IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Guest BunnyRabbit

Hi, I just had to reinstate by account to share this.

I always reckoned the intro to Compulsion from 808 State's New Build was like a psudeo time-stretch (eh? eh? ) done on the FZ1 (right?). And it was confirmed not confirmed, but explained in the recent Sound On Sound 'Classic Track' article on Pacific State http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr14/articles/classic-tracks-0414.htm

"We had an early Akai sampler in the studio — pre‑S900. It was a rack unit, and you could trigger that with a pulse or a rim shot from the drum machine. You could also alter the beginning and the end of it on a lever; do the sample start points. So, for instance, the vocals on 'Dr Lowfruit' and 'Compulsion' were done in the sampler, and we could really start messing with the trigger points and stretch things. That was terribly exciting back then, before we had time‑stretch — 'This sounds fab!'

So they used the S612 for that, not the FZ-1. It's because you have sliders on the front of the S612 for start and end points so you can move through the sample manually like a really basic timestretch effect.

Compulsion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfSOT3-1QmQ

Errr, so what abou the FZ1?

It seems you can do the same trick accordng to this guy from Gearslutz http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/926789-casio-fz1-questions-3.html

Assign the filter to the mod wheel, use the multi point envelopes to move the start point around = bliss back in the day. Loved it.

I don't really get his explanation, but that's what I reckon Aphex will be doing anyway.

Well, if you want to breakdown what was said it goes thusly,

Kanye sampled the track, and people started communicating with Richard. Probably to get some kind of clearance. Richard has to give the A.O.K. and then payments go through or whatever and it's all good.

Richard says, "wow you did a shit job on that sample. Let me fix it for you." Kanye, being the egomaniac that he is, takes offense to this. He probably heard it through his people as he didn't seem to have direct communication with Richard. So, that probably exacerbates the issue.

Kanye is a little irked. Ok, let's just get someone to replay it because you know. He has offended me, and he is also right. So someone plays it and they listen to it. Legal team says, "We can probably get around paying for this as long we make it different enough."

Eventually you know. Someone probably came to their senses, and decided it was best to just pay the man and credit him. Or Richard's legal team threatened or whatever.

Either way, if you listen to the track I'm pretty sure that they've changed some notes from the original. Probably in an effort to keep from crediting and paying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rndo8VOQuA

Anyway, that's what I gathered from what was said.

Mike Dean, a producer who works with Kanye said he didn't sample Aphex, he played it himself. Mike Dean that is, not Yeezus.

forum thread below (to be believed or not)

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=864145.msg45246993#msg45246993

another guy made a good point about what Mike Dean supposedly played though

Izeytope96 said 2 months ago:

This might be a direct sample after all. Here's Ken Lewis talking about this sample: "They had me do a recreation of the piano from"Avril The 14th" by Aphex Twin for the song "Blame Game", but i dont think they used it (or they didnt credit me, not sure). Actually the hardest recreations are often the most simple bare ones, especially of live instruments, because there is absolutely zero room for error and nothing else to mask other frequencies. Piano is especially hard to recreate. if you can imagine how many variables are present in the sound of every piano on earth, its a bit mind numbing. First thing i did was go to the music store and buy 4 more of the highest quality piano libraries i could find (and i already had a bunch of great piano's), then went back to the studio to start auditioning. It took me 2 or 3 solid days, first to figure out the notes, easy part, then the EXACT timings and feel and velocity of each note, THEN dial in the EXACT sound of the original piano. THEN get the reverb perfect. the variables are endless, and it was a nightmare, but it was one of the most exact recreations i've ever done. if i looped it against the original sample, walked away and came back, there was no way at all to tell which was which. then i dont think they used it. oh well."

I mean, you can tell it's not a sample. It's different. What's your point?

Just corroborating what you stated with some evidence. The sample in question appears @ 1:39 of Avril 14th, and is pretty damn close imo. But, maybe a note added here/there on blame game.

Edited by olo

Enough with the Kanye bullshit - it's done and dusted - if you like Kanye, great - if you hate Kanye, great, etc. Richard's non plussed about it, so neither should we.

RE: WARP asking/demanding/begging for material from Richard (or any of their artists) - it's simply not their style - they don't pester their artists to give them material to release; never have, AFAIK. The only time there was any ever any "pressure" was with Windowlicker/DrukQs as Warner Bros (not WARP) gave a hefty advance (supposedly 90,000USD) for an album, which WARP thought Richard was going to deliver that fall of 1999. Richard, for whatever reason, decided it wasn't time to release anything he was working on, so he simply didn't - This effectively soured the relationship WARP had with WB, and AFAIK, Warner no longer distributes for WARP in the US. DrukQs was as I understand it, the last album as part of the contact Richard had with WARP, but in typical WARP fashion, had no specific delivery dates tacked onto it, so Richard gave it to them when he felt it was ready to be released.

This, by the way, all came from a Warner Bros exec I was dealing with when I was in talks with WB about running the US side of WB's Aphex Twin promotional/web site, the old aphex-twin.com (or was it .net? Can't remember). The above obviously scuppered any US promotion Aphex Twin was going to ever have again via WB. Also recall the (in)famous WB memo after SAWII bombed in the US, stating that any proposed "ambient" releases via WB had to have executive clearance before going forward. There were also rumours that WB had some sort of "ownership" over the Aphex Twin name, which some have speculated led to Richard doing the Analord and Tuss releases via Rephlex in the intervening years since DrukQs and SYRO, but I've got no other claims to back that up.

