all the YT copyright stuff but had no one to tell. no one who would understand. :(

Also thanks to Jason. I love your YT channel too

Are you running some kind of macro or program at the same time? Sometimes that'll disable copy and paste.

Yeah I've only got a couple of friends who are properly into RDJ. The good thing about this album and the tracks we know to be on it is that I expect a lot more people to fall in love with RDJ once it's out.

Well, if you want to breakdown what was said it goes thusly,

Kanye sampled the track, and people started communicating with Richard. Probably to get some kind of clearance. Richard has to give the A.O.K. and then payments go through or whatever and it's all good.

Richard says, "wow you did a shit job on that sample. Let me fix it for you." Kanye, being the egomaniac that he is, takes offense to this. He probably heard it through his people as he didn't seem to have direct communication with Richard. So, that probably exacerbates the issue.

Kanye is a little irked. Ok, let's just get someone to replay it because you know. He has offended me, and he is also right. So someone plays it and they listen to it. Legal team says, "We can probably get around paying for this as long we make it different enough."

Eventually you know. Someone probably came to their senses, and decided it was best to just pay the man and credit him. Or Richard's legal team threatened or whatever.

Either way, if you listen to the track I'm pretty sure that they've changed some notes from the original. Probably in an effort to keep from crediting and paying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rndo8VOQuA

Anyway, that's what I gathered from what was said.

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

and also I dont believe Warp wasnt pushing him for release its just unrealistic in many ways.

I think that it's reasonable to suppose that Warp might hassle Aphex for material, but I also think that there is good reason for them to *not* hassle him. For one thing, when great artists release material more sporadically like this, it helps to generate interest in the fan base, which becomes infectious to the more general public. It's like the rubber-necking phenomenon on the highway when there are lots of cop cars and flashing lights--people who are normally not invested become interested. Likewise, when the general public sees a small subset of the group going apeshit because of a new release from an artist they love, the typical non-fan becomes interested somewhat and has the potential to become a new fan, too.

Also, I'd imagine there is a delicate psychological game going on here: I can't imagine how difficult it must be to handle a group of super-talented artists. I know it's a stereotype, but gifted artists tend to have a reputation for having unique emotional and pyschological quirks. As someone on the Warp team, you probably don't want to ruin a relationship with one of those artists. So I'd imagine they think very carefully about asking for new material: they probably even take a hands-off approach. I'd expect that if I were an artist on this roster, I'd want to not be smothered or nagged, at any rate. Warp probably expects that this is how their artists feel, too.

and also I dont believe Warp wasnt pushing him for release its just unrealistic in many ways.

I think that it's reasonable to suppose that Warp might hassle Aphex for material, but I also think that there is good reason for them to *not* hassle him. For one thing, when great artists release material more sporadically like this, it helps to generate interest in the fan base, which becomes infectious to the more general public. It's like the rubber-necking phenomenon on the highway when there are lots of cop cars and flashing lights--people who are normally not invested become interested. Likewise, when the general public sees a small subset of the group going apeshit because of a new release from an artist they love, the typical non-fan becomes interested somewhat and has the potential to become a new fan, too.

Also, I'd imagine there is a delicate psychological game going on here: I can't imagine how difficult it must be to handle a group of super-talented artists. I know it's a stereotype, but gifted artists tend to have a reputation for having unique emotional and pyschological quirks. As someone on the Warp team, you probably don't want to ruin a relationship with one of those artists. So I'd imagine they think very carefully about asking for new material: they probably even take a hands-off approach. I'd expect that if I were an artist on this roster, I'd want to not be smothered or nagged, at any rate. Warp probably expects that this is how their artists feel, too.

There is no evidence to suggest that Richard has unique emotional and psychological quirks.

maybe the answer lies within this interview also dont want to exaggerate but i think we should honor steve beckett a little bit more.
thx steve beckett for signing this sick artists and keeping Warp alive.Amen break.

http://vimeo.com/30563137

Edited by Kavinsky

There is no evidence to suggest that Richard has unique emotional and psychological quirks.

Got me there. I guess we need to wait and find out more about this mystery man behind "The Aphex Twins" before we jump to any conclusions.

Kanye sampled the track, and people started communicating with Richard. Probably to get some kind of clearance. Richard has to give the A.O.K. and then payments go through or whatever and it's all good.

Richard says, "wow you did a shit job on that sample. Let me fix it for you." Kanye, being the egomaniac that he is, takes offense to this. He probably heard it through his people as he didn't seem to have direct communication with Richard. So, that probably exacerbates the issue.

Kanye is a little irked. Ok, let's just get someone to replay it because you know. He has offended me, and he is also right. So someone plays it and they listen to it. Legal team says, "We can probably get around paying for this as long we make it different enough."

Eventually you know. Someone probably came to their senses, and decided it was best to just pay the man and credit him. Or Richard's legal team threatened or whatever.

Either way, if you listen to the track I'm pretty sure that they've changed some notes from the original. Probably in an effort to keep from crediting and paying.

Mike Dean, a producer who works with Kanye said he didn't sample Aphex, he played it himself. Mike Dean that is, not Yeezus.

forum thread below (to be believed or not)

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=864145.msg45246993#msg45246993

another guy made a good point about what Mike Dean supposedly played though

Izeytope96 said 2 months ago:

This might be a direct sample after all. Here's Ken Lewis talking about this sample: "They had me do a recreation of the piano from"Avril The 14th" by Aphex Twin for the song "Blame Game", but i dont think they used it (or they didnt credit me, not sure). Actually the hardest recreations are often the most simple bare ones, especially of live instruments, because there is absolutely zero room for error and nothing else to mask other frequencies. Piano is especially hard to recreate. if you can imagine how many variables are present in the sound of every piano on earth, its a bit mind numbing. First thing i did was go to the music store and buy 4 more of the highest quality piano libraries i could find (and i already had a bunch of great piano's), then went back to the studio to start auditioning. It took me 2 or 3 solid days, first to figure out the notes, easy part, then the EXACT timings and feel and velocity of each note, THEN dial in the EXACT sound of the original piano. THEN get the reverb perfect. the variables are endless, and it was a nightmare, but it was one of the most exact recreations i've ever done. if i looped it against the original sample, walked away and came back, there was no way at all to tell which was which. then i dont think they used it. oh well."

Mike Dean, a producer who works with Kanye said he didn't sample Aphex, he played it himself. Mike Dean that is, not Yeezus.

forum thread below (to be believed or not)

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=864145.msg45246993#msg45246993

another guy made a good point about what Mike Dean supposedly played though

Izeytope96 said 2 months ago:

This might be a direct sample after all. Here's Ken Lewis talking about this sample: "They had me do a recreation of the piano from"Avril The 14th" by Aphex Twin for the song "Blame Game", but i dont think they used it (or they didnt credit me, not sure). Actually the hardest recreations are often the most simple bare ones, especially of live instruments, because there is absolutely zero room for error and nothing else to mask other frequencies. Piano is especially hard to recreate. if you can imagine how many variables are present in the sound of every piano on earth, its a bit mind numbing. First thing i did was go to the music store and buy 4 more of the highest quality piano libraries i could find (and i already had a bunch of great piano's), then went back to the studio to start auditioning. It took me 2 or 3 solid days, first to figure out the notes, easy part, then the EXACT timings and feel and velocity of each note, THEN dial in the EXACT sound of the original piano. THEN get the reverb perfect. the variables are endless, and it was a nightmare, but it was one of the most exact recreations i've ever done. if i looped it against the original sample, walked away and came back, there was no way at all to tell which was which. then i dont think they used it. oh well."

I mean, you can tell it's not a sample. It's different. What's your point?