IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

speaking of, it's a bit weird there's no roland tb-303 or yamaha gx-1 listed on there... i swear i heard a 303 line in minipops

One of the items on the list is the insanely vague "Modular systems/Eurorack", which could be referencing hundreds of different modules by dozens of different manufacturers right there, including several that sound rather TB-303-like.

Strange, though, that I see a few euro modules listed by name as well. I remember hearing that Intellijel got into making modules because he heard that Richard built his own synths. He must be pretty happy to see it come full circle!

speaking of, it's a bit weird there's no roland tb-303 or yamaha gx-1 listed on there... i swear i heard a 303 line in minipops

One of the items on the list is the insanely vague "Modular systems/Eurorack", which could be referencing hundreds of different modules by dozens of different manufacturers right there, including several that sound rather TB-303-like.

Strange, though, that I see a few euro modules listed by name as well. I remember hearing that Intellijel got into making modules because he heard that Richard built his own synths. He must be pretty happy to see it come full circle!

Yes, it does seem a bit inconsistent. He lists some Cwejman modules too, for instance, but not e.g. the Metasonix ones.

Yes, it does seem a bit inconsistent. He lists some Cwejman modules too, for instance, but not e.g. the Metasonix ones.

It's still easily the most complete and accurate gear list we've ever gotten out of him, I think. I'm going to try to avoid staring at it for too long and making my wallet sad. :biggrin:

The description of "180dB_" in both FACT and The Quietus track-by-track reviews makes me think it might be the Snowbombing track. It is around the right BPM too.

@6.57 here for those who aren't familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLEMYXPkcE

FACT:

05 ’180db_’

Bit of a swagger here: this one’s got the confidence to roll with nothing more than the main riff, which is fuzzy and buzzy, and four-to-the-floor kick drum for large sections. It’s the first blatant dancefloor track of the record – bit of a shame it’s ironically the shortest one too, as it feels like it could quite happily just jam on for an age, especially after the straight beat turns into a break not a million miles from the Baby Ford ‘Helston Flora Remix’.

The Quietus:

The bpms creep up again for '180db_', which starts out as clattering techno with warped hoover noises, before a breakbeat is dropped and it turns into a slab of gnarly, crusty techno that sounds like something from a Spiral Tribe DJ set from a 90s free party rave-up.

Great call. I think you're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9QLBDI3he8

iBEwT7tEC0X2B.gif

I bet you a million that in the rolling stone interview, that someone found out where he lived, phoned a nearby neighbor, and offered to pay him money if he'd pretend to have a daughter with a boyfriend (him) doing a thesis... though I don't doubt the thesis bit. Heh. Seems too coincidental for me.

"Oh neighbor, so your daughter's boyfriend just so happens to be doing a thesis on me... oookay."

Edited by Brisbot

I bet you a million that in the rolling stone interview, that someone found out where he lived, phoned a nearby neighbor, and offered to pay him money if he'd pretend to have a daughter with a boyfriend (him) doing a thesis... though I don't doubt the thesis bit. Heh. Seems too coincidental for me.

"Oh neighbor, so your daughter's boyfriend just so happens to be doing a thesis on me... oookay."

This is what happens to Occam's razor in the age of beards

It's still easily the most complete and accurate gear list we've ever gotten out of him, I think. I'm going to try to avoid staring at it for too long and making my wallet sad. :biggrin:

Oh, yes, it's still nice to see his equipment list, especially the breakdown per track. It certainly satisfies my curiosity. I don't mean to complain, sorry. Well, I do, but only about him hoarding three PS-3300s! :)

Guest capitan mission

No idea if y'all have seen this, from the LP art

rK3ly4X.jpg

some interesting bits on that gear list.. who can decode the braille in the middle?

no FL studio, what have I been doing all my life?

jajaja, dont think that by buying that, one could make syro.

richard could make a ground breakin best track ever with fl studio.... just saying

The description of "180dB_" in both FACT and The Quietus track-by-track reviews makes me think it might be the Snowbombing track. It is around the right BPM too.

@6.57 here for those who aren't familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLEMYXPkcE

FACT:

05 ’180db_’

Bit of a swagger here: this one’s got the confidence to roll with nothing more than the main riff, which is fuzzy and buzzy, and four-to-the-floor kick drum for large sections. It’s the first blatant dancefloor track of the record – bit of a shame it’s ironically the shortest one too, as it feels like it could quite happily just jam on for an age, especially after the straight beat turns into a break not a million miles from the Baby Ford ‘Helston Flora Remix’.

The Quietus:

The bpms creep up again for '180db_', which starts out as clattering techno with warped hoover noises, before a breakbeat is dropped and it turns into a slab of gnarly, crusty techno that sounds like something from a Spiral Tribe DJ set from a 90s free party rave-up.

Great call. I think you're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9QLBDI3he8

iBEwT7tEC0X2B.gif

????

Guest MaxKDanielsson

dOff topic: Dose anyone see what headphones Richard is using in this picture, tried to figure out what the label says but no luck.aphex-twin-didascalia.jpg

dOff topic: Dose anyone see what headphones Richard is using in this picture, tried to figure out what the label says but no luck.aphex-twin-didascalia.jpg

They look like sony except with the S taped or marked over (like it looks like it says Rony with Sony's stylized S just alterred). Probably because he's not sponsored by a big company and doesn't want to give the impression he is. That said they look like alterred technics rpdh1200s

Edited by StephenG

I'm going through the list, it's a bit trollsy at times, with incorrect/backwards gear names.

I don't so actually, it all looks legitimate. Some of the names you think are incorrect are probably modified things, or different versions of things. Eg Midimoog instead of Minimoog is the Studio Electronics Midimoog: http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/midimoog.php

It's not incorrect per se, the wording is incorrect, "Moog Memory Lintronics" is the Lintronics Memory Moog. "Sergio Modular" is the Serge Modular. I actually believe this list is 100% legitimate, and I'm going to demonstrate why in another post, coming soon in this thread; the hottest Aphex hype train on the web.