IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Oh, nice identifying the font!

Interesting - a Google search for Silian Rail font comes up with the fact it is in fact a fictional font, most closely visually to Garamond Classico Roman SC...

And, it's used quite a bit on fictional business cards - very odd coincidence!

8c0e40eaa48176d4ecc595c089d731ff.gif

Simple Regular by Norm

http://lineto.com/The+Designers/Norm/

Ian Anderson used Norm's Replica for Autechre's Oversteps iirc

542096105256_KD6GQOPv_l.jpg

To my knowledge, there is only a CD version of SYRO for Japan: http://shop.beatink.com/shopdetail/000000001850/

Also, I don't know if anyone has noticed yet, but iTunes lists the track times for SYRO: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/syro/id911319255?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Interesting - a Google search for Silian Rail font comes up with the fact it is in fact a fictional font, most closely visually to Garamond Classico Roman SC...

Simple Regular by Norm

that's not the right font, the R doesn't look right (even if you take into account that it's a thicker style, the top part of the R has a smaller "hole" in it)

NslTGQf.png

What font is Syro by the way? I think someone said OCR A which comes close but it's not that.

pretty sure it's called simple.

edit: nice telefunken

Edited by jules

Guest bitroast

To my knowledge, there is only a CD version of SYRO for Japan: http://shop.beatink.com/shopdetail/000000001850/

Also, I don't know if anyone has noticed yet, but iTunes lists the track times for SYRO: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/syro/id911319255?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Track times were on bleep page the day syro was announced on warp. Keep up joyrex!!

"So then he put thesis two other records up for sale - Analogue Bubblebath 5 and Melodies from Mars and I asked him to stop it - because I want to release them Properly through Warp. It's part of my back catalog did I want them to put out. Then this Notch guy, this Minecraft guy who so bought the Caustic Window test pressing on ebay bought these from him. And I said fine as long as he does not release them. I just do not want anyone to bootleg them"

bit late for that.

They are on the net, like he said himself, but they aren't bootlegged as in: pressed up on vinyl by shady guys without permission.

Well chuffed at the fact that AB5 will perhaps be released on Warp :) sounds like there's alot of stuff happening in the Aphex camp in the future.

"So then he put thesis two other records up for sale - Analogue Bubblebath 5 and Melodies from Mars and I asked him to stop it - because I want to release them Properly through Warp. It's part of my back catalog did I want them to put out. Then this Notch guy, this Minecraft guy who so bought the Caustic Window test pressing on ebay bought these from him. And I said fine as long as he does not release them. I just do not want anyone to bootleg them"

bit late for that.

Richard's concern was that higher quality rips would end up online, effectively scuppering any reason to release them legitamately.

I guess I can finally share this bit of the whole story since he's mentioned who bought them ultimately:

When we were getting ready to list the Caustic Window LP on Ebay, it was also decided to go ahead and list ABB5 and MFM as well - all was fine until the last minute, when someone sniped both releases - turns out that sniper was Richard himself, as he explained his reasons - the more he thought about higher quality rips getting out there, the less incentive for him to legitimately release them (and he was working towards doing so).

So, we talked with Ebay, got the auctions cancelled, and approached Notch Persson, who at this point was buying the Caustic Window LP (and actually was in the running for Melodies From Mars, but Richard outbid him at the last minute), and Grant talked to Notch, who agreed to purchase the others at an undisclosed price, since we were assured Notch wasn't going to rip and leak these online (keep in mind, this was the last known copy of the MFM test pressing - much higher quality than the tapes that got leaked years ago).

That's why I had to say nay to the Kickstarters for MFM and ABB5, and why the Ebay auctions happened the way they did.

Simple Regular by Norm

that's not the right font, the R doesn't look right (even if you take into account that it's a thicker style, the top part of the R has a smaller "hole" in it)

NslTGQf.png

osc, on the website, check the little white box in the lower left corner, and go Norman > Fonts > Simple > Regular, and try in typewriter

btw, thanks guys

Edited by triachus

Woah.

If Warp don't have any hints from Richard yet to release MFM they're really blind.

Also, nice story about the Kickstarter campaign ! Too bad I was broke at that time...

Guest lopisode

bit late for that.

Richard's concern was that higher quality rips would end up online, effectively scuppering any reason to release them legitamately.

I guess I can finally share this bit of the whole story since he's mentioned who bought them ultimately:

When we were getting ready to list the Caustic Window LP on Ebay, it was also decided to go ahead and list ABB5 and MFM as well - all was fine until the last minute, when someone sniped both releases - turns out that sniper was Richard himself, as he explained his reasons - the more he thought about higher quality rips getting out there, the less incentive for him to legitimately release them (and he was working towards doing so).

So, we talked with Ebay, got the auctions cancelled, and approached Notch Persson, who at this point was buying the Caustic Window LP (and actually was in the running for Melodies From Mars, but Richard outbid him at the last minute), and Grant talked to Notch, who agreed to purchase the others at an undisclosed price, since we were assured Notch wasn't going to rip and leak these online (keep in mind, this was the last known copy of the MFM test pressing - much higher quality than the tapes that got leaked years ago).

That's why I had to say nay to the Kickstarters for MFM and ABB5, and why the Ebay auctions happened the way they did.

Thanks for sharing that - really interesting and I'm stoked to hear that these might get released proper.

Simple Regular by Norm

NslTGQf.png

osc, on the website, check the little white box in the lower left corner, and go Norman > Fonts > Simple > Regular, and try in typewriter

btw, thanks guys

lol website design is terrible.

yeah that looks much more like it, thanks for the protip.

Guest jasondonervan

I guess I can finally share this bit of the whole story since he's mentioned who bought them ultimately

Syro thread is surely the greatest thread on WATMM ever... every day it delivers :cool:

I guess I can finally share this bit of the whole story since he's mentioned who bought them ultimately

Syro thread is surely the greatest thread on WATMM ever... every day it delivers :cool:

Wrong.

greatest thread on WATMM is AAA

giphy.gif

Edited by oscillik

Hi, I just had to reinstate by account to share this.

I always reckoned the intro to Compulsion from 808 State's New Build was like a psudeo time-stretch (eh? eh? ) done on the FZ1 (right?). And it was confirmed not confirmed, but explained in the recent Sound On Sound 'Classic Track' article on Pacific State http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr14/articles/classic-tracks-0414.htm

"We had an early Akai sampler in the studio — pre‑S900. It was a rack unit, and you could trigger that with a pulse or a rim shot from the drum machine. You could also alter the beginning and the end of it on a lever; do the sample start points. So, for instance, the vocals on 'Dr Lowfruit' and 'Compulsion' were done in the sampler, and we could really start messing with the trigger points and stretch things. That was terribly exciting back then, before we had time‑stretch — 'This sounds fab!'

So they used the S612 for that, not the FZ-1. It's because you have sliders on the front of the S612 for start and end points so you can move through the sample manually like a really basic timestretch effect.

Compulsion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfSOT3-1QmQ

Errr, so what abou the FZ1?

It seems you can do the same trick accordng to this guy from Gearslutz http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/926789-casio-fz1-questions-3.html

Assign the filter to the mod wheel, use the multi point envelopes to move the start point around = bliss back in the day. Loved it.

I don't really get his explanation, but that's what I reckon Aphex will be doing anyway.

Looks like Richard was focussed on vintage samplers some time ago.

Guest jasondonervan

Wrong.

greatest thread on WATMM is AAA

giphy.gif

back when i was a young'in Warp was THE label. They really had all their eggs in one basket with the artists we all love here. but they didnt release stuff often enough to keep the label going and changed into a totally different beast.