IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Baby I was burning bootlegs of MFM and AB5 for my friends in 2002, complete with cover art!

I thought AB5 came out in 2005

Erm, ABB5 was scheduled to come out in 1995...

Baby I was burning bootlegs of MFM and AB5 for my friends in 2002, complete with cover art!

I thought AB5 came out in 2005

Erm, ABB5 was scheduled to come out in 1995...

I think Stephen means the couple of AB5 copies being given away with the batch of binders that was delayed, seeing that as an official release date?

Well, they were given away as "apologies" for their Analord binder purchases getting lost - I wouldn't consider a promo being given away a "release", official or otherwise.

I know the sentiment has been shared here several times, but what a great time to be a fan of the IDM legends - Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Plaid, Autechre just to name a few. I don't recall being this excited over music in quite a while.

I have a great feeling about Syro.

Well, they were given away as "apologies" for their Analord binder purchases getting lost - I wouldn't consider a promo being given away a "release", official or otherwise.

My point is, how could colunga be making bootlegs of AB5 in 2002 when it wasn't given away/in the general publics hands until 2005

lol

am I englishing improperlies?

There's also another nice interview with Richard on Groove, circa 2001:

http://www.groove.de/2014/08/21/aphex-twin-groove-interview-2001-english/

Location: Nettuno, a cheap Italian restaurant on the first floor of the Elephant&Castle shopping center, South London.

Date: September 1 2001, 1-4pm.

What is the best sound system you’ve ever heard?

There’s a few that stick in my mind but it’s difficult to say because one of them is in Cornwell when I was really young. So that might now sound really shit but I remember that at the time thinking that it was really amazing. But looking back to it it probably was. They had eight subbass speakers built into some concrete which is usually the key. The other one was last year in the Dead Sea. We did a rave in Israel and they just got four of us djing. They got this fucking enormous Turbosound sound system and I’ve never heard a sound system like this before. It was at least 100k and when we were like a mile away in the desert we just heard that bass. We were thinking that it was an earthquake or something but when we got closer we realized that it was the sound system. In Israel they are supposed to have very brutal customs. The promotor asked me if I wanted a signal generator, you know a machine that makes sign waves. I forgot that he said it and he then he arrived really late at the airport and gave me this box of electronics in a plastic bag. I was thinking „oh, brilliant“ and was just about to get onto the plane when my friends were saying „what the fuck is that?“. I was saying: „It’s like a signal generator“ and they were saying: „You can’t take that on the plane!“. And I realized „Oh yeah shit, they are just going to totally kill me.“ I mean they‘re asking you these questions like: „Has anyone given you anything?“ and I would say: „Yeah, this box of electronics. I don’t no what it is, I’ve never plucked it in but I’m sure it’s ok…“ At first I was thinking maybe I can sneak it through all the customs. So first I sneaked it through check in by hiding it under my bags. The they have this extra security thing and I got through that. Then I was like really sweatening because I thought I was going to get done and then there was the x-ray thing and I just thought that I was just not going to make it through. I was thinking of putting it in the toilet and leaving it there but then I thought „No, they are just going to shut the whole airport and then noone would go anywhere.“ So I thought I’d just have to take it and I was queing up for the x-ray and then I just put the signal generator between the scanner and this thing – right where you put your keys and stuff, walked straight through and picked it up. I mean it was this really heavy quite big box of electronics in a plastic bag and I just took it on the plane. The thing is I still haven’t plugged it in yet so it might actually be a bomb. It’s fucking easy to be a terrorist!

My point is, how could colunga be making bootlegs of AB5 in 2002 when it wasn't given away/in the general publics hands until 2005

lol

I think it was already ripped before 2005. I still have a really old bad rip but I'm not sure about the date...

Guest bitroast

lol

I think it was already ripped before 2005. I still have a really old bad rip but I'm not sure about the date...

Yeah i remember having a shitty rip from before 2005. Then downloading it again after Analord release and being blown away at how good quality it was.

I still havent listened to the joyrex tape cause the quality is a little too shitty for me..

lol

Yeah i remember having a shitty rip from before 2005. Then downloading it again after Analord release and being blown away at how good quality it was.

I still havent listened to the joyrex tape cause the quality is a little too shitty for me..

Interesting! I didn't know that.

Thanks for the tidbit. I really thought that white label that came with the binders was the first the world saw of it.

:emotawesomepm9:

learn something new every day =)

Edited by StephenG

There's also another nice interview with Richard on Groove, circa 2001:

http://www.groove.de/2014/08/21/aphex-twin-groove-interview-2001-english/

Location: Nettuno, a cheap Italian restaurant on the first floor of the Elephant&Castle shopping center, South London.

What is the best sound system you’ve ever heard?