Well, if you want to breakdown what was said it goes thusly,

Kanye sampled the track, and people started communicating with Richard. Probably to get some kind of clearance. Richard has to give the A.O.K. and then payments go through or whatever and it's all good.

Richard says, "wow you did a shit job on that sample. Let me fix it for you." Kanye, being the egomaniac that he is, takes offense to this. He probably heard it through his people as he didn't seem to have direct communication with Richard. So, that probably exacerbates the issue.

Kanye is a little irked. Ok, let's just get someone to replay it because you know. He has offended me, and he is also right. So someone plays it and they listen to it. Legal team says, "We can probably get around paying for this as long we make it different enough."

Eventually you know. Someone probably came to their senses, and decided it was best to just pay the man and credit him. Or Richard's legal team threatened or whatever.

Either way, if you listen to the track I'm pretty sure that they've changed some notes from the original. Probably in an effort to keep from crediting and paying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rndo8VOQuA

Anyway, that's what I gathered from what was said.

Mike Dean, a producer who works with Kanye said he didn't sample Aphex, he played it himself. Mike Dean that is, not Yeezus.

forum thread below (to be believed or not)

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=864145.msg45246993#msg45246993

another guy made a good point about what Mike Dean supposedly played though

Izeytope96 said 2 months ago:

This might be a direct sample after all. Here's Ken Lewis talking about this sample: "They had me do a recreation of the piano from"Avril The 14th" by Aphex Twin for the song "Blame Game", but i dont think they used it (or they didnt credit me, not sure). Actually the hardest recreations are often the most simple bare ones, especially of live instruments, because there is absolutely zero room for error and nothing else to mask other frequencies. Piano is especially hard to recreate. if you can imagine how many variables are present in the sound of every piano on earth, its a bit mind numbing. First thing i did was go to the music store and buy 4 more of the highest quality piano libraries i could find (and i already had a bunch of great piano's), then went back to the studio to start auditioning. It took me 2 or 3 solid days, first to figure out the notes, easy part, then the EXACT timings and feel and velocity of each note, THEN dial in the EXACT sound of the original piano. THEN get the reverb perfect. the variables are endless, and it was a nightmare, but it was one of the most exact recreations i've ever done. if i looped it against the original sample, walked away and came back, there was no way at all to tell which was which. then i dont think they used it. oh well."

I mean, you can tell it's not a sample. It's different. What's your point?

Just corroborating what you stated with some evidence. The sample in question appears @ 1:39 of Avril 14th, and is pretty damn close imo. But, maybe a note added here/there on blame game.

Ah, I see. I think they actually removed some notes. Wasn't it already established you need 3 hands to play Avril 14th 100% anyway?

Ah, I see. I think they actually removed some notes. Wasn't it already established you need 3 hands to play Avril 14th 100% anyway?

no idea on 3 hands (not much good on a piano), but If the case, they probably just recorded a couple of different bars of notation on 2 tracks i would gather & mixed down. But Yeezus is so badass, he might have a third arm.

edit: Sorry Joyrex, no more Yeezus after this post.

Edited by olo

i hate when im on a flight & I wake up with a water bottle next 2 me like oh great now i gotta be responsible for this water bottle

Guest trananhhung

I'm thinking of pre-ordering Syro through iTunes. I've been doing it for more than year for all my digital purchases. It's cool that iTunes download the tracks automaticaly to all your devices. And they're always in the cloud.

Could someone give me a reason why I should do it through blerp? I don't care about physical media, sorry.

Just out the bottle under the seat and let it roll.

if kanye was shit everyone would agree he was shit and he would have burned out ages ago like chingy or 50 cent. guess what? there's a reason he still has fans..

guess there's something to like there? oh but fuck them because some idm nerds who don't even listen to hip hop think he's shit because they're sick of hearing about him. wankers

U mad bro?

Kanye is a very talented producer. But imo his rap career has been hand-over-fist shit sucking. I've rarely heard rappers that I was more bored with on such a consistent basis; yes, I've given multiple songs and albums multiple chances. He's just weak. Oh, and he's a fucking idiot in real life, and worse, seems to be proud of it.

In other words you gots to calm down about it. Lots of people hate Kanye, cool your tits about it though.

I'm thinking of pre-ordering Syro through iTunes. I've been doing it for more than year for all my digital purchases. It's cool that iTunes download the tracks automaticaly to all your devices. And they're always in the cloud.

Could someone give me a reason why I should do it through blerp? I don't care about physical media, sorry.

Just out the bottle under the seat and let it roll.

Because 24bit wav

i hate when im on a flight & I wake up with a water bottle next 2 me like oh great now i gotta be responsible for this water bottle

lol ?

just put it in a bag

No, no... he's right.

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

There were also rumours that WB had some sort of "ownership" over the Aphex Twin name, which some have speculated led to Richard doing the Analord and Tuss releases via Rephlex in the intervening years since DrukQs and SYRO, but I've got no other claims to back that up.

That's slimy: claiming ownership of a creative project title because of pieces of paper, not because they've had anything to do with the art behind it. Doesn't surprise me that some lame suits would pull that move, though.

Guest BunnyRabbit

DrukQs was as I understand it, the last album as part of the contact Richard had with WARP, but in typical WARP fashion, had no specific delivery dates tacked onto it, so Richard gave it to them when he felt it was ready to be released.

Sounds like Warp done fucked up there.

Interesting about the deal ending with Druqks too and shows that he is happy to go back to Warp when the time is right.