IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

wait.. we're calling Pitchfork hipsters for being as excited as us about Syro?

riiiiiiight

pitchfork 2001 : drukqs : 5,5

pitchfork 2014 : syro : OHMAGERD BEST MUSIC EVER

:facepalm:

Edited by 2202

The description of "180dB_" in both FACT and The Quietus track-by-track reviews makes me think it might be the Snowbombing track. It is around the right BPM too.

@6.57 here for those who aren't familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLEMYXPkcE

FACT:

05 ’180db_’

Bit of a swagger here: this one’s got the confidence to roll with nothing more than the main riff, which is fuzzy and buzzy, and four-to-the-floor kick drum for large sections. It’s the first blatant dancefloor track of the record – bit of a shame it’s ironically the shortest one too, as it feels like it could quite happily just jam on for an age, especially after the straight beat turns into a break not a million miles from the Baby Ford ‘Helston Flora Remix’.

The Quietus:

The bpms creep up again for '180db_', which starts out as clattering techno with warped hoover noises, before a breakbeat is dropped and it turns into a slab of gnarly, crusty techno that sounds like something from a Spiral Tribe DJ set from a 90s free party rave-up.

Great call. I think you're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9QLBDI3he8

riiiiiiight

lol, never forget. We're like the mafia or something. You crossed me once in primary school mother fucker, how dare you stand there and order lunch in the same restaurant as me, how dare you. Vinny, Gino, Tony, get this minchia out of my sight!!

"ohmagahd borss, nat agen"

riiiiiiight

lol, never forget. We're like the mafia or something. You crossed me once in primary school mother fucker, how dare you stand there and order lunch in the same restaurant as me, how dare you. Vinny, Gino, Tony, get this minchia out of my sight!!

"ohmagahd borss, nat agen"

LoL that's the spirit !

riiiiiiight

the same writer?

Guest nick5745

riiiiiiight

the same writer?

Yea, people gotta understand that 'Pitchfork', 'Resident Advisor', etc. doesn't mean anything, it's just a single person's opinion at the end of the day, it doesn't really hold any more weight than anyone else's.

Edited by nick5745

Confirmation that "aisatsana" is the Barbican piano track:

Wondering Sound track-by-track [Source]:

12. “aisatsana [102]“

The album’s finale is the pretty solo piano piece James debuted at London’s Barbican in October 2012. (The event that became notable after James swung a grand piano from the roof of the theatre like a giant pendulum.) The song is a soothing piece reminiscent of the minimal compositions of Erik Satie; it rolls out softly over distant bird song. A point of trivia: “Aisatsana” is also the name of his wife spelled backwards.

YESSS

FUCKING YES !!!

It annoys me to bits that some people are expecting him to bring us in a new direction. In the above track descriptions this guy seems somewhat disappointed in the lack of a totally new direction, but really why? In the youtube video, a number of the comments basically go: "The track was great! Nothing revolutionary though." WHY?! Isn't thinking a new piece of music is great enough considering he's already proven himself over and over? Just let him have fun and release music, and if he has some crazy experimental stuff he wants to put out then so be it.

Plus what would it take to bring us in a new direction in electronic music? There's such crazy variety out there now it would be impossible to be as original as a lot of his early stuff.

Also can't forget that he pioneered much of the style in electronic music now-a-days. The landscape would be very different without him, and possibly lagged behind without that crazy push he made in the mid 90s.

Why must we be tortured with these reviews? I don't know what pains me more. The fact that I have to keep myself for reading them as to not taint my impression of the album prematurely, or the idea that these fuckers have already listened to all of it.

12. “aisatsana [102]“

The album’s finale is the pretty solo piano piece James debuted at London’s Barbican in October 2012. (The event that became notable after James swung a grand piano from the roof of the theatre like a giant pendulum.) The song is a soothing piece reminiscent of the minimal compositions of Erik Satie; it rolls out softly over distant bird song. A point of trivia: “Aisatsana” is also the name of his wife spelled backwards.

With this Syro is exactly what I had wished but thought that would never happen. Thanks RDJ!

Guest jasondonervan

12. “aisatsana [102]“

Delighted to read this. I and a few other watmmers were at the Barbican that night, and it was hairs on the back of your neck stuff. My brain will forever swing back to that night when hearing it...

:happy:

12. “aisatsana [102]“

Delighted to read this. I and a few other watmmers were at the Barbican that night, and it was hairs on the back of your neck stuff. My brain will forever swing back to that night when hearing it...

:happy:

I hope it's similarly warped sounding though!

It annoys me to bits that some people are expecting him to bring us in a new direction. In the above track descriptions this guy seems somewhat disappointed in the lack of a totally new direction, but really why? In the youtube video, a number of the comments basically go: "The track was great! Nothing revolutionary though." WHY?! Isn't thinking a new piece of music is great enough considering he's already proven himself over and over? Just let him have fun and release music, and if he has some crazy experimental stuff he wants to put out then so be it.

Plus what would it take to bring us in a new direction in electronic music? There's such crazy variety out there now it would be impossible to be as original as a lot of his early stuff.

Also can't forget that he pioneered much of the style in electronic music now-a-days. The landscape would be very different without him, and possibly lagged behind without that crazy push he made in the mid 90s.

I couldn't agree with you more

people everywhere are somehow hyped that he's going to change a "game" of some sort, and believe that if it doesn't achieve that the album is a disappointment, and they are all fucking stupid.

Edited by chim

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Squarepusher reinvents tries something new with each album and gets slammed for that too. People are weird.

As much as I hate to say this, some of SP's recent experiments have simply failed. They might be innovative in a very objective sense, and none of it is bad. I for one love Ufabulum allot, but much of his newer stuff will probably not stand the test of time.

I think this is what sets RDJ apart from Tom imo. Richard's work is about as "timeless" as music comes and Syro doesn't seem to break that trend, while Tom was at his musical peak in the mid 90's to early 2000's. Allot of it sounds like just that. Music from the 90's to early 2000's.

Edited by reapersquush

imagine on the day of release, we all come on here and are greeted with a message as to why joyrex decided to call it quites with watmm. with a link to dln the whole website.

that's so fucking future. so fucking idm.

riiiiiiight

not everyone is calling them "hipsters." they are simply out of their depth discussing the analords, the tuss, drukqs, exai etc. they deleted their tuss review out of embarrassment, their drukqs review is an attrocity, and they gave exai a 5.9. pitchfork are desperate to stay relevant, despite the fact that most writers who contributed to their early success are gone.

i won't read their syro review because i don't give a fuck what they have to say.