IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

It annoys me to bits that some people are expecting him to bring us in a new direction. In the above track descriptions this guy seems somewhat disappointed in the lack of a totally new direction, but really why? In the youtube video, a number of the comments basically go: "The track was great! Nothing revolutionary though." WHY?! Isn't thinking a new piece of music is great enough considering he's already proven himself over and over? Just let him have fun and release music, and if he has some crazy experimental stuff he wants to put out then so be it.

Plus what would it take to bring us in a new direction in electronic music? There's such crazy variety out there now it would be impossible to be as original as a lot of his early stuff.

Also can't forget that he pioneered much of the style in electronic music now-a-days. The landscape would be very different without him, and possibly lagged behind without that crazy push he made in the mid 90s.

I couldn't agree with you more

people everywhere are somehow hyped that he's going to change a "game" of some sort, and believe that if it doesn't achieve that the album is a disappointment, and they are all fucking stupid.

I think it's because of the whole "it has been 13 years"(which it hasn't) thing: people create expectations.

It was the same with TH last year.

I enjoyed TH immensely (and will love syro too) but I understand the feel people got then, and are getting now of there not being a "game change".

It's just expectations, a very human thing to do.

the way the mass media has latched on to the term "13 years" reinforces my habit of pressing salt between my fingers and calling it more or less even with what they say

Guest bitroast

Confirmation that "aisatsana" is the Barbican piano track:

Wondering Sound track-by-track [Source]:

12. “aisatsana [102]“

The album’s finale is the pretty solo piano piece James debuted at London’s Barbican in October 2012. (The event that became notable after James swung a grand piano from the roof of the theatre like a giant pendulum.) The song is a soothing piece reminiscent of the minimal compositions of Erik Satie; it rolls out softly over distant bird song. A point of trivia: “Aisatsana” is also the name of his wife spelled backwards.

Delighted to read this. I and a few other watmmers were at the Barbican that night, and it was hairs on the back of your neck stuff. My brain will forever swing back to that night when hearing it...

:happy:

I hope it's similarly warped sounding though!

maybe!

there's nothing to say he didn't get a clean recording of the piano swinging before the show :)

is there anything more pointless than describing an album thats not out for two weeks with track by track descriptions?

I agree! Those early reviews are just a way for these webzines to say: look, we are so amazing, we have already heard the new Aphex.

Release the interviews instead!

wait.. we're calling Pitchfork hipsters for being as excited as us about Syro?

riiiiiiight

they deleted their tuss review out of embarrassment

Can it still be read somewhere?

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Confirmation that "aisatsana" is the Barbican piano track:

Wondering Sound track-by-track [Source]:

12. “aisatsana [102]“

The album’s finale is the pretty solo piano piece James debuted at London’s Barbican in October 2012. (The event that became notable after James swung a grand piano from the roof of the theatre like a giant pendulum.) The song is a soothing piece reminiscent of the minimal compositions of Erik Satie; it rolls out softly over distant bird song. A point of trivia: “Aisatsana” is also the name of his wife spelled backwards.

Delighted to read this. I and a few other watmmers were at the Barbican that night, and it was hairs on the back of your neck stuff. My brain will forever swing back to that night when hearing it...

:happy:

I hope it's similarly warped sounding though!

maybe!

there's nothing to say he didn't get a clean recording of the piano swinging before the show :)

Closing track 'aisatsana' is another minimalist piano tune a la 'Avril 14th' and 'Nanou 2'. It's undoubtedly gorgeous – there are birds tweeting in the background and you can hear the keys of the piano being struck and the sustain of every note, giving the impression that it was recorded live in an English country garden. It's plaintive and beautiful and a rare moment of reflection in an album that gets progressively more bonkers as it unfolds.

Really beautiful tune. Been quietly hoping for a proper release of the Barbican gig, be it a high quality live album or even a DVD or something. I guess the fact it's appearing on Syro probably rules out the possibility of that happening though. To be fair there is a pretty decent recording of the gig floating about anyway so he probably decided not to bother. Perhaps some of the more experimental tunes he played there will surface on further releases too.

Edited by Timothy Forward

trying to figure out whether the album is "revolutionary" in these early days is foolish- even more foolish than reviewing music the way people review music these days. revolutionary implies broadly impacting, and gosh, that's difficult to anticipate and much better debated after we've collected data for a few years after the release. i'd argue drukqs was indeed revolutionary- it can be heard in EDM, hip hop, and even the little current jazz i know of (it should be said i really don't follow jazz so i could be easily wrong here). but obviously so many people got drukqs wrong when it first appeared.

It annoys me to bits that some people are expecting him to bring us in a new direction. In the above track descriptions this guy seems somewhat disappointed in the lack of a totally new direction, but really why? In the youtube video, a number of the comments basically go: "The track was great! Nothing revolutionary though." WHY?! Isn't thinking a new piece of music is great enough considering he's already proven himself over and over? Just let him have fun and release music, and if he has some crazy experimental stuff he wants to put out then so be it.

Plus what would it take to bring us in a new direction in electronic music? There's such crazy variety out there now it would be impossible to be as original as a lot of his early stuff.

Also can't forget that he pioneered much of the style in electronic music now-a-days. The landscape would be very different without him, and possibly lagged behind without that crazy push he made in the mid 90s.

I will still read the pitchfork review for the lol. I will also have my hands washed in preparation for how much facepalming will occur. I am ready for them to mention Kanye and Burial and blah blah blah.

Also can someone pls leak this already so I can have a proper weekend?

Edited by colunga

imagine on the day of release, we all come on here and are greeted with a message as to why joyrex decided to call it quites with watmm. with a link to dln the whole website.

that's so fucking future. so fucking idm.

LOL, Why in the world would I do that - with so much new Aphex to listen to, including SYRO, why would I shut the site down now at one of it's many peaks?

Not to mention new AE coming, Clark, and possibly some other surprises nobody would have seen coming - it's a great time to be a fan of electronic music!

Despite the embargo being lifted, I am hesitant to give my opinion track-by-track, since I think it's better people experience it themselves first instead of colouring their expectations with what some journo says, let alone me (for whatever that's worth).

I will say this though - anyone expecting 'groundbreaking' stuff from SYRO needs to wake up - most of this music is years old, and some of it heard before - I see SYRO as more of a 'thank you' to the loyal fans, as it seems he heard the fans' desire for some of his live material to be released properly, and he's gone and done it.

I think if Richard released some of his more recent recent material first, it may not have been as 'comforting' as SYRO will ultimately be, and as a result might have the opposite effect - people thinking he might have lost it, etc. for going in such a new direction, depending on how 'accessible' (or not) his newer stuff is.

The point is it's good music - and that's really the only point in the end.

No idea if y'all have seen this, from the LP art

rK3ly4X.jpg

some interesting bits on that gear list.. who can decode the braille in the middle?

Edited by chim

I will say this though - anyone expecting 'groundbreaking' stuff from SYRO needs to wake up - most of this music is years old, and some of it heard before - I see SYRO as more of a 'thank you' to the loyal fans, as it seems he heard the fans' desire for some of his live material to be released properly, and he's gone and done it.

I think if Richard released some of his more recent recent material first, it may not have been as 'comforting' as SYRO will ultimately be, and as a result might have the opposite effect - people thinking he might have lost it, etc. for going in such a new direction, depending on how 'accessible' (or not) his newer stuff is.

The point is it's good music - and that's really the only point in the end.

Spot on joyrex

More surprises!!!!!