IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

one of the first things that jumped out to be about the mastering was how bassy it was (one of the bassiest newer period aphex tracks ever) and how compressed it sounded, but it totally works for the track.

yeah, this. I think it sounds pretty damn awesome, actually.

The description of "180dB_" in both FACT and The Quietus track-by-track reviews makes me think it might be the Snowbombing track. It is around the right BPM too.

@6.57 here for those who aren't familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLEMYXPkcE

FACT:

05 ’180db_’

Bit of a swagger here: this one’s got the confidence to roll with nothing more than the main riff, which is fuzzy and buzzy, and four-to-the-floor kick drum for large sections. It’s the first blatant dancefloor track of the record – bit of a shame it’s ironically the shortest one too, as it feels like it could quite happily just jam on for an age, especially after the straight beat turns into a break not a million miles from the Baby Ford ‘Helston Flora Remix’.

The Quietus:

The bpms creep up again for '180db_', which starts out as clattering techno with warped hoover noises, before a breakbeat is dropped and it turns into a slab of gnarly, crusty techno that sounds like something from a Spiral Tribe DJ set from a 90s free party rave-up.

the reviews sound promising, i dont know how im gonna be able to sit and listen to the album without flicking through it...

glad to hear its a evolution of the tuss sound, the mixing and mastering is top which really is the thing that a lot of his older music lacked, it did bring a charm to the music though. this will sound big in a club, i look forward to playing it out

Confirmation that "aisatsana" is the Barbican piano track:

Wondering Sound track-by-track [Source]:

12. “aisatsana [102]“

The album’s finale is the pretty solo piano piece James debuted at London’s Barbican in October 2012. (The event that became notable after James swung a grand piano from the roof of the theatre like a giant pendulum.) The song is a soothing piece reminiscent of the minimal compositions of Erik Satie; it rolls out softly over distant bird song. A point of trivia: “Aisatsana” is also the name of his wife spelled backwards.

Confirmation that "aisatsana" is the Barbican piano track:

Wondering Sound track-by-track [Source]:

12. “aisatsana [102]“

The album’s finale is the pretty solo piano piece James debuted at London’s Barbican in October 2012. (The event that became notable after James swung a grand piano from the roof of the theatre like a giant pendulum.) The song is a soothing piece reminiscent of the minimal compositions of Erik Satie; it rolls out softly over distant bird song. A point of trivia: “Aisatsana” is also the name of his wife spelled backwards.

YESSS

i jumped the gun above, those write-ups weren't too bad.

i like how the roll-out has been handled with this album, quite nice, the warp page for the single on youtube going along with the radio premier, and you can download a 24 bit flac of it. this is the way to do it, he is probably making some dough with these single download purchases, whereas if they hadn't set it up this way it would just be thousands of people listening to a radio rip.

Edited by very honest

LOL I knew Pitchfork would be on the hype train.

Im telling u : Syro - 8.9 BNM

Naw, naw. They're gonna praise it for a hundred reasons in the review, while they mention 18 times the 3 minor reasons why they criticize it; then, they'll give the album a 7.5 at most and lust after what he's capable of in the future. Watch.

These reviews are great to see! I'm not listening until the whole album is out and in my ears. I've avoided the crap quality you tube versions, so I have no idea what it even sounds like. Reviews are pumping me up though!

a master of his machines, an accomplished musician and producer showing off his vast skills and proving that like James Bond, nobody – NOBODY, no, not even you Skrillex – does it better.

jesus christ :facepalm:

The description of "180dB_" in both FACT and The Quietus track-by-track reviews makes me think it might be the Snowbombing track. It is around the right BPM too.

FACT:

05 ’180db_’

Bit of a swagger here: this one’s got the confidence to roll with nothing more than the main riff, which is fuzzy and buzzy, and four-to-the-floor kick drum for large sections. It’s the first blatant dancefloor track of the record – bit of a shame it’s ironically the shortest one too, as it feels like it could quite happily just jam on for an age, especially after the straight beat turns into a break not a million miles from the Baby Ford ‘Helston Flora Remix’.

The Quietus:

The bpms creep up again for '180db_', which starts out as clattering techno with warped hoover noises, before a breakbeat is dropped and it turns into a slab of gnarly, crusty techno that sounds like something from a Spiral Tribe DJ set from a 90s free party rave-up.

that's a vibert track

FACT:

05 ’180db_’

The Quietus:

Great call. I think you're right.