There’s a few that stick in my mind but it’s difficult to say because one of them is in Cornwell when I was really young. So that might now sound really shit but I remember that at the time thinking that it was really amazing. But looking back to it it probably was. They had eight subbass speakers built into some concrete which is usually the key. The other one was last year in the Dead Sea. We did a rave in Israel and they just got four of us djing. They got this fucking enormous Turbosound sound system and I’ve never heard a sound system like this before. It was at least 100k and when we were like a mile away in the desert we just heard that bass. We were thinking that it was an earthquake or something but when we got closer we realized that it was the sound system. In Israel they are supposed to have very brutal customs. The promotor asked me if I wanted a signal generator, you know a machine that makes sign waves. I forgot that he said it and he then he arrived really late at the airport and gave me this box of electronics in a plastic bag. I was thinking „oh, brilliant“ and was just about to get onto the plane when my friends were saying „what the fuck is that?“. I was saying: „It’s like a signal generator“ and they were saying: „You can’t take that on the plane!“. And I realized „Oh yeah shit, they are just going to totally kill me.“ I mean they‘re asking you these questions like: „Has anyone given you anything?“ and I would say: „Yeah, this box of electronics. I don’t no what it is, I’ve never plucked it in but I’m sure it’s ok…“ At first I was thinking maybe I can sneak it through all the customs. So first I sneaked it through check in by hiding it under my bags. The they have this extra security thing and I got through that. Then I was like really sweatening because I thought I was going to get done and then there was the x-ray thing and I just thought that I was just not going to make it through. I was thinking of putting it in the toilet and leaving it there but then I thought „No, they are just going to shut the whole airport and then noone would go anywhere.“ So I thought I’d just have to take it and I was queing up for the x-ray and then I just put the signal generator between the scanner and this thing – right where you put your keys and stuff, walked straight through and picked it up. I mean it was this really heavy quite big box of electronics in a plastic bag and I just took it on the plane. The thing is I still haven’t plugged it in yet so it might actually be a bomb. It’s fucking easy to be a terrorist!

Yep, odd coincidence, for sure!

Also, from the link I posted earlier re: Dead Sea rave:

http://noyzelab.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/afx-dsp-box-commission-2002.html

it all started when we were on the rephlex tour of turkey / israel / egypt in 2000, me & damo were doing video projections/vj. that was a time! rephlex co-founder grant was asked by Spannered "What are the 3 most cherished memories you hold from 20 years of Rephlex?" one of which was :
— a super fat Turbosound system with a few thousand ravers and 16 of my posse on the edge of the Dead Sea in Israel.
In other words, being in a band of travelling minstrels, taking serious tunes for nice people all over the world, trying to do our bit for science with music.
Edited by cebec

wonder if the mfm would be identical to the white label notch has or if there was truth to him "redoing" the album as he alluded in that one interview that one time.

<3 mfm would buy

ilwwxQ3K9lJ16.jpg

zing! there he is. great stuff JD

hahahahaha YES!!!!

oh god, what i would do for some sort of aphex twin/ american psyhco co-joined theme.

"American Twin: The Aphex Syro/Drukqs Outtakes filmscore set to American Psycho alternate ending and outtakes edition"

mmmm

Edited by Lane Visitor

lol

Interesting! I didn't know that.

Thanks for the tidbit. I really thought that white label that came with the binders was the first the world saw of it.

:emotawesomepm9:

learn something new every day =)

Even the discogs reviews from AB5 date back to 2003 :) looked it up from the ancient AFX FAQ file (from around '98):

B:5 "Was there ever an _Analogue Bubblebath 5_?"
Yes, Richard did _Analogue Bubblebath 5_, but he has no plans on releasing
it. When asked why not he responded: "Because I don't like it, no, I do, but
not all the tracks, I want better ones on that. Quite often, if you make
records, very soon after you did the tracks, you change your mind about
them." However, you never know. There have been indications of AB5 eventually
being released on CD one day, but there is no date set as of this writing, so
don't hold your breath.

So it has been leaked somewhere between 2000 (after the FAQ's last update) and 2003, but no idea by whom though!

why do the japanese get more aphex than everyone else?

They almost always get a bonus track. Like Sean from Autechre said:

"really it's just the fact that CDs are so expensive there that they need something exclusive, otherwise everyone buys the import"

Ay just to clarify , this was the end of High School so it may have actually been Summer 03 I was burning them. Def before 2005 tho

Edited by colunga

I'm thinking of pre-ordering Syro through iTunes. I've been doing it for more than year for all my digital purchases. It's cool that iTunes download the tracks automaticaly to all your devices. And they're always in the cloud.

Could someone give me a reason why I should do it through blerp? I don't care about physical media, sorry.

Just out the bottle under the seat and let it roll.

Because 24bit wav

IF you care about audio at that quality... if you think iTunes audio sounds good enough, order via iTunes. That's what I did. I actually ordered the physical via Amazon.

not interested in the limited edition?

Depends on if I get a raffle ticket or not - you do know you DON'T have to purchase from Bleep to enter, right?

Honestly, if it wasn't for the obnoxious shipping costs, I'd go for the Japanese CD - that's the complete set, IMO.

so that means you're gonna torrent the bonus track like me eh joyboss, you dirty ol' pirate :emotawesomepm9: